LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Delaine walker.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Tman:
Can you wire a jaw shut and put a huge facemask on and a double chin strap and still play? It's the playoffs. Just sayin...

wire that s**t shut!! now we can call him D Lock

take the rams game off, we will have the bye and he will be back for our playoff game....s**t if boldin can come back in 3 games from getting his dome caved in for the regular season, he can do it for the playoffs

I guess it's a lot to ask. And there is certainly risk. But I'm just saying. Maybe you could put a huge facemask that comes a lot lower and a double chin strap to hold it on real good. I'm just guessing maybe it's possible. Maybe it's too risky and impossible. And I certainly wouldn't blame somebody if they couldn't play under that circumstance.

No offense, but that would be a stupid and possibly life threatening thing to do. I broke my jaw when I was a teenager due to a bicycling accident and had to have my jaw wired shut for 6 weeks. I only weighed about 140 and lost 15 pounds. I also had to wear surgical scissors around my neck and my family and friends were instructed on how to cut my jaw open in case I started vomiting for any reason. Also, due to the way my teeth line up, I had to due 90% of my breathing through my nose. If I then sustained a broken or bloody nose for any reason, I could have had severe breathing issues. Then there are the nutritional issues because you're on a liquid diet. I was definitely weaker than if I'd had a normal diet. Considering all of these factors, I doubt he'd even get medical clearance to play with his jaw wired shut.
[ Edited by GoalLineStand on Dec 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
So is Kanye done for the season ?

we probably wont know until mid-week.
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
Originally posted by Tman:
Can you wire a jaw shut and put a huge facemask on and a double chin strap and still play? It's the playoffs. Just sayin...

wire that s**t shut!! now we can call him D Lock

take the rams game off, we will have the bye and he will be back for our playoff game....s**t if boldin can come back in 3 games from getting his dome caved in for the regular season, he can do it for the playoffs

I guess it's a lot to ask. And there is certainly risk. But I'm just saying. Maybe you could put a huge facemask that comes a lot lower and a double chin strap to hold it on real good. I'm just guessing maybe it's possible. Maybe it's too risky and impossible. And I certainly wouldn't blame somebody if they couldn't play under that circumstance.

No offense, but that would be a stupid and possibly life threatening thing to do. I broke my jaw when I was a teenager due to a bicycling accident and had to have my jaw wired shut for 6 weeks. I only weighed about 140 and lost 15 pounds. I also had to wear surgical scissors around my neck and my family and friends were instructed on how to cut my jaw open in case I started vomiting for any reason. Also, due to the way my teeth line up, I had to due 90% of my breathing through my nose. If I then sustained a broken or bloody nose for any reason, I could have had severe breathing issues. Then there are the nutritional issues because you're on a liquid diet. I was definitely weaker than if I'd had a normal diet. Considering all of these factors, I doubt he'd even get medical clearance to play with his jaw wired shut.

goddamn that must have been hell.

lmao the broken jaw makes him even more like kanye. but seriously though...

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
They said on CSN Bay Area last night that he was on the team charter home
http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/12/25/2660506/49ers-vs-seahawks-injury-report-delanie-walker-kyle-williams-suffer

Walker went to the hospital to have his jaw checked out, but he flew home with the team and there is no further word at this point on his injury. It sounds significant based on Matt Maiocco's report, but we don't see a whole lot of jaw injuries all that frequently.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by global_nomad:

we probably wont know until mid-week.

Feel bad for him that hit was brutal.
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
But didn't Delanie actually fly back with the team? I know that if you break your orbital bone you can't fly because that'll cause some problems, so either his injury actually isn't that bad or the doctors f**ked up...

Not flying is usually general contraindication (not an absolute) after an orbital fx but neither a mandible fx or a LeFort I involve the orbital bone (while LeFort II-IIIs do). From the way he was holding the towel over his jaw, I think it was likely an open mandible fx with bleeding from his mouth. If it's a fracture that requires wire fixation, he will likely be fixed for approx 4-6 weeks and he would lose some weight. While not impossible to play (ie Boldin) most would recommend against it.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
He does so much more for us than just catching

Thank you G
just another ignorant post by someone who really knows his football

lol
  • carl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Super5:
Thank you G
just another ignorant post by someone who really knows his football

lol

IKR! He was helpful on that 4th down play against the Lions...
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I feel bad for Delanie, and hope he can come back this season, but he really hasn't done a damn thing recently.
He hasn't caught any passes for awhile because his number hasn't been called but he is doing everything else asked of him.
I assume Harbaugh/Roman quit utilizing him & Davis at the same time because of protection issues with the O line
Originally posted by niner4life21:
walker hasn't done s**t since his game winning TD in Detroit...

Except hold the edge for Gore on stretch plays, wham block DT's on trap plays, blow people up on special teams, etc., etc. . . .

Anyone else find it funny that he looks like Kanye and is gonna get his jaw wired?

Originally posted by Otohns:
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
But didn't Delanie actually fly back with the team? I know that if you break your orbital bone you can't fly because that'll cause some problems, so either his injury actually isn't that bad or the doctors f**ked up...

Not flying is usually general contraindication (not an absolute) after an orbital fx but neither a mandible fx or a LeFort I involve the orbital bone (while LeFort II-IIIs do). From the way he was holding the towel over his jaw, I think it was likely an open mandible fx with bleeding from his mouth. If it's a fracture that requires wire fixation, he will likely be fixed for approx 4-6 weeks and he would lose some weight. While not impossible to play (ie Boldin) most would recommend against it.

Sowhat you are saying is he will be back for the super bowl :)
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
doesnt look to serious hopes he gets better he streches the fiels and hasgood hands

He has a broken jaw according to reports-thats serious! There is no way to protect a broken jaw. Geez-its only a game, people are forgetting he is human. Sure would like to see some who are taking a stance that he should man up try it and at the pro level where guys like lewis and willis are waiting to conk your lights out. Easy to say smack in the comfort of chair.
[ Edited by WildBill on Dec 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by niner4life21:
walker hasn't done s**t since his game winning TD in Detroit...

are you trolling or being serious....?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Tight end Vernon Davis indicates that teammate Delanie Walker has a broken jaw after being kneed in the side of the face early Saturday.

http://twitter.com/#!/mattbarrows/status/150755336930852864

That sucks. We're now thin at a position we need depth in.

Still have Nate Byham. should be healed hopefully next year
Share 49ersWebzone