There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Last 3 Offensive Possessions

Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Originally posted by zoomcrypt:
Originally posted by theduke85:
This is basically the same conclusion I came to. I was so sad last night. All I could think about was how awful of an ending the Kyle Williams fiasco was to an awesome game. However, I quickly started coming around, and realize that our offense did absolutely NOTHING the last six drives of the game or so. Kyle Williams sure as hell didnt' help and definitely sealed the game, but our offense -- Alex Smith in particular -- deserves their HUGE share of the blame. How many times in the closing minutes of the game and overtime did Smith roll out and short-arm his receiver by about five yards? It was a pathetic display.

those aren't shortarms. those are throw aways basicaly beceause the receiver isn't really open. did you see the completion to davis that was short of a first down? my god that window was tiny and he gunned it in there.....problem was that's about the biggest window he had for passes all day :S

Not true. You have to throw guys open and we know Alex is incapable of doing that consistently.

On the contrary. But to wrap this one up, I expect to see several new receivers next season. With good hands.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
This is basically the same conclusion I came to. I was so sad last night. All I could think about was how awful of an ending the Kyle Williams fiasco was to an awesome game. However, I quickly started coming around, and realize that our offense did absolutely NOTHING the last six drives of the game or so. Kyle Williams sure as hell didnt' help and definitely sealed the game, but our offense -- Alex Smith in particular -- deserves their HUGE share of the blame. How many times in the closing minutes of the game and overtime did Smith roll out and short-arm his receiver by about five yards? It was a pathetic display.

those aren't shortarms. those are throw aways basicaly beceause the receiver isn't really open. did you see the completion to davis that was short of a first down? my god that window was tiny and he gunned it in there.....problem was that's about the biggest window he had for passes all day :S

Not true. You have to throw guys open and we know Alex is incapable of doing that consistently.

Throwing receivers open takes practice and rapport. You just don't jump on the field and start throwing receivers open in with you don't have rapport. The problem is WRs haven't been healthy and practicing. Practice matters. Rapport matters. Smith trusts Davis. He doesn't trust Crabtree. There's a lot of evidence to Smith has every right not to trust Crabtree.

Regardless the strength of the team isn't the passing game, it's the running game. They needed to run and they didn't.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:38 AM ]
totally agree. we got away from our game. gore was finding room to run. kendall hunter made some nice plays. i especially liked that little toss-misdirection play for Hunter they ran a couple times. in this respect, maybe being too confident based on last week's success throwing the ball against the saints. the giants secondary is much more talented. we needed to just stick to our style of play.
Was thinking the exact same things. Especially when had our first possession in OT.
The possession that stood out to me was, 3 plays, 0 yards, and like 18 seconds off the clock. I think it was the one right before our very last possession in regulation.
[ Edited by DFW49erFan on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM ]

He nevers throws recievers open and that a problem. This loss isn't all on him but he gets blame too.
Great post NinerGM. The pass happy strategy at the end of the game was ridiculous. I was begging them to run the ball since NY was playing the pass. Roman should have used the run to set up the pass towards the end of the 4th quarter.
I was waiting for some screens.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
As much as Kyle Williams' muffed fumbles affected the game, it's really hard to for me to push out of my mind the play-calling on the last three offensive possessions. Despite Harbaugh saying at the half that we would "get back to basics", the 49ers mysteriously abandon their running game particularly during the 4th quarter. I didn't quite understand why we kept trying to go back to the deep, play-action passes on 1st down when we had only converted on 3rd and long the entire game. The coverage refused to give up a big play after they had allowed two. Gore and Hunter were clearly having success - and with the best FG kicker in the league, it seemed as if the coaching staff played the "we can go for it all or go for over-time" strategy. It was clear the patterns/schemes/passing plays weren't pushing a "take what the defense gave you" or at least Smith wasn't interested in that. Gore -as a receiver - was having success underneath which tells me the coverage was very deep.

What's most hard to swallow was at 1:47 and with 3 timeouts, the 49ers decided to throw the ball three times even though their receivers hadn't been open all day. I'm not quite sure why the 49ers did this and why that strategy was called. I'm willing to bet, Jeep Chryst took over the play-calling and as a QB coach was more pass-oriented? I think it's the coaching staff from whom this game got away from in the end. So we essentially have 3 coordinators and I can see how there are strengths in this - Tom Drevno, Jeep Chryst and Roman all are involved in play-calling with Harbaugh as the "manager". I think we possibly may have bought a little too much into our previous game's success (passing) as a rule and abandoned what earned this team a 13-3 record.

Running the ball.

those 3 passes with 1:47 left bothered me too...it brought to mind the seahawks game 2 season ago where niners did same thing and ended up losing by giving the seahawks the ball back with time to move downfield...the giants didnt score after the niners punted but they should not have had the chance to...plus a run may have surprised the giants and been broken for a big gain