There are 166 users in the forums

Resign Larry Grant?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Resign Larry Grant?

Man Larry is a Survivor! Not alot people know Larry has won a title at every level. I think it was 2 state titles in High school, he won 2 JUCO national titles and played in 2 National titles at Ohio state!! This guy carries a golden horseshoe in his back pocket i think. I hope we sign him just for all his freakin luck!!! If Larry Grant in on your team, you have a chance at a Title!!
as much as I was impressed by the dude and love the depth he provides, I don't think he will be a high priority. Some team will give him a chance to start and the money that goes along with that. Not sure we can or should field a competitive offer for him.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
as much as I was impressed by the dude and love the depth he provides, I don't think he will be a high priority. Some team will give him a chance to start and the money that goes along with that. Not sure we can or should field a competitive offer for him.

We'll get a draft pick for him depending on the tender.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

i could be wrong but I think he is an unrestricted free agent which means we can't put a tender on him.
How hard is it to put a hyphen between re, and sign? every time I see the word resigned, I think the word quit, or let go.. just me nitpicking, but I've seen this plenty of times on this forum where re-signed is spelled incorrectly. But yes, the man should be re-signed for depth
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

i could be wrong but I think he is an unrestricted free agent which means we can't put a tender on him.

He is a restricted free agent
I have seen at least two sites that have Grant as a RFA and the same said for UFA...

Near as I can tell, Grant has only been active for 6 or more games in 2 season...MAYBE for 3 years with that 2009 Rams season, but not sure.

So unless I need more coffee, I am seeing him as a RFA. ( what say you, AB83rules? )

From NFL.com

Q. What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?A. In the 2010 League Year, players become restricted free agents when they complete three, four or five accrued seasons and their contract expires. Unrestricted free agents have completed six or more accrued seasons. An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any club with no compensation owed to his old club.

Q. What constitutes an "accrued season?"A. Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
I have seen at least two sites that have Grant as a RFA and the same said for UFA...

Near as I can tell, Grant has only been active for 6 or more games in 2 season...MAYBE for 3 years with that 2009 Rams season, but not sure.

So unless I need more coffee, I am seeing him as a RFA. ( what say you, AB83rules? )

From NFL.com

Q. What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?A. In the 2010 League Year, players become restricted free agents when they complete three, four or five accrued seasons and their contract expires. Unrestricted free agents have completed six or more accrued seasons. An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any club with no compensation owed to his old club.

Q. What constitutes an "accrued season?"A. Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

hmm.. you might be right then. i assumed he was unrestricted. how do the draft-tender rules work?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think it will just come down to #'s. Money and # of players both. We can't resign everybody. We have some real key guys this year. If we don't resign Brooks maybe we could give Grant a run. They are different players but it would be good to get one back. He's just awesome depth. He can fill in and make plays. You aren't afraid to have him on the field. I can't believe how good this defense is this year. Even the backups are good. It didn't used to be this way around here...

Well it was like that, it just took about a decade for history to repeat itself.... This has truley been a magical year, a year that I pinched myself many times to make sure it wasn't more daydreaming. I've done a lot of that these last several years.

As low as we sunk to have backups that are good and Harbaugh as HC and Baalke who I must admit is better than I thought is absolutely amazing.

Exactly. First time in awhile I have been looking forward to a draft with confidence in who was making the picks.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

From NFL.com

hmm.. you might be right then. i assumed he was unrestricted. how do the draft-tender rules work?

draft-tender? What does you is mean?

If you mean compensation for an RFA, then SF can place a tender level on Grant.

http://nflcommunications.com/2010/02/19/frequently-asked-questions-%E2%80%93-tenders-for-restricted-free-agents/

Right of First Refusal — $1,101,000
Right of First Refusal + Pick in player's original draft round — $1,101,000*
Right of First Refusal + Second-Round Draft Pick — $1,684,000*
Right of First Refusal + First-Round Draft Pick — $2,396,000*

I hope he is re-signed as well, but I can see another team offering him a nice bump in salary and a chance to start.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Feed the beast!!

[ Edited by English on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM ]
Wasnt he signed by us as an unrestricted free agent?
Originally posted by English:
Wasnt he signed by us as an unrestricted free agent?

I guess so... roto says the Rams didn't bother to retain him as a RFA. Today's article from this site states he is a RFA. I...just don't know for sure what he is.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/49ers-Face-Interesting-Choices-in-Free-Agency-138328719.html

The full list of 49ers free agents, reports Branch, consists of:

Unrestricted: Brooks; linebacker and special teams standout Blake Costanzo; receiver Ted Ginn Jr; Goldson; linebacker Tavares Gooden; receiver Joshua Morgan; tight end Justin Peele; guard Chilo Rachal; Rogers; fullback Moran Norris; quarterback Alex Smith; safety Reggie Smith; offensive lineman Adam Snyder; and safety Madieu Williams.

Restricted free agents: linebacker Larry Grant, defensive back C.J. Spillman; receiver Brett Swain.

Exclusive-rights free agents: cornerback Tramaine Brock and defensive tackle Will Tukuafu.

The 49ers can match any offer made to a restricted free agent; exclusive-rights free agents must accept a salary offer from the 49ers that meets NFL minimum contract requirements.

Share 49ersWebzone