There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

John Madden "Best game I've ever seen"

Originally posted by BigBug415:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
doesn't beat Giants vs 9ers in '03 IMO

we have a tendency to make the most recent events the "best ever"

it was close, but that historic comeback was better, and had the 'Stick rocking just as much if not more than this past saturday

I was at both games, and from beginning to end this game was 10 times better imo.

ok I can see the argument for it

I just hate to label the most recent events "the best ever", but you guys have some solid arguments
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Craziest game I ever saw live!!!!

it was close, but that historic comeback was better, and had the 'Stick rocking just as much if not more than this past saturday

I think it was, since it ended on an emotional TD and elevated us to the NFC Championship which made it more emotional.

this game was 4 quarters of complete madness.

1st quarter - niners showed off their strengths.
2nd quarter - saints showed off theirs

halftime - two of the best young coaches make their adjustments setting up a 2nd half WAR

the game ends with drew brees showing the world why you don't f*ck with them in the fourth quarter. but then alex smith left ball sack drops, and then a few minutes later the other one drops.

candlestick just produces the most epic playoff games in the NFL for some reason.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

halftime - two of the best young coaches make their adjustments setting up a 2nd half WAR

the game ends with drew brees showing the world why you don't f*ck with them in the fourth quarter. but then alex smith left ball sack drops, and then a few minutes later the other one drops.

Well summarized

Here's why I think this one is "possibly" better. One, there is absolutely no controversy in this win. No obvious pass interference call that wasn't called. But I think the big thing that put's this one up there with the "Catch", thus making it better than that comeback, are circumstances. This team came out of nowhere, nobody saw this coming. Also, this was Alex Smith to Vernon Davis, two much maligned players in their earlier years. That was Jeff Garcia to Terrell Owens against a Giannts team I'm pretty sure we were favored to beat. We took down the frickin Saints. Alex Smith took down Drew frickin Brees!! And....we didn't need a Trey Junkin moment to win this game. All that, puts this game above that one for me. Go Niners!!!
Originally posted by BigBug415:

I was at both games, and from beginning to end this game was 10 times better imo.

i agree
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I think it was, since it ended on an emotional TD and elevated us to the NFC Championship which made it more emotional.

Darryl Johnston, a guy who has seen a few epic games and played in a couple as well, called it one of the best.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

perfect explanation
As a witness to the game live, I must say everything about it was electric. From the tailgate to the ride home. All electric
  • Lifer
  • Veteran

Great game for sure. Incredible comeback. But for me, it will always have an asterisk because of the blatant Pass Interfence on the last play that was not called. For a game to be truely great, both teams have to play well and you have to win fair and square. We got charity from the refs on that one.

Can't agree with this at all. The comeback in '03 was just that. A comeback. I've seen better comebacks in the playoffs.

This game was one in a million.
The 1/5/2003 game means a lot to me....it should mean a lot to you if love the history of this great franchise.

Nothing beats going from the feelings of ultimate glory (76 yard TD by TO in the first quarter), to feelings of ulitmate doom (down 38-14 in the early third quarter), to feelings of ultimate redemption as the 49ers clawed back with 25 unanswered points in one and a half quarters.

That game....was exhilarating. From a historical perspective, who knew it would be Mooch's last win as a 49er? Did anyone have a clue about the horrendous nightmare we were about to embark on?
Emotional roller coaster to say the least, was ready to cry when were went down this 130 left.
Originally posted by ImaMod:

perfect explanation
i like
This game was way better than '03. Yeah, the comeback was amazing, but at the end of the day, I felt we should have beat them, and I knew we were going to get killed the following week. There was nothing about the Garcia led teams that made me feel a SB was in sight. The Catch III signifies the return to glory, and after all the s**t the players and us fans have went through, how can you not give this game the nod?
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM ]