There are 193 users in the forums

QB position up for competition next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Let's not kid ourselves. QB is Alex Smith's job to lose. He did nothing this past season to cause Harbaugh or anyone else to seriously consider replacing him with Kaepernick. Every draft prognosticator felt Kaep would take 2-3 years before he would be NFL ready. From what we saw in PS, they were right. Kaep did NOTHING, NADA to inspire any level of confidence that he could take over the QB spot in 2012. He needs a lot of work.

If nothing else, Harbaugh has proven he has one great Walshian quality: He will not put a player in a situation in which he does not feel he can succeed. He won't put Kaep on the field until he is sure he will succeed. As we noted, even when the game was clearly in hand this past year, Kaep didn't see the field except for one very small time. Clearly Harbaugh sees the need for a great deal of improvement.

Frankly, I was very disappointed in what I saw in the final PS game this past season. I had expected to see CK play pretty well but he had no touch on the ball. He threw into very obvious double coverage. He missed multiple reads. He just was not close to being ready. IOW, he proved the draftnicks correct. He will take another year or more to be ready.
well thats pretty easy to see...

he had no real offseason.. plus had to study, get some reps, and study again...

He definetely has the studying down by now.. and with tis offseason.. he's a new legitimate contender..
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Tolzien should start next year.
Originally posted by VA49er:
The question isn't if there is a competition. Just ask Harbaugh for the odds. You want them to compete. But let's face it. You aren't about to pay Alex Smith $10million a year because you think Kaepernick is going to push him for the riegns next season.

would've been a good point if we signed him for more than one year.. LOL....

nothing against you.. just sayin..
Originally posted by dj43:
Now you've gone and done it.

You have combined BOTH history and logic in NT. You should know better.

hehehe

LOL
Originally posted by SF49_Benitez:
Originally posted by VA49er:
The question isn't if there is a competition. Just ask Harbaugh for the odds. You want them to compete. But let's face it. You aren't about to pay Alex Smith $10million a year because you think Kaepernick is going to push him for the riegns next season.

would've been a good point if we signed him for more than one year.. LOL....

nothing against you.. just sayin..

He is referring to the likely future contract.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
This is not a rip of Alex Smith on my part, but I will always be open to see a better player take over in any position. That does not mean I am rooting against Alex Smith or anyone else on the team. I just happen to root for overall team improvement more than any one player having personal success. If a great player is replaced by an even greater player (rare of course) then I am down for that too. And I don't think Alex Smith is a great QB, even though I thought he did a very good job this season.

Perfectly said.. you just said it waaayyy better than me..
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
He is referring to the likely future contract.

oh ok.. my bad bro..

*I do think though.. (If thats alright.. LOL).. that alex will get another season or two.. only under contract... as for being our starter... well,.. IDK..
Peyton! We need Peyton to come on over for about two to three years and add to the collection of trophies.

We need boosters to help make this happen.
[ Edited by fister30 on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM ]
Originally posted by fister30:
Peyton! We need Peyton to come on over for about two to three years and add to the collection of trophies.

No, the 49ers don't need a guy who's one hit away from filing his papers.
Originally posted by lssanjose:
Originally posted by fister30:

No, the 49ers don't need a guy who's one hit away from filing his papers.
peyton is one hit from being a vegetable. I would only take him if he were let go but trading for him is not worth it esp. since our defense is only a couple of additions from being the best defense in NFL history. We need our draft picks

But think how unbeatable we would be with manning and we would serve as a great mentor to Kap

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
peyton is one hit from being a vegetable. I would only take him if he were let go but trading for him is not worth it esp. since our defense is only a couple of additions from being the best defense in NFL history. We need our draft picks

But think how unbeatable we would be with manning and we would serve as a great mentor to Kap

I don't know, I think there would have to be some accommodations, like bringing in Tom Moore's offense.
Originally posted by susweel:
Tolzien should start next year.

Super Bowl...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF49_Benitez:
Originally posted by pd24:
Matt Flynn.... I would sign him over Alex. Alex did a great job, but I think this kid understands what it means to throw a reciever open and is well versed in the WCO.

"throw a receiver open"...

perfect phrase..

Alex just dont do that... for some reason...

He doesn't throw a receiver open...

thanks pd24... 100% agreed

its not AS fault.... the WR's dont get open
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If he doesn't get injured, Alex Smith will be the starter, Kaepernick is not ready, Tolzien is more ready than Kaepernick.

i guess Kaep will never live down the gimmicky offense view you have. I guess this is based on pre-season (SINCE THEY ONLY HAD 5 SNAPS BETWEEN THEM AND HARBAUGH didn't think enough of Tolzien to give him a single snap)

Bottom line is Kap as not earned our praise nor our scorn. And you are basing all on pre-season. And based on that Alex Smith can't possibly beat the Saints this year. They'll blitz us into oblivion.
it will be alex smith , he finally earning his keep. Played well this year , didnt turn ball over.
Share 49ersWebzone