LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

A Season In Review and What The Future Holds

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by captveg:
Anthony Davis on twitter:

"We'll be back stronger next year… All these bandwagoners should jumpoff now..and stay off."

Sums up the fluke question, IMO.

I love that tweet. Love the confidence.
I don't think it was a fluke. Defense should still be pretty damn good next year. The offense struggled terribly on 3rd down and in the redzone the whole season. Without an upgrade at the WR position, this trend could very well continue into next season.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
We exceeded expectations, and could be a worse team next year... does that mean this season is a fluke - maybe, but I don't expect the team to fall off the face of the earth. Too many positive things happened for this to be unrepeatable... which is what I would consider a fluke... so I say no, not a fluke.

Despite criticism in all these aspects look how successful the team was in

Hiring Harbaugh and Staff - they have changed the attitude of this team, and are much more compitent than privious staffs.
The NFL draft - A. Smith, Culliver, Hunter, Miller.
Free Agency - Rogers, Whitner, Goldson, Alex Smith, Goodwin, Akers and letting Franklin and TKO and replacing them with better younger players

I think from Jed down there were just too many good decisions that were made especially considering the criticism that came with those decisions... obviously they were making choices they felt were good for this team and man did they pay off. I'm not saying I think they are always going to be this good, but I don't expect a drop off based on all the right decisions they made this year.
Originally posted by kray28:
It doesn't have to be a fluke...but in today's NFL, teams can rise up out of the ashes just as fast they go crashing down in flames.

That being said, Harbaugh helped a very flawed 49ers team put their best foot forward and play to their strengths. Hats off to him for that. Now he needs to build on that....and what happens in the next 7 months will be very critical in all that. Harbaugh needs to keep his defense, and build himself an offense.

I would trade Crabtree and maybe even Davis to do that if needed. Gore is still serviceable....but he's not breaking open games for us. I still think there's a role for him here, but he can't be the featured back for much longer.

Alex must be taught how to become an efficient passer....if he's going to be the QB, then he can't just be a QB who doesn't lose games for you.

Trading Vernon Davis is not going to help the offense.
Originally posted by YungAce:
We're a legit team.

Throughout the past couple of seasons, we've lost many close games and needed to somehow learn to turn the corner. We've finally experienced that this year with better coaching, and learned to finish games.

With the way our rookies and free agent signings played this season, there's no doubt in my mind that we will improve by next year with a full offseason.

#BaalkeHasAPlan

Have to agree with this as the most sensible post that I've seen in this particular thread.

FACT: This is a young team. Nobody ever expected something like this.

FACT: This team will improve. Young teams improve.

FACT: We blew a fantastic opportunity to win one before our time. This one is going to hurt for awhile.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

This, they need to find more ways of incorporating him into the offense and using him to exploit other team's defenses.
great d, a solid qb ,we need wr's bad ,i think the o-line gets better next yr,go after a v.jackson with v.davis ,and crabz at no.2 that will help you might think im crazy but draft another fast te in first or second rd we could really create a new west coast offence ,2wr and 2 te like vernon davis ,apply more quick slants and post
No fluke! This team has been talented enough to play wit the big boys the last couple years. Two things can be said about this team the last couple years, we have alot! of moral victories against all of the big boys. My ex. Saint last year & this year, colts-the lucky half back pass, vikes wit farve, & etc. It's also an opinion that this team plays UP & down to our opponents. Basically we CAN play wit the big boys but we couldn't come away wit the W. THAT is the only difference between this year & the last couple.

As long as harbs & baalke keep doin their thing in the offseason, I can EASILY see us bein this years packers next year witout the blowouts. Jus grind it out wins. We kinda did it this year. Harbs takes away the FG & scores vs cowgirls, we win & our redzone O is better that AZ game is a blowout. Goo nin-ners! next year back to da nfc championship & beyond. Also start of anotha dy-nas-ty.
no way in hell are we a fluke, but it will be much tougher with our schedule. we can possibly play in the wc round and we will go on the road this time
We are absolutely a legit contender now. Lets be honest, this team had been getting "under-coached" for the past 2-3 years prior to Harbaugh's arrival. Had those teams been full utilized to their talents they would have been 9-7 to 10-6 type teams with playoff apperances so this season would have seemed like a more tradition type leap to the top of the conference.

I fully believe that the core of this team has elite level talent. Now it is painfully obvious that this team needs a true #1 WR. That addition alone would help greatly in improving both 3rd down % and red zone scoring. We are lucky that the FA class this year appears to be pretty healthy in that position.

• kray28
  • Veteran
Davis is one of our most valuable pieces...and his value would be high in a trade.

Our draft position is going to suck...we'll need to find a way to trade up. Like any league...you've got to give to get.

What our offense needs is consistent playmakers....not once in a blue moon home run hitters. We need a consistent offense that can convert on 3rd down and buy our defense a breather every now and then. We need an offense that doesn't crap the bed in the red zone. We need receivers who can make difficult catches.

Having Davis didn't help us at all in this regard today.

What type of offense would you rather have....the type that can keep the chains moving or the type that hits a big play in 1 out of 10 drives. Or can only score if you give it a short field?
I think we are back to being a competitive, winning football team. 13-3 record. Never blown out. 1-1 in the playoffs.

Will there be turnover in the offseason? Sure. Coaches could get jobs elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me a lot for Roman to get the Indy job(especially with Luck headed that way). I seem to recall that, during the Walsh era, our coaches were in high demand. It's a side effect of winning.

Will we lose some players? Absolutely. Happens every year. I'd love to think that we'll be able to keep Brooks, Goldson, and Rogers. Reality says that might not be possible. However, the guy in charge of bringing in new players did a pretty good job of that last year.

Lastly, I find it difficult to even suggest this season being a fluke. I would think a fluke would be one winning year in the middle of a bunch of bad ones. Seasons like the one we just had are called "turnarounds". We'd have to go back to losing for a few years for this one to be called a fluke.

Just my opinion.
-R
Few teams have a system, Harbaugh has brought a mind set to this organization. He has the defense and the offense line to stay successful for some years to come. All that's needed are some play makers at wide receiver, and I'm sure Baalke and Harbaugh will find them.
BUT GREAT SEASON NINERS!!!!!!

And good turnout from fans
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by kray28:
It doesn't have to be a fluke...but in today's NFL, teams can rise up out of the ashes just as fast they go crashing down in flames.

That being said, Harbaugh helped a very flawed 49ers team put their best foot forward and play to their strengths. Hats off to him for that. Now he needs to build on that....and what happens in the next 7 months will be very critical in all that. Harbaugh needs to keep his defense, and build himself an offense.

I would trade Crabtree and maybe even Davis to do that if needed. Gore is still serviceable....but he's not breaking open games for us. I still think there's a role for him here, but he can't be the featured back for much longer.

Alex must be taught how to become an efficient passer....if he's going to be the QB, then he can't just be a QB who doesn't lose games for you.

agree tradeing davis is the dumbest move we could make
get more explosive wr's ,and draft another cb in 2nd rd,another de in 3rd rd
Share 49ersWebzone