There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Did I HEAR correctly Jerry Rice?

Jerry....what did the Raiders do to you?
  • titan
  • Veteran
If Rice and Montana played in this NFL they would own every record for a QB and WR!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Joe Montana lead his team to Superbowl wins

Tom Brady put his team in position to win Superbowl's.

WAY easier to get to the 30 yard line to kick a field goal then trying to get a game winning touchdown.
Both QB's were or are badasses, played in different times, impossible to say who is or was "better", but both will considered top 5 for a long time.
I would never here this kind of talk with the people at 'The Stick.' I bet half off the webzone faithful don't even know bout 'Tony Montana.' Rice greatest 49er ever. So he may not be the best on camera but cut him some slack. I will never ever get tired of hearing/seeing what Jerry Rice has to say even if I agree/don't. He is a niners faithful.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It's hilarious homerism that people think being 4-1 (if it happens) in SBs is better than 4-0. It means he GOT to the SB one more time AND won as many. It means it's one more success than Joe had of winning a Conference championship game when he had the chance. And certainly if he wins more than 4 and/or has 4 wins but maybe 2 or 3 losses, it is a better record of success than Joe's in terms of getting to and/or winning SBs.

Not getting to the Superbowl is worse than getting there and loosing. It means you lost earlier in the playoffs. Not that you didn't lose.

I love Joe and will always consider him the best personally. But getting to more SBs is the winning tie breaker if you have won the same number.

Agreed. Montana losing in the 1st round of the playoffs is not better than Tom Brady losing in the Super Bowl.

That being said in 23 games Joe Montana has a 95.6 qb rating. In 18 games Tom Brady has a 85.5 playoff rating. Tom's going to have to win 5 Super Bowls before he can talk.

There are plenty of reasons to consider Joe better. And I do. I just find the math on 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, or whatever hillarious. And who is "better" will always be debatable by fans and pundits, but if Brady wins another, he will have had more SB success than Montana. Getting there an extra time (even if you lose) isn't a negative when comparing SB success.
It's hilarious homerism that people think being 4-1 (if it happens) in SBs is better than 4-0. It means he GOT to the SB one more time AND won as many. It means it's one more success than Joe had of winning a Conference championship game when he had the chance. And certainly if he wins more than 4 and/or has 4 wins but maybe 2 or 3 losses, it is a better record of success than Joe's in terms of getting to and/or winning SBs.

Not getting to the Superbowl is worse than getting there and loosing. It means you lost earlier in the playoffs. Not that you didn't lose.

I love Joe and will always consider him the best personally. But getting to more SBs is the winning tie breaker if you have won the same number.

I'm sorry, that logic means that Dallas is better than us being 5-3, and I cannot agree with that statement.

Denver Broncos are 2-4; that means they rank ahead of us too??
[ Edited by 4t9ers on Jan 21, 2012 at 7:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Joe Montana lead his team to Superbowl wins

Tom Brady put his team in position to win Superbowl's.

WAY easier to get to the 30 yard line to kick a field goal then trying to get a game winning touchdown.

This. One more lil note. Montana got his over da course of a decade(actually 8, 81-89). Montana RULED a whole decade(for da most part). Brady ruled jus under a half decade & kinda fell off(non stat wise). I told someone I was debating Montana v Brady, if Brady does what Montana did on the same time span, then their equal. If Brady does more, then I would give it to Brady. Montana got 4(SBs') in 8(seasons), Brady is on his 11th or 12 year &! he still! May not get 1(knock on wood 4 da niners). Montana is the G.O.A.T., jus me doe
Originally posted by 4t9ers:

I'm sorry, that logic means that Dallas is better than us being 5-3, and I cannot agree with that statement.

Denver Broncos are 2-4; that means they rank ahead of us too??

Exactly. Elway was 2-3 in Super Bowls. Joe... well, you know the score. Not even in the same f**king ballpark, IMO. Ask Bronco fans if Joe would be in Elway's category if Joe was 2-3 and Elway was 4-0. No fn way, ever.

Ridiculous that I even had to spend 52 seconds typing this s**t.

Enjoy 2-nd tier status. Joe's #1