There are 224 users in the forums

QB position up for competition next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Let's not kid ourselves. QB is Alex Smith's job to lose. He did nothing this past season to cause Harbaugh or anyone else to seriously consider replacing him with Kaepernick. Every draft prognosticator felt Kaep would take 2-3 years before he would be NFL ready. From what we saw in PS, they were right. Kaep did NOTHING, NADA to inspire any level of confidence that he could take over the QB spot in 2012. He needs a lot of work.

If nothing else, Harbaugh has proven he has one great Walshian quality: He will not put a player in a situation in which he does not feel he can succeed. He won't put Kaep on the field until he is sure he will succeed. As we noted, even when the game was clearly in hand this past year, Kaep didn't see the field except for one very small time. Clearly Harbaugh sees the need for a great deal of improvement.

Frankly, I was very disappointed in what I saw in the final PS game this past season. I had expected to see CK play pretty well but he had no touch on the ball. He threw into very obvious double coverage. He missed multiple reads. He just was not close to being ready. IOW, he proved the draftnicks correct. He will take another year or more to be ready.
  • dj43
Originally posted by pd24:
Matt Flynn.... I would sign him over Alex. Alex did a great job, but I think this kid understands what it means to throw a reciever open and is well versed in the WCO.

Do not confuse what Matt Flynn did with one of the very best receiving corps in the league with what the 49ers put out this last year. GB has multiple receivers who get separation on 90% of the plays. The 49ers have NO ONE that gets open on even 50% of the plays.

Let's not waste money on Matt Flynn when Marques Colston will bring much greater value...assuming we think the answer is in FA.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Matt Flynn.... I would sign him over Alex. Alex did a great job, but I think this kid understands what it means to throw a reciever open and is well versed in the WCO.

Do not confuse what Matt Flynn did with one of the very best receiving corps in the league with what the 49ers put out this last year. GB has multiple receivers who get separation on 90% of the plays. The 49ers have NO ONE that gets open on even 50% of the plays.

Let's not waste money on Matt Flynn when Marques Colston will bring much greater value...assuming we think the answer is in FA.

I just like the fact that he gets the ball out quick and is decisive. I think it's a trait he picked up from ARodg.
The question isn't if there is a competition. Just ask Harbaugh for the odds. You want them to compete. But let's face it. You aren't about to pay Alex Smith $10million a year because you think Kaepernick is going to push him for the riegns next season.

I bet we don't, I'm almost positive that we'll go the same direction that we did last year in FA, spending the money to secure players already on the roster and focusing on the draft.

I also think spending a boat load of money on someone like Colston would be a mistake when I'm sure there will a at least a couple WR's for half of the price that could fill the same spot. We need more than one WR, we need a couple, one I expect from the draft, and one or 2 in FA.

If I'm a bettin man I'm not putting money down that we spend big in FA this year, and although it'll raise grumblings on the board, I'm certain this is the the path we take, and I have no issues with it considering Baalke and Harbaugh will have FA's and kids coming out of the draft begging them to sign/draft them.
I cannot believe that after the season we had we still have zoners wanting a different qb.

Alex did exactly what Jim asked of him. Do you guys not get that? Jim did not want Alex to just throw the ball everytime he dropped back. He wanted to limit TO's and play ball control. His WCO had zero time to be implemented this year. We were playing with a limited playbook. VD stated it best by saying that he had a very hard time with the new system and really didn't get it until mid season. I know you guys know all of this but for the life of me I cannot understand why you cant put this stuff together. Do you not believe our HC or players? Did you think we were gonna be just like Green Bay in our 1st year of this new system?

We made the NFC campionship game and Alex played as well as the other qb. Both qb's faced great D's and both struggled to get anything going. One qb is gifted to to's and the ball on our 25 yard line and gets half of his points and the win because of it and he's a hero and a great qb and our guy needs to be replaced?

Sure Alex could have played better but he has zero wr help. You want him to throw guys open? great but if he tries that and gets a couple of picks you'd kill him over it wouldn't you!

Oh well, at least I can count on Jim to be rational. Lets see who wins this debate in the offseason. I'd be willing to put money on we go for weapons and not a starting qb.

I just like the fact that he gets the ball out quick and is decisive. I think it's a trait he picked up from ARodg.

Yeah but it would be hard to sign someone like that over one good game,,,, remember the Cards signing Kolb
  • dj43

It's always helpful to learn from a vet. It is also helpful to have confidence that at least one receiver will break open quickly so you CAN get the ball out quickly and decisively.
  • dj43
Originally posted by rk1642:
I cannot believe that after the season we had we still have zoners wanting a different qb.

Alex did exactly what Jim asked of him. Do you guys not get that? Jim did not want Alex to just throw the ball everytime he dropped back. He wanted to limit TO's and play ball control. His WCO had zero time to be implemented this year. We were playing with a limited playbook. VD stated it best by saying that he had a very hard time with the new system and really didn't get it until mid season. I know you guys know all of this but for the life of me I cannot understand why you cant put this stuff together. Do you not believe our HC or players? Did you think we were gonna be just like Green Bay in our 1st year of this new system?

We made the NFC campionship game and Alex played as well as the other qb. Both qb's faced great D's and both struggled to get anything going. One qb is gifted to to's and the ball on our 25 yard line and gets half of his points and the win because of it and he's a hero and a great qb and our guy needs to be replaced?

Sure Alex could have played better but he has zero wr help. You want him to throw guys open? great but if he tries that and gets a couple of picks you'd kill him over it wouldn't you!

Oh well, at least I can count on Jim to be rational. Lets see who wins this debate in the offseason. I'd be willing to put money on we go for weapons and not a starting qb.

Now you've gone and done it.

You have combined BOTH history and logic in NT. You should know better.

hehehe
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I don't see him lasting very long if the posts above are any indication.

To his post about Kap... Favre? Really? Yeah, he won a SB... but was one of the WORST QBs!!
I never understood all the hype about Favre. Had a great season, but largely hurt his teams with turnovers. Gun slinger? No thank you. Intelligent and methodical would be better, just add receiving threats.

The QB position, as all others, will be up for competition. It seems like Harbaughs way. Earn what you get, keep what you earn. I like that.
I agree. Favre was a turnover machine. I like him since he was fun to watch but glad he wasn't a Niner.

thats a trait he picked up from Wr who get seperation early all his WR qre quick

gereg jennigns james jones and jordy nelson

and btw alex gets the ball out quick too and hes decisive as well hence 5 int and top 10 comp % despite leading league in drops
Originally posted by rk1642:

This is not a rip of Alex Smith on my part, but I will always be open to see a better player take over in any position. That does not mean I am rooting against Alex Smith or anyone else on the team. I just happen to root for overall team improvement more than any one player having personal success. If a great player is replaced by an even greater player (rare of course) then I am down for that too. And I don't think Alex Smith is a great QB, even though I thought he did a very good job this season.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Jan 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM ]

Interesting statistics. Source?
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
1F She S1TLl TyP3s Lik DiZ... shes too young for you bro....

No idea what da hell you are talkin about .. bro..

"throw a receiver open"...

perfect phrase..

Alex just dont do that... for some reason...

He doesn't throw a receiver open...

thanks pd24... 100% agreed
Share 49ersWebzone