There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Blame Game

Alex Smith and the WR's are the single biggest reason the game was even close. If they had played, at least a decent game.....the Niners would have had a lead that could of absorbed bad calls and fumbles.

The Defense played a monster game that most offenses could have supported into a 2 possesion lead
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
ALSO! WTF was up with Dashon Goldson, that guy was so focused on pickin that ball off twice and almost killed Rogers and he Owned T.BROWN, Us losing TBROWN hurt a lot in the secondary cause they were puttin a hurt on Brock. We had 2 INTS with Rogers and Brown, but goldson was so focused on makin a big play he didn't care, so i say part of it falls on GOLDSON

You do know that Goldson was going for the int. Those things just happen sometimes. It wasn't intentional. And Rodgers dropped the ball before Goldson even made contact. That 3 and 15 touchdown on Brock to Manningham was a killer.
Good coaching puts their team in a position to win, did not see that yesterday.
Injuries play a part in every sport. Having injuries at the wrong time of the season is the killer blow!
Williams made a large mental mistake on nearly every play he was involved in. The fumble on the reverse, the muffed punt and the fumble that shouldn't all REALLY hurt us obviously. But that was only the beginning. He also fair caught a punt where he could have ran at least 10 yards unimpeded, and had to make a diving catch on another punt which would have been better left to simply hit the ground and roll. He did have the return the 45 that was a big play, I will give him that. But he made huge mental mistakes in nearly every other instance, and the 2 biggest (the OT fumble and the muff in the 4th) put the defense in an almost impossible position. There are other guys who didn't play well (the WRs were terrible (but again Kyle is one of them), Alex missing some open guys, and Carlos Rogers had his worst game. But Kyle Williams was flat out awful mentally and physically on almost every play and that clearly outweighs any coach or players failure.

We don't know if we would have won without his HUGE mistakes, but you can say that he is the main reason we lost. Because there was essentially no way for us to possibly win after the last fumble other than Tynes missing a 90+% field goal.
1. Williams. Sorry kid. I dont hate you but your errors killed us
2. A close second is the offensive game plan. Especially going away from Gore and Hunter on 1st down. The run was there. The deep ball was there, yet we kept running curl and out patterns short of the first down which is where the Giants wanted us to go. Overall the offensive attack was poorly designed. I really believe Gore would have got the job done.
3. WR. I wish I knew if there was something behind the scenes with Braylon Edwards release. His production was poor but releasing him just didnt feel right to me. He is a big body and a veteran compared to our remaining receivers. I'm a fan of Harbaugh and all but it felt like this may have been an ego move. I could be wrong but when Brett Swain is next up????? Really? I thought the decision was wrong then and it bit us in the a$$. I wonder if Braylon was watching and laughing.
4. FORWARD PROGRESS. I hope this bites the Giants in the bowl. Kind like when Eli was in the grasp during the last Super Bowl and the officials let the play go and he completed a huge pass. The official blew the whistle too soon. Bradshaw could have spun out of or broke free of the tackle and gained positive yards. I dont believe it was a conspiracy by the refs but I believe it was premature and definately changed the game.

I will not blame Carlos Rogers. Early on the Giants threw well and there seemed to be confusion in our secondary. But I saw Carlos with some damn good coverage. He was a great pickup and we need him back. We really need him back.
KW cost us the game.

But our passing game and lack of third down conversions also cost us the game.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
10 points off of two turnovers THE difference
the end
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Harbaugh looks the guy in the eye and asks him... "can you do this, Kyle?" and if the eyes say he still has his confidence, then Jim says "get back out there and do better."

Risky, but shows faith in his players. Just failed us yesterday.

... and getting away from the run was troubling. Gore and Hunter looked pretty spectacular on some runs, and our WRs suck donkey-balls.

All my non Niner friends watching the game kept asking why aren't yall just running the ball. You have nobody to throw to and the run game was productive. And JH and Roman have to give up on this bringing in defensive lineman in short yardage idea. Justin Smith shouldn't be trying to block Giants linebackers on short yardage.

The play calling overall was very shaky. You can tell Roman doesn't know how to call a complete game.

I think your final two comments are worth looking at a bit more closely. The team started the season with a very clear strategy derived from a limited playbook. We're familiar with that formula: limit turnovers, win the field position battle, and stubbornly grind the other defense down until you can impose your will on them. As the season progressed and the playbook expanded, the team's tight, well-defined strategy became increasingly nebulous and surprisingly pass heavy.

From a strategy stand point, I'm really not sure what to make of the final month of the regular season and the playoffs. It frequently felt as if they had a checklist of cool plays that they wanted to run and they set aside any sense of large-scale strategy in an effort to set up the killer plays on their checklist. Given that the Gore injury significantly reduced the potency of the run game for a period of weeks, some of this was to be expected. Moreover, they clearly needed to expand the depth of the playbook. But my overall impression was that by the end of the season it often felt as if they were simply trying to move the ball on a catch as catch can basis, rather than developing coherent strategies for consistent ball movement within each game. Bluntly, they weren't taking what defenses were giving them. Rather than punch the cut eye, they seemed hell-bent on establishing some sort of short/mid-range passing game that often looked very ugly and frequently failed to move the ball.

No, I don't think anyone, aside from a few loose cannons, are calling for Roman's job. And, no, I'm not saying that Roman sucks. Far from it, he did an incredible job this year. Nevertheless, I think some friendly and limited criticism is warranted. Considering the degree to which the offense's strategy was overhauled during the course of the season, it seems reasonable to ask (yet again), "What kind of offense are we trying to run and which types of players do we need to make that happen?"
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
ALSO! WTF was up with Dashon Goldson, that guy was so focused on pickin that ball off twice and almost killed Rogers and he Owned T.BROWN, Us losing TBROWN hurt a lot in the secondary cause they were puttin a hurt on Brock. We had 2 INTS with Rogers and Brown, but goldson was so focused on makin a big play he didn't care, so i say part of it falls on GOLDSON

Yeah damnit Goldson stop trying make plays!

Kyle Williams spotted them 10 simple as that
i wanted more Frank. that's all i can realy complain about game plan wise.....

oh ya double reverse with wet ball....

other than that. no purpose for this thread.
pull Kyle Williams for who exactly? Isaac Sopoaga?
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
10 points off of two turnovers THE difference
the end

Its the harsh truth, Kyle Williams made TWO costly mistakes that cost us the game ....end of season

I'm disappointed , but all my anger and disappointment could never make me say cruel things about the guy or wish harm to come to him , some people need to chill the f*ck out
Biggest, most imminent reason was Williams. Though there were too underlying issues that were costly.
Roman isn't going to be fired, nor should he. Upgrade talent at the WR position, and get those guys in sync early with Smith next training camp, they will actually get first downs in games & people will not be so overly suspicious of playcalling being the cause of offensive ineptidude.