LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

49ers need a big target like Jimmy Graham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
It isn't necessarily a TE that is needed. In addition to Walker and Davis, the 49ers also have Byham coming back from injury. Harbaugh also liked Reuland enough to keep him on the PS all year long to gain strength/size and experience.

What the 49ers need is a TALL, AGILE receiver with speed enough to demand attention from a safety in addition to a corner. I know that is not an easy find but Harbaugh clearly understands that need or he would not have taken a chance on Braylon Edwards. The fact Edwards did not work out has not changed the need for a guy with his general size/skill set. As someone else already said, the scouts should be looking at college power forwards who will not be good enough to go to the NBA.
Luckily this year's draft features quite a few tall stud receivers. Quite a few of these guys should be available when we draft:

1. Jeff Fuller 6'3" 214lbs - Texas A&M
2. Mo Sanu 6'3" 217lbs - Rutgers
3. Michael Floyd 6'3" 225lbs - ND
4. Dwight Jones 6'4" 214lbs - NC
5. Nick Toon 6'3" 217lbs - Wisconsin
6. Juron Criner 6'4" 211lbs - Arizona.

I do think this is the greatest position of need if we can't land a quality free agent.
Originally posted by Loco49er:
Excellent points. I am more worried about finding a LB that can cover TEs like Graham (Manny where are you?) because I think it will be the new trend after the success the Saints and Patriots are having. Willis is great but he isn't going to cut it in coverage.

Goldson is the only DB over 6' and he may be gone. Willis is 6'1" and Bowman is 6'0". So SF is vertically challenged against these big receivers. With the limitations on contact the 9ers need to either be great at timing their jumps or go out and get some bigger DBs and LBs. Aldon and Brooks are the only LBs over 6'1" and I doubt anyone wants them covering.

But, good players can overcome many obstacles and the 9ers have done so all year.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Ya? Like Vernon Davis? 180 Yards, 2 TDs... NO can keep Grahm, I'll take Davis.

So if you had the power, would you trade our late 1st rounder to acquire Jimmy Graham to play opposite of VD?
  • dj43
Originally posted by oldman9er:
So if you had the power, would you trade our late 1st rounder to acquire Jimmy Graham to play opposite of VD?

Pardon me for jumping in, but yes, I would. Graham and Davis play a different game. Graham plays off defenders like a good basketball player boxing out. He is also very agile and can adjust to the ball better than Davis. He doesn't have burner WR speed but he was fast enough to outrun the 49er secondary on that 66 yard pass.

In reality I probably would not make that deal but it does point out the difference between the two players. I would rather take my chances drafting a faster WR with size.
Excellent points. I am more worried about finding a LB that can cover TEs like Graham (Manny where are you?) because I think it will be the new trend after the success the Saints and Patriots are having. Willis is great but he isn't going to cut it in coverage.

I believe Manny Lawson is a free agent again lol
Why are Davis and Walker all of a sudden not good enough??

I'd trade our late 1st rounder AND a 2nd rounder for Jimmy Graham. You're getting a guaranteed blue chip player.
Not sure about throwing a 2nd in also, but it's worth considering, sure.

( and yeah, that question was meant for anyone reading it )
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Ok, we are one game from the super bowl and some people want manny lawson back and also decide that vernon and walker are not good enough. my head hurts

Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

OMG! Bring him back!
We need to go hard after colston! Imagine colston, crabtree, Morgan , VD
Originally posted by cciowa:
Ok, we are one game from the super bowl and some people want manny lawson back and also decide that vernon and walker are not good enough. my head hurts

No one is really saying that though, are they? Just looking for any upgrade considerations. Good enough is what it is, but why stop reaching for better?

Are you suggesting that Walker is = to a Jimmy Graham? I doubt you or anyone would really think that.

TARGET: WHO DAT..? I'M DAT! REAL TALK.

Jimmy Graham is back in boubon street eating gumbo and popeye chicken right about now while VD is playing in the NFC championship game... so what's the point of this thread..
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
No one is really saying that though, are they? Just looking for any upgrade considerations. Good enough is what it is, but why stop reaching for better?

Are you suggesting that Walker is = to a Jimmy Graham? I doubt you or anyone would really think that.
I just think it if is not broke do not try to fix it, if you cook your meat to much you burn it, if the team chemistry is right do not mess with it. I can not see graham and vernon together and right now, no i would not give up any tight end for vernon.
Share 49ersWebzone