LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

WPXI Pittsburg: Source: Roman a Finalist for PSU Job--O'Brien to stay with Pats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS

RT @RichieWalsh: From same Penn State source... Clements and Roman are finalists for #PSU job... Hearing OBrien wants to stay in NFL
  • sfout
  • Veteran
This is an excerpt from ESPN Insiders Rumor section...

UPDATE:It seems like Penn State is looking hard at the pro coaches. Tom Dienhart of the Big Ten Network tweets that 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman is a serious candidate and interviewed for the position already.

"I have learned 49ers OC Greg Roman is a candidate for the Penn State job. He interviewed a month ago and recently talked again with PSU," he tweets.

----

Should it prove true who would you want to replace him? I found some viable names in the pro game and college, if you've got a write in candidate feel free to post.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jim Hostler
David Shaw is the Stanford head coach and isn't going anywhere

Choice #1 would be Shaw but I doubt he'd give up Stanford for an O.C. position. Choice #2 would be to elevate Chryst.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Choice #1 would be Shaw but I doubt he'd give up Stanford for an O.C. position. Choice #2 would be to elevate Chryst.

Whomever runs the QB. We need consistency....
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
whats with these fools always going after our OC's??? is our offense that dominant and potent? i dont get it , how come they dont go after the packers OC or something , wtf...

This is why:
Roman's San Francisco offense finished 26th in total yards this season. However, he's added creativity to the run-first attack that was missing in previous seasons and the 49ers have taken better care of the football than any team this season. The 49ers offense committed only five interceptions and five fumbles and have gone the last 22 quarters without giving up the ball.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/01/report-penn-state-eying-greg-roman-others.html

I'm with PRIMETIME21 on this. What is it about the 49ers OC's? I don't see this happening to other teams, not even the good ones. Other teams get to keep their OC's for at least 3 years, giving time for a system to take root. I don't get it either and I'm really starting to think there is something else going on, I don't know what, but something. I know there are some who think the 49ers would be fine with yet another OC change. Not me We have been down this path before and it has NEVER been good for us. JH is good but there's a reason for coordinators, and of all a coaches coordinators its the OC thats most important. Sure, the system itself won't change, but creativity and how the system is administered will change big time. I really hope to see Bill O'Brien gets the job. Its about time the football gods let us keep a OC.
This is the benefit of having an offensive head coach, losing an of is much less of a problem.
Norv Turner if he's fired. Alex had one of his better years under Norv, and atleast some familiarity there and not another new coordinator

Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS

RT @RichieWalsh: From same Penn State source... Clements and Roman are finalists for #PSU job... Hearing OBrien wants to stay in NFL

Penn st. can continue burning in hell. f**k that school and program.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
This is the benefit of having an offensive head coach, losing an of is much less of a problem.

but its still a problem.
Shaw would be IDEAL but not happening. Mike Sherman is interesting..
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I don't think Roman leaves personally and would definitely want Chryst to replace Roman but I can't believe we are possibly lining alex up for another OC. Thankfully the system would stay the same cause of Harbaugh.
Originally posted by BigTrez:
Norv Turner if he's fired. Alex had one of his better years under Norv, and atleast some familiarity there and not another new coordinator

then that would mean we would ru digit offesne instead of WCO
Share 49ersWebzone