There are 284 users in the forums

What 49er player(s) have changed your opinion of them this season, EXCEPT ALEX SMITH

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brown I thought he would get roasted this past weekend and he didn't and made a great pick. I'll eat crow for it
Can't believe no one has said Bowman. LB tends to be a position that if you're a good one, you tend to be good from the beginning, from your rookie year. I'm glad Bowman is an exception to that rule.
[ Edited by andes14 on Jan 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM ]
Originally posted by andes14:
Can't believe no one has said Bowman. LB tends to be a position that if you're a good one, you tend to be good from the beginning, from your rookie year. I'm glad Bowman is an exception to that rule.

I thought the same thing too. I was bit worried when Takeo Spikes left, but Bowman showed up huge. Before this season I thought that he was going to be just a dependable guy, but not spectacular.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Honestly Crabtree. This year he has played better and better. I hope next year he goes through training camp and is healthy because I am excited to see him finally flash the talent I thought he had. In college, he would break tackles and make plays. He has shown that this year. And Goldson of course.

for a while there at the beginning of the season it seemed like he would go down at the first sign of contact and never had good yac/rac. but as the season progressed he really started to make plays and break more tackles. i dont know if the early part of the season was based on injury or fatigue, but he really started to pick it up the more he played. had a few drops last game, but its the playoffs, i expected that. then he had the td grab and made up for it.
David Akers, always believed him to be a "good" kicker, he convinced me that he is an elite kicker (if there is such a thing)
Tarell Brown. I doubted him coming into the season and he's done nothing but improve and improve.
Defensive backs playing on one-year contracts in advance of lucrative pay days in free agency. So in that respect, none of them have changed my mind. I guess you have to credit Trent Baalke for signing guys like that who are playing lights out. Two guys I like even more, that I already liked, are Delaine Walker and Justin Smith. Walker was starting to block like a total stud on crack back from motion, and he's always a threat to catch it, whereas he used to be just a big quasi-receiver. Justin Smith I think we already loved, but he seems to have just taken it to another level with upgraded talent around him. I didn't realize he was THAT good. He pushed All-Pro linemen around like rag dolls against the Saints.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
uh, yeah... can I copy and paste the roster here?

Most of those mentioned all changed my opinion too... but also

Adam Snyder - I think Joe Staley channeled his inner Adam Snyder while blocking for Smith on that run... Snyder never quits on a play - better than servicable which is all I thought he was.

Kyle Williams - I thought this was going to be another small frail WR that has speed but couldn't either A) apply it to game or speed or B) Catch the stinkin ball. He's been a nice addition that I think might have a future.

Carlos Rogers - I was pretty dissapointed with this signing... he has proven me way wrong... a lot better than I thought

The ROOKIES!

Aldon Smith - living in KS I watched him play a lot at MU, but I didn't expect this at all.. I thought it would be at least 2-3 years before he was having any kind of impact

Chris Culliver - a lot made of that pick, he has been very good, physical and fast

Bruce Miller - WHAAAAAA? I really figured this guy would end up being a LB and mostly playing ST... OOOPS

Kendal Hunter - another big 12 player that I got to see a lot of, but still didn't think he would have this much of an impact this year
Brown...I never thought he was a weakness but I thought his upside was being a very good nickel corner. He is a very formidable #2.

Adam Snyder...never gave him a lot of respect, didn't think he was starter material, but he is very valuable. Good starting RG, good speed on his pulls, and being able to get a starting quality center when Goodwin goes down for a bit is pretty valuable.
The ROOKIES!

Aldon Smith - living in KS I watched him play a lot at MU, but I didn't expect this at all.. I thought it would be at least 2-3 years before he was having any kind of impact

Chris Culliver - a lot made of that pick, he has been very good, physical and fast

Bruce Miller - WHAAAAAA? I really figured this guy would end up being a LB and mostly playing ST... OOOPS

Kendal Hunter - another big 12 player that I got to see a lot of, but still didn't think he would have this much of an impact this year
How could you change your opinion on a 1st year player?

This may upset some of you but I'm gonna say

JUSTIN SMITH

I knew he was hella good but ...not DPOY good. Who knew that the guy was so clutch? He absolutely won the eagles and giants games for us with pure "clutchness".

Did anyone here ever think he'd have a better year than polamalu, clay Matthews, revis, Harrison and Patrick Willis?!
goldson and brown

i didnt think brown was any good at all- hes definitally a serviceable CB

and although goldson still needs to work on his tackling and mechanics and angles a bit he is still a beast and is a hawk
ADDING SOME MORE:

Anthony Davis:

Anthony Davis is a good one to add, even though its only his 2nd season, I have to say that i LOVE his mean streak. I think its the best since Larry Allen (FA G from Dallas). Davis is the first to grab a player that messes with Alex Smith or our RB's. He has cut down on his penalties and is covering the right side much better.

FA:

Carlos Rodgers:

2011 Free Agency was insane, a week of insanity, the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes was an emotional roller coaster for fans who wanted a top tier CB. We all knew our DEF was good, but lacked a true shutdown corner. Enter Carlos Rogers, former top 10 pick, who didn't live up to his draft status. Similar to adding Braylon Edwards, could a change of scenery re-ignite his passion to succeed in the NFL and play to the level he was drafted? YOU BET YOUR A$$ IT DID! We may have missed out on Nnamdi, who slightly disappointed this season, but we got a great player in Rodgers. He has been phenomenal in coverage AND run support. A great FA signing, and HE WANTS TO BE BACK next season. Really excited to give him a 4 year deal and draft another CB early for Rodger to tutelage.

2011 Regular: 44 Tackles, 41 Solo , 18 Pass Defends, 6 INT's, 1 was returned for a TD
2011 Post Season: 2 Tackles both were solo, 3 Pass Defends... this means that Brees stayed away from Rodgers... Rodgers Island

Donte Whitner:

Remember MARK ROMAN , that name gives me instant flashbacks to plays that should never be remebered! Our safety situation looked meek going into FA. Goldson under preformed in 2010 and didn't look like he was coming back, Taylor Mays was already called a bust (thanks Dingleberry ), and Reggie Smith couldn't stay healthy. Enter Donte Whitner, who like Rodgers was a top ten pick that didn't pan out, mainly due to the DEF that Buffalo ran. Whitner has been really good in run support and has played coverage very well. His play in our playoff game set the tone. He destroyed Pierre Thomas...I could tell from the upper deck of the stadium that Thomas was unconscious before he hit the floor. Whitner and Goldson kept that viciousness throughout the game

2011 Regular Season: 62 Tackles, 1 FF, 3 FR , 2 INT's (good for a SS), 10 Pass Defends (again, good for a SS)
2011 Post Season: 5 Tackels (4 Solo), 1 FF... HOWEVER, this FF set the tone for the game and gave us the most import turnover of the game
[ Edited by irishluder on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM ]
Tarell Brown, somewhat. I'm still sliiiightly skeptical, but his second half of the season has been solid.

It's hard to say he stinks, even though he gets picked on by QB's it seems. I have had to consider that with the play of Rogers, the QB's really don't have anywhere else to go, and Brown, while solid, can give up a play every now and then.
rogers
Share 49ersWebzone