LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

John Madden "Best game I've ever seen"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
davis gave props to smith for throwing the ball. He did put the team on his back and Alex did put the passes on the money.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
FYI guys, Peter King's article is a must read by the way. LOTS of Joe Staley quotes about the game.

I watched the replay of Alex Smiths TD run (well okay, I watched it 50 more times), and its hilarious how much Joe Staley is hustling. I don't know how fast he was going, but I have no doubt it wasn't possible for him to run faster. Its pretty funny. Kyle Williams did have that great block, but so did Crabtree (took out the CB on that side of the field). Don't see Crabtree's block mentioned much.

OK, if you watched that play over and over like me on Tivo, did you happen to see the goat DB for the Saints who completely took himself out of the play without even being blocked? Can't remember the number, but I want to say 21. Playing on the side the sweep went to, around 10 yards off the LOS, right in position where you'd expect him to require a Niner block, and at the snap, the guy makes a beeline to the other side of the field oblivious to the keeper coming to his side. And I don't even know what he could have been reacting to because there was no fake to the other side. It was an empty backfield and Smith just immediately started sprinting for the sweep. The only thing I could think of was that he was trying to disguise a coverage and was hustling to another spot at the snap without watching the action. It was hilarious and fortunate. That play probably doesn't go for six if that guy requires a block. He may have even had a shot at stopping Smith short of the first down. Check it out. By the way, agree with you completely on the Crabtree block. No mention, but it was key.
[ Edited by BSofSF on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by CharityMike:
Wholy crap!! Was that #58 as bad as our #58. I'd like to say I doubt it..ours is pretty flipp'n bad.

I tell you what. Watch that Davis play again in slow motion on Tivo and I think he knocked Roman Harper out. That was a fierce collission, and Harper wasn't just pulling the old, "Damn, I just got schooled so I'll fake the injury" bit. He was on the ground in pain. Great job of Davis to hold on in traffic and absorb the blow. Only detraction from Davis' effort is how much he's put the spotlight on himself for the play and failed to acknowledge it was a pretty good freakin' pass too. But Davis has always been Smith's biggest defender, so I'm going to let that one slide.
Yeah he did. that was a vicious collision. props to Davis for holding on to the ball. That was one hard fought game. The fact that we were able to come back after pretty much spotting 9ers 17 points was amazing. That first knock out to Pierre was a BIG blow. he is such a versatile player for us. In the end, you guys made the biggest plays when it counted in the end.

Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
FYI guys, Peter King's article is a must read by the way. LOTS of Joe Staley quotes about the game.

I watched the replay of Alex Smiths TD run (well okay, I watched it 50 more times), and its hilarious how much Joe Staley is hustling. I don't know how fast he was going, but I have no doubt it wasn't possible for him to run faster. Its pretty funny. Kyle Williams did have that great block, but so did Crabtree (took out the CB on that side of the field). Don't see Crabtree's block mentioned much.

OK, if you watched that play over and over like me on Tivo, did you happen to see the goat DB for the Saints who completely took himself out of the play without even being blocked? Can't remember the number, but I want to say 21. Playing on the side the sweep went to, around 10 yards off the LOS, right in position where you'd expect him to require a Niner block, and at the snap, the guy makes a beeline to the other side of the field oblivious to the keeper coming to his side. And I don't even know what he could have been reacting to because there was no fake to the other side. It was an empty backfield and Smith just immediately started sprinting for the sweep. The only thing I could think of was that he was trying to disguise a coverage and was hustling to another spot at the snap without watching the action. It was hilarious and fortunate. That play probably doesn't go for six if that guy requires a block. He may have even had a shot at stopping Smith short of the first down. Check it out. By the way, agree with you completely on the Crabtree block. No mention, but it was key.

Yeah that was Patrick Robinson. I read somewhere that he was shadowing a receiver or something and when the receiver went back he got lost. MO for our defense this entire year.
For me this beats out the 2002 playoff come back win aginst the Giants. Maybe because I never thought Alex Smith could ever lead the Niners to the NFC championship game with a chance at the SB. It's just been a awsome season so far...
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CharityMike:
Yeah he did. that was a vicious collision. props to Davis for holding on to the ball. That was one hard fought game. The fact that we were able to come back after pretty much spotting 9ers 17 points was amazing. That first knock out to Pierre was a BIG blow. he is such a versatile player for us. In the end, you guys made the biggest plays when it counted in the end.

Yeah that was Patrick Robinson. I read somewhere that he was shadowing a receiver or something and when the receiver went back he got lost. MO for our defense this entire year.

He was in Man Coverage.
So when Kyle Williams went in motion he wasn't expecting him to block him thought his was doing a drag route - so I don't think you can blame him.

It was just a great playcall and design by Greg Roman. They were blitzing the right side of the line all day and he knew motioning Williams in Man coverage would take that corner out of the play.

So that leaves Crab on his man and Staley pulling like a f**king mad man with Alex running to paydirt.

Perfect f**king play call.
Originally posted by Lifer:
It was epic, no doubt, and is on a par with "The Catch" in my mind. In terms of the excitement of the game, what it means to the franchise, what it did for the community... eerily similar to The Catch. I think this game, and the Smith to Davis play, should officially become "The Catch II." The Steve Young to Terrel Owens play should be downgraded. In fact, all references to TO should be expunged from the record.

I agree with you. The T.O. catch has often been referred to as "The Redemption". That is more fitting since T.O. couldn't catch a cold that day except for when it mattered most.

The pass from Alex to Vernon should be "The Catch II".

But, seems like everyone has already rolled with it as "The Catch III".

Very special moment none the less. Glad I was there in person to witness this one!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I'd have to disagree, though I only watched both on TV. This win means more to the franchise than the '03 one, this one is a sign of rebirth, not the last gasp of greatness from a franchise in decline. I have watched many football games in the last 31 years of my life, and this game was in the top 3 of all of them. If we win the Superbowl now to top it off, that game just might be the biggest one in team history.

man, that was beautifully said.
Originally posted by Lifer:
It was epic, no doubt, and is on a par with "The Catch" in my mind. In terms of the excitement of the game, what it means to the franchise, what it did for the community... eerily similar to The Catch. I think this game, and the Smith to Davis play, should officially become "The Catch II." The Steve Young to Terrel Owens play should be downgraded. In fact, all references to TO should be expunged from the record.

I know this statement may be in jest but I totally disagree with it. I know many of you don't like Owens and the way his career (and diva image) turned out but he was an absolute stud for the Niners for many years. Jerry Rice taught him how to work hard and the guy worked his butt off to become a great receiver, perhaps the second best of all time behind Jerry if you look at the numbers.

We should at least acknowledge that.....and "The Catch II"... It was a great play by 2 Hall of Fame players...

Cheers!
As far as the name of the most recent "Catch" is concerned....I officially put "The Dart" into the mix. That was an absolute bullet that Alex threw...and it had to be. Great play by Davis no doubt but that pass was pure perfection.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
As far as the name of the most recent "Catch" is concerned....I officially put "The Dart" into the mix. That was an absolute bullet that Alex threw...and it had to be. Great play by Davis no doubt but that pass was pure perfection.

The pass before which sprung Davis for the 40+ yard gain at the end was the best pass of Smith's career. If it was even a few inches off, Davis would not have been able to keep running or it could have been defended.

Best game ive ever seen too
I still can' get over the two laser throws Smith made to VD on that drive -- right into tight windows, right on the money, thrown like rockets. Kudos to Smith for the throws and VD for making the catches of rockets look easy!!!
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I still can' get over the two laser throws Smith made to VD on that drive -- right into tight windows, right on the money, thrown like rockets. Kudos to Smith for the throws and VD for making the catches of rockets look easy!!!

What's crazy is he actually had windows to throw through. How often have we seen those passes get batted down at the line? This offense is growing and it's starting in the trenches!
Share 49ersWebzone