LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

John Madden "Best game I've ever seen"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
On the way to work in the morning, I was listening to John Madden get interviewed on the radio on 740 AM.

John Madden said the Niners-Saints game was the best game he has ever seen from a fan's perspective (not counting games he coached/played in).

Just in case there was any doubt non-49er fans also thought it was an epic game.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Boom
Craziest game I ever saw live!!!!
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

doesn't beat Giants vs 9ers in '03 IMO

we have a tendency to make the most recent events the "best ever"

it was close, but that historic comeback was better, and had the 'Stick rocking just as much if not more than this past saturday
Originally posted by vrabbit:

it was close, but that historic comeback was better, and had the 'Stick rocking just as much if not more than this past saturday

I saw the comeback on TV so I can't say
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
that means a lot coming from the oldest football man in the world
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I think it was, since it ended on an emotional TD and elevated us to the NFC Championship which made it more emotional.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
It was epic, no doubt, and is on a par with "The Catch" in my mind. In terms of the excitement of the game, what it means to the franchise, what it did for the community... eerily similar to The Catch. I think this game, and the Smith to Davis play, should officially become "The Catch II." The Steve Young to Terrel Owens play should be downgraded. In fact, all references to TO should be expunged from the record.
Cannot deny the epicness of the game
  • Jiks

It does to me. We didn't have to wait 8 years for that to happen. We were always a playoff team before that, so winning or losing in the playoffs was something I was used to. Not only that but the "Greatest offense in the entire world" was shown what "The Greatest Defense in the World" can do. There is so many factors to this game that made it very very very special. We already knew what we had with Garcia, his story is nothing like Alex's. To me that's what makes this game so darn special. So many years of misery were made up for in 2 drives.

Now we still have plenty of football left so I may look back at this as an even bigger or maybe less substantial play. Gotta see how we finish first.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I think it was, since it ended on an emotional TD and elevated us to the NFC Championship which made it more emotional.

Agreed it such a roller and that's what made it so epic.....

We had it won, then we lost, then we won, then we lost, then we won for real. You can't beat games like that.
Originally posted by Lifer:
It was epic, no doubt, and is on a par with "The Catch" in my mind. In terms of the excitement of the game, what it means to the franchise, what it did for the community... eerily similar to The Catch. I think this game, and the Smith to Davis play, should officially become "The Catch II." The Steve Young to Terrel Owens play should be downgraded. In fact, all references to TO should be expunged from the record.

If we win the superbowl and begin another string of championship runs, then yeah, it's definitely on par with The Catch. Otherwise, it's more like the Young to Owens play.

I was at both games, and from beginning to end this game was 10 times better imo.
Even the hater Peter King was impressed:
"Phenomenal finish. One of the best ends of a game of all time..."
http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/16/divisionals/1.html
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM ]
The Giants that year weren't as highly regarded offensively as this years Saints. That's why this game can be seen as being a better game than the '02 SF/NY comeback game.
Share 49ersWebzone