LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

John Madden "Best game I've ever seen"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Do you guys remember the game we had against the JETS when garrison Hearst ran it for like 98 yards for the win? And TO was running along beside him and blocking? It wasn't a must win game but it was epic!!

First game of the 98 season, 96 yarder to win in overtime. That was the same year, in the playoffs, that Young and Owens hooked up to beat the Packers...that was a hell of a season!

Heck yea!
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
My 20-month-old son is sitting in my lap as I'm reading this. He sees the picture of VD in the end zone there and throws his hands up in the air and yells "HUPDOWN!"

I was in central VA watching the game on TV on Saturday, you should have seen how upset he got with all the excited yelling in the last 5 minutes of that game...kept having to reassure him that it was happy yelling...lol

Haha..I bet he was scared out his mind

Have you bought him a little 49ers Jersey or T-shirt yet?

His name is Patrick...don't want to tip my hand as to why...We're looking at little #52 jerseys for him
  • Chief
  • Veteran
This game is one of the very few games I want to watch for a 2nd time.
Don't know if it was mentioned already, but this was the first playoff game in which a team had TWO go ahead touchdown drives in the final 3 minutes.

Also, this game and the '98 Catch 2 game were 2 of the only 3 games in playoff history in which the winning touchdown was scored with under 10 seconds left to go in the game.

Epic stuff right there.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Even the hater Peter King was impressed:
"Phenomenal finish. One of the best ends of a game of all time..."
http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/16/divisionals/1.html

Nice
I just wanted share a little s**t talking with my friends here,
Just landed in Phoenix after 10 days in Mexico and walked in to sports bar/crap food dump asked everyone if they could change the channels to the 49er highlights. The echo of no's were so much fun.

Im really loving this
Originally posted by sfout:
Agreed it such a roller and that's what made it so epic.....

We had it won, then we lost, then we won, then we lost, then we won for real. You can't beat games like that.

This was a classic.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think it was, since it ended on an emotional TD and elevated us to the NFC Championship which made it more emotional.

That also puts into perspective the original "Catch" game against Dallas. Winner goes to the Super Bowl. Niners had never been the Super Bowl. Total euphoria. The deeper you go, the more magnified the memory, or the worse it stings. Roger Craigs fumble in '90 against the Giants, still want to puke. I put this one on par with the Owens Catch game against the Packers. Felt like we were going to the Super Bowl that year after finally beating the damn Pack in dramatic fashion, only to have Hearst break his ankle on his first carry the next week. This one feels legitimate and we just cleared a major hurdle. One more! Comeback against Giants was an amazing game, but that was the last hoorah of a team we knew was on the decline, so I didn't put much stock in it.
It was a great game. Good as any the team has played. Our continued preformance will determine how great. I saw some nods to the 02 Giants comeback. Which was also fantastic. I was ecstatic. However there was the sobering letdown of realizing we didn't even have a team we could field the next week that put a damper on that game for me. The 88 superbowl was also awesome. This was definately one for the ages though.
I would probably say this was a better overall game than The Catch II game.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Don't know if it was mentioned already, but this was the first playoff game in which a team had TWO go ahead touchdown drives in the final 3 minutes.

Also, this game and the '98 Catch 2 game were 2 of the only 3 games in playoff history in which the winning touchdown was scored with under 10 seconds left to go in the game.

Epic stuff right there.

Guessing number 3 was the music city miracle?

So factoring Rice's fumble against GB

and Wychek's illegal forward pass

Vernon's TD was the only one that's legit lol.

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by Fresniner:
Originally posted by Lifer:
It was epic, no doubt, and is on a par with "The Catch" in my mind. In terms of the excitement of the game, what it means to the franchise, what it did for the community... eerily similar to The Catch. I think this game, and the Smith to Davis play, should officially become "The Catch II." The Steve Young to Terrel Owens play should be downgraded. In fact, all references to TO should be expunged from the record.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, it was a great emotional play. It got me misty eyed. However, it didn't lead to a Super Bowl victory. "The Catch" led to a Super Bowl and the start of a dynasty. If this recent win leads to a Super Bowl victory, you better believe that "The Grab" will rank up there as only second to "The Catch", as not only the greatest playoff moment in 49er history, but in the NFL.

January 10th, 1982

January 14th, 2012

Look at 58 in the back on both pictures...

Wholy crap!! Was that #58 as bad as our #58. I'd like to say I doubt it..ours is pretty flipp'n bad.
All I can say is we have a lot more people cheering for us now that we beat saints
In terms of thrilling comeback 49er wins Montana-to-Clark will always be tops. It lifted a losing franchise into a dynasty and vanquished its most hated opponent at the same time. Compared to the cowgirls, the Aints are warm cuddly teddy bears in the villain stakes.

Second to that must be Montana-to-Taylor, simply because it was in the Superbowl.

I find Smith-to-Davis (how weird is to say that? ) superior to Young-to-Owens because this dream season (and it will always be a dream season even if, touch wood, it ends without the trophy) came out of nowhere. In 98 we were a juggernaut. Yes, it was great to finally vanquish the Packers, but this was a clash of the big boys already. On Saturday we were underdogs.

Plus it was so cool to witness this in person after all these years of watching the 9ers playoff triumphs from half a world away on TV
Originally posted by CharityMike:
Wholy crap!! Was that #58 as bad as our #58. I'd like to say I doubt it..ours is pretty flipp'n bad.

I tell you what. Watch that Davis play again in slow motion on Tivo and I think he knocked Roman Harper out. That was a fierce collission, and Harper wasn't just pulling the old, "Damn, I just got schooled so I'll fake the injury" bit. He was on the ground in pain. Great job of Davis to hold on in traffic and absorb the blow. Only detraction from Davis' effort is how much he's put the spotlight on himself for the play and failed to acknowledge it was a pretty good freakin' pass too. But Davis has always been Smith's biggest defender, so I'm going to let that one slide.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Even the hater Peter King was impressed:
"Phenomenal finish. One of the best ends of a game of all time..."
http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/16/divisionals/1.html

Nice

FYI guys, Peter King's article is a must read by the way. LOTS of Joe Staley quotes about the game.

I watched the replay of Alex Smiths TD run (well okay, I watched it 50 more times), and its hilarious how much Joe Staley is hustling. I don't know how fast he was going, but I have no doubt it wasn't possible for him to run faster. Its pretty funny. Kyle Williams did have that great block, but so did Crabtree (took out the CB on that side of the field). Don't see Crabtree's block mentioned much.
Share 49ersWebzone