There are 85 users in the forums

A Season In Review and What The Future Holds

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just wanted to thank the 49ers for an awesome season. We exceeded further than many even could have thought.
Hoping to add some key pieces to the team in FA and the draft. It's gonna be fun to watch in the future for us!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
they didnt read, lol
Originally posted by susweel:
they didnt read, lol

they don't care, lol.
Agreed, I'm completely disappointed in last night's game but proud to be a Niner fan after this season - first time in a while I can say that and the future looks bright.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
This season was truly magical & I'm only sorry that is had to end the way it did. However, this team is young & got some playoff experience. They will be BEYOND HUNGRY come next season.
Originally posted by susweel:
they didnt read, lol

lol
Ya, thanks Kyle! Hope to see ya soon buddy!(In a different team jersey!).
I'll jump on this tread. Lots of anguish and blame game going on today. Rightly so, insofar as the anguish is concerned.

I'm very thankful for the thrill ride that this team gave its fans all season long. Equally important, the words "San Francisco" are no longer laughingstock in NFL circles, and will not be for years to come. R-E-S-P-E-C-T has returned to the 'stick and somewhere Aretha is belting it out.

Next year's schedule will be much more difficult due to the high 2012 finish. But the NYG's showed that having the best in-season record is not the name of the game in the NFL - just be hot and healthy at the end of the year. Harbaugh and staff are fast learners. And Baalke is out looking for more ammo.
Ok, so we lost a close game to a equally tuff team. Now what?

First lets recap why we lost this game. 0 for like 15 on third down just doesn't cut it. This partly falls on the OC but for me it falls solely on the WR's. Crabtree, Williams, Swain, are the reason we lost this game. Crabtree made only 1 5yd catch well into the 4th quarter of the giants game. Cruz in one game doubled or trippled the number of catches the niners WR's had combined in 2 games, in only a half of work. This is very unacceptable. Maybe with Morgan back next year and some good draft picks to add some new talent to the position we can improve on third down. WR is our biggest need at the moment. We have to address that position first in the draft. That being said Roman didn't do us any favors by calling pass plays on first and second down on our last three drives. This constantly put us in third and longs against the Giants pass rush. Even with everything going against us like Vernon's out of character penalties.We were still in this game. I still say climbing onto the camera stand isn't a penalty by the way. I mean the Packer's jump into the stands on almost every score. Hell Jimmy Grahm dunks on the goal post everytime. Why is climbing up on the camera stand a penalty? Just seems like less was done in VD's case and he got whacked for it. LAME!!!! Our downfall was the turnovers. Now I don't want to crucify Williams but if you don't make plays in critical situations you get benched or released. Who here remembers Vanderjacks missed FG against the Steelers? He was never a Colt again. Who here saw the missed fieldgoal by Cundiff just this past weekend? Do you think he'll be a Raven next season? Probably not. I just don't see how Williams can be on the team next season. Maybe demoted to the practice squad and given a chance to get back on the field is the only best case scenerio for him.

Truly a great year.. Can't say enough about how proud I am of our team. The sky is truly the limit from here. Anyone know how many picks we have stockpiled next year? I believe we got atleast 2 additional picks from the Bengals from trades. I mean he pretty much out dueled two of the top 5 QB's in the playoffs, and without a fumbled punt would of had another chance to go win the game. He still through no INTs and through for 2 TD's. Watching him run reminds of the great Steve Young.

Who's Got It Better Than Us?

NOBODY!!!!!
m
Originally posted by txninerdad80:
Ok, so we lost a close game to a equally tuff team. Now what?

First lets recap why we lost this game. 0 for like 15 on third down just doesn't cut it. This partly falls on the OC but for me it falls solely on the WR's. Crabtree, Williams, Swain, are the reason we lost this game. Crabtree made only 1 5yd catch well into the 4th quarter of the giants game. Cruz in one game doubled or trippled the number of catches the niners WR's had combined in 2 games, in only a half of work. This is very unacceptable. Maybe with Morgan back next year and some good draft picks to add some new talent to the position we can improve on third down. WR is our biggest need at the moment. We have to address that position first in the draft. That being said Roman didn't do us any favors by calling pass plays on first and second down on our last three drives. This constantly put us in third and longs against the Giants pass rush. Even with everything going against us like Vernon's out of character penalties.We were still in this game. I still say climbing onto the camera stand isn't a penalty by the way. I mean the Packer's jump into the stands on almost every score. Hell Jimmy Grahm dunks on the goal post everytime. Why is climbing up on the camera stand a penalty? Just seems like less was done in VD's case and he got whacked for it. LAME!!!! Our downfall was the turnovers. Now I don't want to crucify Williams but if you don't make plays in critical situations you get benched or released. Who here remembers Vanderjacks missed FG against the Steelers? He was never a Colt again. Who here saw the missed fieldgoal by Cundiff just this past weekend? Do you think he'll be a Raven next season? Probably not. I just don't see how Williams can be on the team next season. Maybe demoted to the practice squad and given a chance to get back on the field is the only best case scenerio for him.

Truly a great year.. Can't say enough about how proud I am of our team. The sky is truly the limit from here. Anyone know how many picks we have stockpiled next year? I believe we got atleast 2 additional picks from the Bengals from trades. I mean he pretty much out dueled two of the top 5 QB's in the playoffs, and without a fumbled punt would of had another chance to go win the game. He still through no INTs and through for 2 TD's. Watching him run reminds of the great Steve Young.

Who's Got It Better Than Us?

NOBODY!!!!!
m

Pats and Giants

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
They arent equally tough as us. Not even close

Their players were diving before making contact like little sissys, Cruz would slide before he could ever get hit, their punt returner also went to the ground so he doesnt get hit. Not even close when it comes to toughness. I still think were the better team, easily
The team could have a very different feel next season based on what we decide in free agency. A lot of guys have contracts expiring, and I am not sure the team will throw down big money for players on the roster. Going to be a tricky dance for sure.
i notice watching other teams that they are just able to pass all over the field no matter what the d does. our team.....not so much. and i realized it wasnt the o line not providing time, it wasnt alex just standing scared in the pocket, its these lame ass recievers. they never get open, they run poor routes, they have suspect hands and they are not fast. the only threat in this passing game is vd. our wrs suck, its time for people to realize that and get over it, move on and upgrade. if balke can somehow find a way to get a marquee fa without breaking the bank that would be awesome. but also need to find a stud in the draft since we have a s**t pick, or trade uplike the falcons did for julio. blackmon would be nice but i dont think the rams will let him slide.

we had a great year, now its time to build up and get better, dont just sit idly by, hoping for the same success.

GO NINERS!
Who are the Free Agents next season?
Very nice post, Jreff.

I strongly agree with your analysis of the receivers. What do you make of Morgan vs. Crabtree in a head to head analysis? Aside from their contracts, I'm having problems finding distinctions between the two. Crabtree is the more gifted athlete, but Morgan seems better at gaining separation and squeezing out a few YAC. They're both excellent down field blockers, both prone to being streaky, and they both share a wicked straight arm.

Although I hate taking wide outs in the first round, I'll concede that doing so likely makes sense this season. We need speed. But I don't think we should discount attempting to find a sane, mature free agent receiver that knows how to plunk himself down in the soft belly of a zone.

Regarding Snyder, I'm on board with Corva. I think he's an important priority.
Share 49ersWebzone