There are 137 users in the forums

What 49er player(s) have changed your opinion of them this season, EXCEPT ALEX SMITH

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Justin Smith this year was not as good as he's been in years past for us. You obviously weren't watching very closely if you didn't think he was a DPOY worthy player with us at any point. He's been the best player on this team since he got here.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Goldson
Morgan. Despite the injury. God, we have missed him.
He's been the best player on this team since he got here.

Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Justin Smith this year was not as good as he's been in years past for us. You obviously weren't watching very closely if you didn't think he was a DPOY worthy player with us at any point. He's been the best player on this team since he got here.
i disagree with that. him and willis have been neck-n-neck.

it is like asking do you want 4 million quarters or 1 million dollars.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
He's been the best player on this team since he got here.

Originally posted by Evilgenius:
i disagree with that. him and willis have been neck-n-neck.

it is like asking do you want 4 million quarters or 1 million dollars.

I had to do the math for a second on that one.
-Anthony Davis

-Carlos Rogers (eating crow because i singled him out as a player i didn't want to pursue in FA because of his stone hands )
-Joe Staley (still don't think he's a pro bowler)
  • mike
  • Veteran
Anthony Davis is the main one for me even though speed rushers(chris long/suggs/ware) still give him problems. Hes matured a lot, and I figured he would considering he was just a young 21 year old rookie

I'm still honestly not that impressed with crabtree, he still has to prove he can be an elite #1 wr.

I didn't know enough about carlos rogers or whitner so I had no opinions of them. I actually liked Dashon, I just didn't think he was an elite safety. Now I know he is so I guess that's changed.
Adam Snyder
Anthony Davis
Carlos Rogers
Tarell Brown
Dashon Goldson
You have named all of the players I had in mind when I opened this thread. Here are a couple that fell through the cracks:

Ray McDonald - When it was determined that Sopoaga was going to move inside and McDonald was going to start I thought for sure our run defense would suffer but he would make it up with some pass rush ability. Quite the opposite; McDonald hasn't gotten to the QB much but I think that is more a product of what they ask him to do rather than a knock on him. Watching him during the game he rarely gives ground, holds his gaps, and regularly takes on multiple blockers. Even with his tiny sack numbers, he is a big reason why this defense can get away with only rushing 3 or 4 players at a time.

Ted Ginn - We all know he has speed but I always thought his stride was too long for him to be a consistent returner. He has CONSISTENTLY given this team excellent field position. Sure, I wish he could translate that speed into the passing game, but that ship appears to have sailed. The good news is that we have a coaching staff that is smart enough to design plays that take advantage of our players' strengths. I love that fly sweep and I guarantee we see it more in the Giants game to keep their speed rushers from getting a good jump. We haven't really seen the play fake on that play. It would be perfect to "pause" JPP and the others and give Smith a chance to throw back to the opposite side. Look for it.

Colin Jones - I know some of you said that "opinions can't change for rookies." Well, I'll include him anyway. I hated the pick and I didn't think he had a chance to make the team. We were already overloaded with safeties and we had a ton of "ST" guys (Spillman, Dixon, Gooden, Costanzo, etc.) He made some huge plays for the team against the Saints and seems to be a favorite of Seely.

Alex Boone - This is a bit of a stretch, but he has come such a long way that I am proud to see him get on the field. He has become an integral part of the "BIG" packages on offense and has shown he can hold his own in spot duty for Staley and Davis. I'm glad we locked him down for a few years.

Larry Grant - He only played in a few games but he filled in extremely well for Willis. He is really the only backup ILB for the two positions so I really hope we resign him but he may have priced himself off the team. He played so well in those starts that there has got to be a team willing to pay him to start.
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Braylon Edwards. I thought he would do great!

There is not a single player on the team whose good performance has surprised me much. I was laughed at for saying we had some of the best talent in the league when we were losing.
I was a little bit worried about Soap, but not really. I knew McDonald was good, I knew Bowman had huge talent.
The rookies are a different story, but I guess they're a different type of discussion.
When I saw Aldon Smith in the pre-season, I knew we were going to have a great defense.

Another poster already said it, Braylon Edwards getting cut surprised me a lot.
Oh ya, and Spencer too, just as surprised with him, I always thought he was a very good man cover corner.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM ]
  • Ether
  • Veteran
WTF @ ppl who said Anthony Davis. How could you have made a judgement on a 21 year old Rookie Offensive Tackle who switched positions when he first came into the league?
alex smith
did anyone have the 49ers taking Aldon Smith with their 1st pick of the draft?
Originally posted by Ether:
WTF @ ppl who said Anthony Davis. How could you have made a judgement on a 21 year old Rookie Offensive Tackle who switched positions when he first came into the league?

Two words:

Kwame Harris

Obviously AD has turned out to be 10x the player Kwame was, and thank god for that.
Share 49ersWebzone