There are 266 users in the forums

Resign Larry Grant?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Resign Larry Grant?

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I have seen at least two sites that have Grant as a RFA and the same said for UFA...

Near as I can tell, Grant has only been active for 6 or more games in 2 season...MAYBE for 3 years with that 2009 Rams season, but not sure.

So unless I need more coffee, I am seeing him as a RFA. ( what say you, AB83rules? )

From NFL.com

Q. What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?A. In the 2010 League Year, players become restricted free agents when they complete three, four or five accrued seasons and their contract expires. Unrestricted free agents have completed six or more accrued seasons. An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any club with no compensation owed to his old club.

Q. What constitutes an "accrued season?"A. Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

hmm.. you might be right then. i assumed he was unrestricted. how do the draft-tender rules work?

draft-tender? What does you is mean?

If you mean compensation for an RFA, then SF can place a tender level on Grant.

http://nflcommunications.com/2010/02/19/frequently-asked-questions-%E2%80%93-tenders-for-restricted-free-agents/

Right of First Refusal — $1,101,000
Right of First Refusal + Pick in player's original draft round — $1,101,000*
Right of First Refusal + Second-Round Draft Pick — $1,684,000*
Right of First Refusal + First-Round Draft Pick — $2,396,000*

i thought "draft-tender" was fairly self-explanatory, if not the technically correct term.

given our other FA needs I can't imagine we attempt to bring him back at any of those amounts.

i thought "draft-tender" was fairly self-explanatory, if not the technically correct term.

given our other FA needs I can't imagine we attempt to bring him back at any of those amounts.

I would definitely want Grant to return with any figure below 2 million. That to me is a fair price for high-quality depth behind Willis or Bowman.

I would definitely want Grant to return with any figure below 2 million. That to me is a fair price for high-quality depth behind Willis or Bowman.

yeah 1.1 would be totally fine with me, but we won't keep him at that price. maybe we'll get a 6th or 7th or whatever in return, which would be fine, but if we tender him at the lowest amount someone will scoop him up for more than we're willing to pay a (albeit valuable and quality) backup to two guys who don't come off the field.
Grant is a good run-stopper, really a prototypical TED that can eat up blockers, but he's not an adept blitzer and can't shed or disengage or push the OL like some of our other LBs. But he is a pretty smart players, solid tackler, solid though not great in coverage, and athletic and fairly disciplined.

I would be willing to give Grant up to a second round tender, but if he's only going to be a back-up, I'd give him the next level down tender. We'd still have the right to match another offer (which I doubt we would if it was a larger amount since he'd be backing up here), and we would be compensated but only a 7th.

I think the RFA system has changed, and I thought you could give a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, original draft round, or no compensation level of tender in the past. If that was still in effect, I'd offer a 3rd-round tender.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
yeah 1.1 would be totally fine with me, but we won't keep him at that price. maybe we'll get a 6th or 7th or whatever in return, which would be fine, but if we tender him at the lowest amount someone will scoop him up for more than we're willing to pay a (albeit valuable and quality) backup to two guys who don't come off the field.

The 1.6 tender for a second round pick would be ideal.
Originally posted by susweel:
His asking price will be to high for a backup. Some crappy team will pay him starter money.

This. He's probably gone
Originally posted by Youngb:
His asking price will be to high for a backup. Some crappy team will pay him starter money.

This. He's probably gone

yup, hes the matt flynn of the ilb position, woulda been easier 2 keep him if willis didnt get nicked up, he made himself some loot

The Eagles would be smart to target him.
If Grant does sign somewhere else this offseason. I want the 9ers to draft Bobby Wagner of Utah State in the third or fourth round (if he lasts that long). Would be a great backup and someone who can take over Bowmans spot in a couple years if/when he splits for his mega payday.
Originally posted by Utah9er:
If Grant does sign somewhere else this offseason. I want the 9ers to draft Bobby Wagner of Utah State in the third or fourth round (if he lasts that long). Would be a great backup and someone who can take over Bowmans spot in a couple years if/when he splits for his mega payday.

I was thinking along these lines as well, but Wagner now looks like he may be selected in rd 2.

The Question is... What is the Price tag... if he is asking for to much putting the team at risk then sorry bud its time to go.

Red and Gold
I'm sure he would like to be a starter and looking at the 49ers, there's really no chance of that in SF, somebody will offer him a starting spot, guaranteed. I'm not even sure if money is the issue as much as having a chance to be a starter and a regular contributor, he played well enough in replacement of Willis to open some eyes around the league. Just hope he gets out of the NFC West.....and doesn't end up with Dallas.
I would love to have him back. Putting him on the outside is an interesting call for Brooks, but I don't think he would do as well on the outside. I don't think he has the speed to rush, but he looked good in coverage.

I think teams might go after him now but do they think of him as a starter, or just a back up who fills in well.

I think the Niners will try to keep him, plus he's playing for his hometeam.....he's from the city.
4-3 defense, baby !!!
He should be the last of our worries. I can see Oakland offering him a nice paycheck to stay close to home
Share 49ersWebzone