There are 227 users in the forums

Resign Larry Grant?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Resign Larry Grant?

It would be Nice to have him back, but if he wants a monster check, then we'll have to groom another LB next year, but having him back would be a nice luxury
from rotoworld.....

Updating a previous item, 49ers ILB Larry Grant is scheduled to be a restricted free agent this offseason.

Grant has been in the NFL for four years, but only three of them were "accrued" because he was on the Rams' 53-man roster for fewer than six games as a rookie in 2008. Grant flashed promise in spot starts for Patrick Willis down the 2011 stretch. He may draw some interest if the Niners give him an "original pick" tender. Grant was St. Louis' seventh-round pick in 2008.
Thanks ^

... and also from Matt Maiocco...

Larry Grant -- He had a couple big hits on special teams throughout the season. And when Willis went down with an injury for the better part of four games, Grant stepped right into the lineup and played well. In those four games, he recorded 29 tackles with two sacks and broke up five passes. Obviously, Grant will be a backup if he returns to the 49ers. He is scheduled to be a restricted free agent. If another team envisions him as a starter, he could be lured away.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/49ers-review-Linebackers?blockID=642700&feedID=5936
He could start for a lot of teams. I hope we can keep him...but couldn't blame him if he followed the money.
Originally posted by crabman82:
from rotoworld.....

Updating a previous item, 49ers ILB Larry Grant is scheduled to be a restricted free agent this offseason.

Grant has been in the NFL for four years, but only three of them were "accrued" because he was on the Rams' 53-man roster for fewer than six games as a rookie in 2008. Grant flashed promise in spot starts for Patrick Willis down the 2011 stretch. He may draw some interest if the Niners give him an "original pick" tender. Grant was St. Louis' seventh-round pick in 2008.

Wrong. He was OUR 7th round pick. These writers need to get their facts straight.

In any case, if we really want to keep him, we'll give him the 2nd round tender. How much more would it be than an original round level tender? If it's less than a million in difference, I think we can afford it..
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Wrong. He was OUR 7th round pick. These writers need to get their facts straight.

In any case, if we really want to keep him, we'll give him the 2nd round tender. How much more would it be than an original round level tender? If it's less than a million in difference, I think we can afford it..

Pretty sure it would be in the neighborhood (but not quite) of 2 million... which I think Grant is worth it. It's important to have a guy like him that can nicely fill in for Bowman or Willis if needed. Plus, he's no slouch on STs either.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by crabman82:
from rotoworld.....

What is 2nd round tender about 2 million?
with baalke, i'll take any extra picks we can get
Larry Grant played well enough to be a starter somewhere! love to have him but he has to do whats best for his family and go to a team that will pay him starter money! He'll be back cause he wont play well cause our defense makes any linebacker look good!
Originally posted by Jakemall:
He could start for a lot of teams. I hope we can keep him...but couldn't blame him if he followed the money.

Completely agree. While I loved how well he performed in place of Willis, it was an open, national audition (especially Mon. Night vs. PIT) for a starting spot on other teams. He put the league on notice that he's a force to be reckoned with.

He played insanely well during those several games and I think he's one of the most underrated players on the team as a result of that.

I'd like SF to pay as much as they can afford to keep him spelling Willis and contributing on ST, but something tells me he'll command much more than that.

Guys... he's a RFA. He doesn't have the leverage. If we tag him for rd 2 money, he's staying a 49er unless a team wants to hand us a top draft pick.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Guys... he's a RFA. He doesn't have the leverage. If we tag him for rd 2 money, he's staying a 49er unless a team wants to hand us a top draft pick.

Very true. Not sharp on some of the free agency nuances. That's awesome.
other teams are probably going to want him to start for them. very unlikely we'd get into a bidding war if it came down to it.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
other teams are probably going to want him to start for them. very unlikely we'd get into a bidding war if it came down to it.

its just nice that if he leaves we'll get compensation for our backup ilb, i think thats awesome
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Don't know if Brooks will be back.Might as well sign the beast tamer if the price is right
Share 49ersWebzone