LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

What 49er player(s) have changed your opinion of them this season, EXCEPT ALEX SMITH

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Coming into this season we had ALOT of 1 year contracts, and for good reason. Case in point, Dashon Goldson

Dashon Goldson:
Dashon was a large part of our Defense in 2009, 94 Tackles/ 2 Sacks/ 3 FF/ 1 recovery/ 4 INT's.
2010 was supposed to be his breakout year and also happened to be a contract year, he should have had all the motivation in the world to put up big numbers and become the playmaker we knew he could be. If you've ever seen him up close with his pad's off, he's a specimen like VD. All muscle mass and BIG. ALot of players look smaller up close, but Dashon is one of the few that is the opposite.

2010 was a big disappointment, every stat went down, and left with only 1 sack and 1 INT, zero FF . Come the offseason, no team gave him a respectable offer...and after we signed Whitner and Williams , Dashon took a low ball offer to stay with us, THANK GOD HE DID!

2011, I am at training camp, he looks like he's being treated like a 4th stringer and he looks discruntled, I cant blame him. However, he came to camp IN SHAPE! He really looked ready, compared to many others...cough A. Dixon . I questioned Dashon's level of commitment to the game and his preperation in 2010. Was he one of the "Ballers" who played for the $$$ but was more concerned with the celebrity lifestyle???? HE PROVED ME WRONG, AND I'M GLAD HE DID

Dashon has been one of goto playmakers and has completely changed games with his ball hawk plays and HARD HITTING tackles... he absolutely punishes any player that catches a pass in his coverage. His hands and ability to watch the QB's eyes have been AMAZING, he is playing like a CB. I am willing to compare him to Willis as the "heat sinking missile" of our secondary. Our secondary, especially Safety, has been our weakpoint for years, BUT not this season...Safety is a strong position now

Stats so far for 2011:
Regular Season: 14 Games played, 67 Tackles/ 0 Sacks/ 1 FF/ 1 FR/ 6 INT's Post Season: 11 Tackles (all solo ), 0 sacks/FF/FR, 1 INT for 41yds, 2 Pass defends.

For our 2012 off season, I wanted to franchise tag Goldson... but will his play late in the season... I want to resign him And I'm sure he wants to stay!!!

Another player that has changed my negative opinoin of:

Tarell Brown:

When we drafted T. Brown out of Texas, I was really excited and believed that he could be a solid starter for us...that never seemed to come to fruition. He just never played the ball well and was always a step behind his man and gave up big plays. As a matter of fact, Tramaine Brock, seemed to outplay Brown. But just like Goldson he has opened my eyes and has began to make plays on the ball and get some nice pass defends when it counts most. He still makes mistakes but he has really come a long way this season and should be a starter for us on our nickle and dime packages

Stats: Regular season: 40 Tackles (36 solo), 4 INT's (He had 5 total in 4 previous seasons), 15 Pass Defends
Post Season: 4 Tackles (3 solo), 1 INT (against Brees ), 2 PD's

Please share yours, maybe they will see this thread and see how much they are appreciated for stepping up their game!
[ Edited by irishluder on Jan 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM ]
Anthony (Kwame ) Davis.
I was gonna say Tarell Brown and Anthony Davis.

Issac Sopoaga too because I thought we would struggle without A. Franklin, but he's stepped up and played better that him.
Both players you mentioned have stepped on their game. Michael Crabtree is another.
Anthony Davis, he's really matured throughout the year. Adam Snyder, has been STOUT as RG, played very well this season.
Goldson
Brown
A. Davis
Where does one start with this list because their has been so much improvement overall? Honetly folks, the potential was always there but they weren't motivated enough to take that step. Look at last years scores. Many close games. This year the coaching staff has them believing they can win. Watch the locker room film from when they beat the Bengals. The players hadn't completely bought into the "Who's got it better than us" bit. There was some eye rolling by players in the clip and the breakdown huddle was loose. Fast forward that to any late season game and I would say that 99% of the players are now "all in". I really cant point at a good case of regression other than Norris who has needed to go anyway.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Goldson
Brown
A. Davis

AGREED
The improved secondary is giving an already stout defensive that extra bump.
TBrown- i never really give UDFAs much respect, esp. if they havent been in the league for at least 4 years but this guy is straight up ballin this year. He is really making me rethink drafting a corner in the 1st

Issac Sopoaga- I didnt think he would be able to man down the middle but he proved me wrong.

Dashon GOldson- i dont even need to say anything about Goldson but smack myself in the face for thinking we didnt need him

Goldson.
Brown was drafted by us man. Crabtree dissapointed me saturday, dropped alot of balls that we're DEAD on by ALex.

For me the whole teams stepped up.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
TBrown- i never really give UDFAs much respect, esp. if they havent been in the league for at least 4 years but this guy is straight up ballin this year. He is really making me rethink drafting a corner in the 1st

Issac Sopoaga- I didnt think he would be able to man down the middle but he proved me wrong.

Dashon GOldson- i dont even need to say anything about Goldson but smack myself in the face for thinking we didnt need him

TBrown was not undrafted.

Also, I can't believe Raji made the pro-bowl over Sope. The NT of one of the worst run defenses in the league over the NT of the best run D EVER.
Honestly Crabtree. This year he has played better and better. I hope next year he goes through training camp and is healthy because I am excited to see him finally flash the talent I thought he had. In college, he would break tackles and make plays. He has shown that this year. And Goldson of course.
Chilo Rachael: Coming into the season I thought he got a raw deal. Now I realized that he really does suck ass.
Share 49ersWebzone