LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 327 users in the forums

QB position up for competition next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Peyton Manning is deemed healthy and gets his release from the colts, do the 49ers make a run at him?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by trevorontario:
If Peyton Manning is deemed healthy and gets his release from the colts, do the 49ers make a run at him?

IF he is healthy then hell yes we should make run. With our defense and special teams we would probably win the super bowl with a healthy Peyton. Look how far we got with a marginal QB, just imagine if we had an all time great.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
i guess Kaep will never live down the gimmicky offense view you have. I guess this is based on pre-season (SINCE THEY ONLY HAD 5 SNAPS BETWEEN THEM AND HARBAUGH didn't think enough of Tolzien to give him a single snap)

Bottom line is Kap as not earned our praise nor our scorn. And you are basing all on pre-season. And based on that Alex Smith can't possibly beat the Saints this year. They'll blitz us into oblivion.

Like I was saying to JoeCool, I'm intrigued by the upcoming off-season.
Nobody will succeed in blitzin us into oblivion .. especially after this offseason

Here's a better question for yah:

Would you be willing to sign ONE high price FA (granted it's Manning) vs. trying to resign the core (multiple players) of this team?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by kidash98:

Would you be willing to sign ONE high price FA (granted it's Manning) vs. trying to resign the core (multiple players) of this team?

we have salary cap room to do both.
Originally posted by susweel:

How much do you think Manning will command? He made somewhere close to $18m this year... We have TONS of FA's that will require bank considering most made the All Pro. And what is our cap??

I'm confused by this thread.
Originally posted by goldstandard333:

You're right... This should stay on topic...

Originally posted by goldstandard333:

You're right... This should stay on topic...

With Harbaugh, the QB competition is always up for grabs to the person who gives the best chance to win. Look at Spencer, a vet and probably our best CB last year doesnt even make a start in favor of our old #3 CB who most thought was garbage outside of playing the slot and a rookie CB who spent more time at safety in college.

He said the things he needed to say to get Alex to play well. Come offseason, if Kap or Tolzein prove they are consistently anticipating routes and making "Eli Manning-like" over the shoulder touch throws to someone not named Vernon (cant believe I just said that ) then they will be the starter. If Alex has learned anything in the past 6-7 years... it's that his job is NEVER safe.

• MarkD
  • Veteran
Stupid stupid stupid
Originally posted by 5280High:
With Harbaugh, the QB competition is always up for grabs to the person who gives the best chance to win. Look at Spencer, a vet and probably our best CB last year doesnt even make a start in favor of our old #3 CB who most thought was garbage outside of playing the slot and a rookie CB who spent more time at safety in college.

He said the things he needed to say to get Alex to play well. Come offseason, if Kap or Tolzein prove they are consistently anticipating routes and making "Eli Manning-like" over the shoulder touch throws to someone not named Vernon (cant believe I just said that ) then they will be the starter. If Alex has learned anything in the past 6-7 years... it's that his job is NEVER safe.

I've been thinking about what was asked of Alex Smith when Harbaugh interviewed him (reportedly): Do you want to compete; or, do you want to wear a ball cap; and hold a clip board? I think it's the same scenario this off-season. Harbaugh may have said Alex was a long-term solution, in his eyes, but - I believe - it comes down to Alex believing that himself; and performing in that manner.
Originally posted by susweel:

How much do you think Manning will command? He made somewhere close to $18m this year... We have TONS of FA's that will require bank considering most made the All Pro. And what is our cap??

I think it would be sort of stupid to give a 37 year old QB with a history of serious neck injuries 18mil/year, even if he were deemed healthy. I'm not sure fans realize how serious neck injuries are and how Manning is still not healthy right now and still may be unable to play again.
I would be surprised if Alex is starting next year. There are too many QB's with higher ceilings than Smith. Alex would make a great back up.
Originally posted by fister30:
I would be surprised if Alex is starting next year. There are too many QB's with higher ceilings than Smith. Alex would make a great back up.

alex has an extrmelly high cieling i have no idea what youre seeing

yes qbs do have a higher cieling but they have a much lower floor as well
Share 49ersWebzone