LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
I'd franchise Willis, either of two guys named Smith, Gore historically, and thats about it. It is partly the player and partly the position they play and how important they are to your scheme. I doubt we will use the tag this offseason and I shall be very surprised if we use it on a safety.

He's worth the money though and it prevents him from going anywhere for a year. It's a 6 million dollar contract, that's chump change compared to franchise WR which is over like 10 mill. He helps our team a lot, even without PWillis our defense just kicked Pitt's ass. Part of that is because of Goldson.
What about the draft? Any safeties in the late 1st round worth mentioning?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by English:
I'd franchise Willis, either of two guys named Smith, Gore historically, and thats about it. It is partly the player and partly the position they play and how important they are to your scheme. I doubt we will use the tag this offseason and I shall be very surprised if we use it on a safety.

He's worth the money though and it prevents him from going anywhere for a year. It's a 6 million dollar contract, that's chump change compared to franchise WR which is over like 10 mill. He helps our team a lot, even without PWillis our defense just kicked Pitt's ass. Part of that is because of Goldson.

This. You get it.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Originally posted by ace49ers:

Draft War Room. Sarcasm indicator has powered down and gone tech. Please take sarcastic comment as read.
^^^ lol all good.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
F*CK NO!!!

I didn't even LIKE the guy last year. The safeties behind him are far worse, I'll give you that, but thats a reason to get better backup safeties, not to franchise a guy who doesn't deserve the designation.

My hope is that the Niners won't user the tag at all and can resign the guys they need to resign. None of the guys tho who are on one year deals are worth a franchise tag.

I'd also resign a corner over a safety any day of the week.

...and none of this even speaks to the fact that he was missing tackles all over the place last night. I'm onboard with resigning him, but franchise tag!?! No way.

This.
Hes good for at least two hits a game, on his OWN teammates. He's having a better year than he did last year but he's still missing tackles and taking bad angles. I would rather spend the money on Rogers and draft a FS.
I think this will be tough. Dude is going to ask for much monies now, especially with his agent. With 6 picks and the overall team D we played, some team may want to pay him.

But I think Carlos likes it here and will sign for decent cash. DO IT.
Either way we need to keep both players. Keep this f**king defense and give the offense some weapons and time. We shall be bad azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzer
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Hes good for at least two hits a game, on his OWN teammates. He's having a better year than he did last year but he's still missing tackles and taking bad angles. I would rather spend the money on Rogers and draft a FS.

I agree

He needs to work on his tackling, he misses A LOT. But yes, he is having a beastly season... lets just sign him long-term like he wanted in the first place.
Its not just a matter of wether we bring people back, its how much we pay to bring them back.

I think we let Goldson go, I think he will have high expectations for pay.

He goes for the big hits rather then wrap up solid tackles. I think his pass coverage is pretty poor, yes has a lot of picks this year but I'm pretty sure most of them are from tipped balls which frankly has a lot of luck involved and usually means the coverage player made a good play or had tight coverage. I just think he plays way too risky and can't be expected to cover. For example, on that Fitzgerald TD last game, he tried to pick the ball with no one behind him, he wasn't in range to pick it, and Fitzgeral came down and took it in easily. The smart play would have been for Goldson to get an arm in there and try to strip the ball as Fitzgerald came down so at least he could tackle him as well.

I think he will want $3mill, and in that case we let him go.

If he is willing to take between 1.5-1.75 million, then re-sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. (top 15 safeties earn $2million or more, I don't think he is a top 15 safety).

As far as Carlos Rogers, I'd say he is worth $3million per year (which would put him with Sheldon Brown, Marcus Trufant and.....Shawntae Spencer, lol). I'd be willing to pay up to $4 million for Rogers if its a short contract, I think a CB with his skills is pretty valuable and not as easy to replace in the draft.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Dec 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he's gonna want a s**tload of money. Tag or release will be the only options. I think he's gone this offseason.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he's gonna want a s**tload of money. Tag or release will be the only options. I think he's gone this offseason.

Yea sucks because contrary to many I think he is a top 15 safety. That play vs Arizona was dumb but if that's anyone else besides Fitz he gets the pick
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

That fool turned down 5 years 25 million last year and with the way he is playing this year that fool is gonna want Eric Weddle money
Share 49ersWebzone