LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Goldson over Rodgers for me. The first two weeks prove why

We do NEED both of these guys back though

Yes I want both back. More important to franchise Goldson though because of the lower franchise # for safetys and his younger age also.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Dang we were bashing this dude all over the place when he held out, I feel all guilty now.

He is the real deal and we need him signed long term IMO.

Couldnt agree more but I dont think we resign him to a big deal...
lol you want to pay Goldson a top 5 FS salary? He doesn't wrap up his tackles, he goes for the ball when he's supposed to be the last line of defense, and hes more concerned with the big hit than anything else. He's been much improved from years past, but the Fitzgerald TD last Sunday was typical. You don't try and out jump Fitz for the ball when your the only guy who has a shot to save the TD if he catches it.
I still think he is overrated
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol you want to pay Goldson a top 5 FS salary? He doesn't wrap up his tackles, he goes for the ball when he's supposed to be the last line of defense, and hes more concerned with the big hit than anything else. He's been much improved from years past, but the Fitzgerald TD last Sunday was typical. You don't try and out jump Fitz for the ball when your the only guy who has a shot to save the TD if he catches it.

Wow so he had 1 bad play and dozens of game changing great plays this season. Lets cut him....

Name 10 safetys better than Goldson right now.

Wow so he had 1 bad play and dozens of game changing great plays this season. Lets cut him....

bawt dood! he's not ed reed or troy polamolu so he obisly is teh suxorz! we need a pro bowler at evary pozishun!

seriously, like 6 INTs, a lot of PDs, pretty good coverage, and good run support and he's not worth keeping around? Honestly feel like one of the only FSs who has played at a higher level than him all season is Eric Weddle of the Chargers. Goldson has been f**king good.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

bawt dood! he's not ed reed or troy polamolu so he obisly is teh suxorz! we need a pro bowler at evary pozishun!

seriously, like 6 INTs, a lot of PDs, pretty good coverage, and good run support and he's not worth keeping around? Honestly feel like one of the only FSs who has played at a higher level than him all season is Eric Weddle of the Chargers. Goldson has been f**king good.

Ed Reed and Polamalu are obviously better. At least historically proven over a long time. I live here in SD and I honestly don't think Weddle is any better. I'd take Goldson. I can't think of too many more guys who are better. These guys are unrealistic about how good he is. He's very good right now and will command top dollar.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 21, 2011 at 2:17 AM ]
I'd franchise Willis, either of two guys named Smith, Gore historically, and thats about it. It is partly the player and partly the position they play and how important they are to your scheme. I doubt we will use the tag this offseason and I shall be very surprised if we use it on a safety.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
offer him the same contract as last year minus 1 year of course

lol if only it were that simple, all this wanting to be here stuff is cute, but its about money

Yeah. Cute. He will have to get paid this offseason. People want to be where the $$$$$$ is.
p

us normal people often dont get it, always here ppl say something like whats the difference between 26 and 33 million, the answer is 7 million and thats a lot of money, its often what these things come down to

Yeah if somebody offers you $26 million vs.$25.5 million at the place you want to play that's one thing. But $26 million vs. $33 million is a big difference. You would be a fool financially not to take that.

If the guy wants to break the bank, he had better learn to tackle better. Also the difference between 26 and 33 million...greed and ego. If you can't get by with only 26 million, you got serious problems. I know it is all about having the biggest contract for bragging rights, but damn...how much f**kin money does a homey need? Greedy people trip me the f**k out.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
offer him the same contract as last year minus 1 year of course

lol if only it were that simple, all this wanting to be here stuff is cute, but its about money

Yeah. Cute. He will have to get paid this offseason. People want to be where the $$$$$$ is.
p

us normal people often dont get it, always here ppl say something like whats the difference between 26 and 33 million, the answer is 7 million and thats a lot of money, its often what these things come down to

Yeah if somebody offers you $26 million vs.$25.5 million at the place you want to play that's one thing. But $26 million vs. $33 million is a big difference. You would be a fool financially not to take that.

If the guy wants to break the bank, he had better learn to tackle better. Also the difference between 26 and 33 million...greed and ego. If you can't get by with only 26 million, you got serious problems. I know it is all about having the biggest contract for bragging rights, but damn...how much f**kin money does a homey need? Greedy people trip me the f**k out.

If you would pass up $7 million more you need to have your head examined.

Goldson tackles fine. He goes for the big hit a lot. When he doesn't go for the big hit he wraps up. A lot of knit picking going on here with Goldson. He's clearly one of the better safetys in the league.

Goldson tackles fine. He goes for the big hit a lot. When he doesn't go for the big hit he wraps up. A lot of knit picking going on here with Goldson. He's clearly one of the better safetys in the league.

Agree he is one of the better safeties. I wouldnt franchise someone who was just that. Maybe if he was runaway the best safety. But there are going to be a lot of good players wanting financial recognition after this season. Tough choices.
The franchise tag is the average of the top 5 paid players at the position. I believe that both safety spots are combined in the same category. If that's true, then Goldson would be paid about 6 mil per year based on the numbers i found from this website and Carlos Rogers would be much much more since corners make premium pay. This was a major factor in Nate Clements not wanting to move to safety this offseason.

http://www.spotrac.com/

Goldson is a stud. Last year he had a nagging foot injury almost the entire year but there was nobody behind him that was good enough to step up. If you look at his performance two years ago and his performance this year, you will notice many similarities. Fact is, this guy is clutch and makes big plays. How many other safeties have we seen make a hit like this?

Originally posted by English:

Agree he is one of the better safeties. I wouldnt franchise someone who was just that. Maybe if he was runaway the best safety. But there are going to be a lot of good players wanting financial recognition after this season. Tough choices.

They have plenty of room under the cap. It's not the only player they will resign. They can still sign other players from other teams. And the franchise # for safetys is not that high.
They have plenty of room under the cap. It's not the only player they will resign. They can still sign other players from other teams. And the franchise # for safetys is not that high.

Not going to agree on this. Still, you don't deploy the franchise tag before you have exhausted negotiation.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
can't we franchise Alex instead? or is that not possible.

Dashon doesn't seem like a player that would take too kindly to a franchise tag, especially after he felt we jaded him this past offseason. Sure "Too Bad, so what", but imo that is just the reality of the situation.....and it could turn into a distraction leading up to and during the season. Heck he might even change the way he plays and tries to take care of himself, causing us some big plays. Either we let him walk, or we resign him. I don't think Alex would make that big of a deal of a tag. Besides I'd like to see more of Alex before signing him to a multi-year deal....then if there is obvious improvement during the season next year, we can give him the money he deserves.

Franchise Alex? You can, but hell no. Franchise tag means he gets the average salary of the top 5 QBs in the league. Although I don't mind him coming back with an extension, he is not worth the average of the top five QBs. That would surely screw our ability to resign the others or any free agent. Who knows what the top five salaries for QBs are right now?

Franchising Goldson as compared to Rodgers is cheaper as CBs command higher salaries. I don't judge a player by age. Rodgers doesn't play like he is old. There are many CB who can play well into their 30s. So I would sign him to a 4 year deal. Good corners are harder to come by than safties. Hope is that we sign both. They are our top two priorities.
Share 49ersWebzone