LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

49ers need a big target like Jimmy Graham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
They have done well in the redzone as of late.

The Niners need playmakers. Size is irrelevant.
Originally posted by okdkid:

I disagree. Patrick Willis on Jimmy Graham proves exactly that. Willis had absolutely ZERO chance to make a play on that ball. Even if he had turned around and jumped as high as he could, he still wouldn't have been able to even tip it.

You have to remember, we're not talking about just an extra 6-8 inches of height (depending on the matchup), we're talking even MORE length when you start discussing wingspan and how far the arms can reach. Certain players are indefensible in certain matchups.
Whitner choked on the Jimmy Graham play, instead of just making the tackle, Whitner try's to make a play on the ball. Graham had 4 catches for 37 yards before his 66 yard TD. Im more surprised about this post to be honest, especially after Davis now owns the record for most yards in a playoff game by a TE
Not very many teams have WR's or TE's that are above 6'3, name a team still in the playoffs that has a weapon taller than 6'4 and is used as one of their main weapons?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by okdkid:

I disagree. Patrick Willis on Jimmy Graham proves exactly that. Willis had absolutely ZERO chance to make a play on that ball. Even if he had turned around and jumped as high as he could, he still wouldn't have been able to even tip it.

You have to remember, we're not talking about just an extra 6-8 inches of height (depending on the matchup), we're talking even MORE length when you start discussing wingspan and how far the arms can reach. Certain players are indefensible in certain matchups.

Sure, but we can say similar things about Sproles. HIs size presents a matchup problem as well. Albeit in a different way.

I think too many of us are lusting over tall guys just because they're tall. Even in the draft threads, it's all about how tall somebody is. Playmaking ability is seemingly secondary.

I'd rather have playmakers who can get it done anywhere on the field. If he is 6'7" great. If he is 5'6", that's fine too.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Ya? Like Vernon Davis? 180 Yards, 2 TDs... NO can keep Grahm, I'll take Davis.

So if you had the power, would you trade our late 1st rounder to acquire Jimmy Graham to play opposite of VD?
That would be a no brainer. Look at what New England has done with their 2 stud TE's. I would give up more than just a #1 for Graham. VD and Graham... how sweet would that be!
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Whitner choked on the Jimmy Graham play, instead of just making the tackle, Whitner try's to make a play on the ball. Graham had 4 catches for 37 yards before his 66 yard TD. Im more surprised about this post to be honest, especially after Davis now owns the record for most yards in a playoff game by a TE
Not very many teams have WR's or TE's that are above 6'3, name a team still in the playoffs that has a weapon taller than 6'4 and is used as one of their main weapons?

Patriots. Oops didn't see the previous post.
[ Edited by Loco49er on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM ]
Walsh was one of the early advocates of bringing in great athletes who could be taught to play football. They had size or speed and he tried to utilize that. Worked really well with M. Carter who had great experience in football at SMU, but was best known as a shot put record holder. Nehemiah was a track star who played fairly well for a few year but nothing spectacular...other than scaring DBs to death.

The reason he sought these players out was because he knew that any advantage had to be used to succeed at the level he wanted to acheive. A player like Graham would be a great complement to VD and Walker but the 9ers also need a great WR as well.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM ]
We need to get a clone made of Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham then Championship
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
It isn't necessarily a TE that is needed. In addition to Walker and Davis, the 49ers also have Byham coming back from injury. Harbaugh also liked Reuland enough to keep him on the PS all year long to gain strength/size and experience.

What the 49ers need is a TALL, AGILE receiver with speed enough to demand attention from a safety in addition to a corner. I know that is not an easy find but Harbaugh clearly understands that need or he would not have taken a chance on Braylon Edwards. The fact Edwards did not work out has not changed the need for a guy with his general size/skill set. As someone else already said, the scouts should be looking at college power forwards who will not be good enough to go to the NBA.

Well I'm pretty sure we are doing just fine, and Kimmy Graham isn't playing next week...

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

This, you can't coach size and it creates a mismatch that the defense HAS to account for. Not saying that size is the only factor that should be considered but damn, with all the teams having 6'6"-6'7" receivers/tight ends out there, the 49ers could definitely use some more size to give defenses something else to worry about.
49ers coaching staff needs to go down to the basketball courts with a football, find the guy who can catch it the best, and then bring him back. :P
It isn't necessarily a TE that is needed. In addition to Walker and Davis, the 49ers also have Byham coming back from injury. Harbaugh also liked Reuland enough to keep him on the PS all year long to gain strength/size and experience.

What the 49ers need is a TALL, AGILE receiver with speed enough to demand attention from a safety in addition to a corner. I know that is not an easy find but Harbaugh clearly understands that need or he would not have taken a chance on Braylon Edwards. The fact Edwards did not work out has not changed the need for a guy with his general size/skill set. As someone else already said, the scouts should be looking at college power forwards who will not be good enough to go to the NBA.

No, I'm cool with this as well. That's why I have been paying as much attention as I can on the big WR options in this draft class.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Really this thread is still going???
We have a big target, his name is Vernon Davis..
We've just refused to use him up until Saturday.

We just need a better package of WRs.
Share 49ersWebzone