There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OFFICIAL "GOTTA WATCH THE TAPE" thread: coaches film on 49ers sacks (RAVENS GAME

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Smith getting blame for ineffective double teamed blocking, with beyond a reasonable expectation of pocket movements while looking down field. Holy sh*t, the Zone!

I love it!

Is there any other QB held to these standards or scrutinized THIS closely by their own fans?

At least, despite Tebow's "faults," his fans get behind him.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
It seems to me that based on the pressure we should employ 2 back, split sets and 3 wr sets. it would force the other team to bring in another corner, eliminate a LB and we would have 2 backs to pick up blitzers. If no blitzer we have a RB to dump off to.

Smart!

So you dont want Vernon Davis on the field then??

Well, he could line up as one of the WRs
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
This has been even further eye opening. The fact that our OL is allowing DT's to split double teams within ONE SECOND in the middle is ASTOUNDING. There is no other way to describe aside from atrocious -- and all the synonyms that go with that.

I'm sorry, but a QB should be able to expect more than 1-2 seconds to actually look around and throw the ball. Frick, man, on Thursday Night Football tonight I watched Ryan stand there for 3 to 4 seconds.. 1st second look at first read, 2nd second look at 2nd read.. 3rd.. then fires to fourth read. We are lucky if our QB has enough time to see the first, and by the time that happens, he's prepping for a hit.

Sometimes guys are going to break free, especially when you are playing a great D. You have to avoid the instant rush and make a throw. Its part of the game. The better ones do it consistently.

Watch this game winning pass in a bowl game by Montana. INSTANT pressure, quick shift to the right and a fire dart for a TD. We need to see things like this from Alex. Not pause, make a attempt at a juke, and take a sack. In this vid, there is no doubt in my mind Alex Smith would take a sack on that last play of the game.

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Smith getting blame for ineffective double teamed blocking, with beyond a reasonable expectation of pocket movements while looking down field. Holy sh*t, the Zone!

I love it!

Is there any other QB held to these standards or scrutinized THIS closely by their own fans?

At least, despite Tebow's "faults," his fans get behind him.

And you guys find everything else to blame but him.

"Oh the grass was too long on that field"
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
Watching this is informative but frustrating at the same time. Receivers and QBs have to be on the same page. Knowing that a blitz is coming and to break off their routes. Alex also needs to take more chances and throw the ball up to a spot and let the receive make a play. Like Steve Young said today Alex needs to throw his receives open more. But that all takes time in a new system.

Time and time to develop confidence in his receivers. For example, if he trusted VD to actually use his body to shield the defender, then he should let it go. However, Vernon has never been good at that...so far.

Growing pains in a new system.
Makes me think back of all the games Steve Young had against the Saints' defense. He was 'consistently' sacked and roughed up. I guess with his RB level speed, Young was supposed to escape the rush 'consistently' too. He had one of the best offense in the league at the time playing for him, so he has no excuse either.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM ]
Makes me think back of all the games Steve Young had against the Saints' defense. He was 'consistently' sacked and roughed up. I guess with his RB level speed, Young was supposed to escape the rush 'consistently' too.

apples to oranges my friend. Your comparing a great player to a mediocre player.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Love it! But there is a big difference here...Montana is already looking and leaning to throw to his right and therefore, was easily able to roll right (the best in the game...ever). Had the pressure come from the same side as he was trying to throw (like Alex's sack), he probably would have been sacked. He also had a short throw compared to Alex's (cross-body to the left downfield) AND had two options to pass too! Looks like the WR made one hell of a catch too; doubt anyone on our team could catch a strike like that.

Plus its Montana...come on. Be fair at least. LOL. He also totally missed the wide open WR on the first strike to the same spot. THAT GUY SUCKS!!!!!

For the record though, you are right...quick-strikes like this used to be a staple of the WCO and we need to bring this back. Alex and Crabtree are EXCELLENT on quick slants. The quick WR screen is effective. But these plays are too rare in our play-calling IMHO.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM ]
Love it! But there is a big difference here...Montana is already looking and leaning to throw to his right and therefore, was easily able to move roll right (best in the game...ever). Had the pressure come from the same side as he was trying to throw (like Alex), he probably would have been sacked. He also had a short throw compared to Alex's sack AND had two options to pass too! Looks like the WR made one hell of a catch too.

Plus its Montana...come on. Be fair at least. LOL. I guess he did totally miss the wide open WR on the first strike to the same spot. THAT GUY SUCKS!!!!!

Even though he was leaning and looking to the right, he saw the instant pressure and was able to escape it and make the throw. Some have posted here that it is laughable to expect a QB to beat instant pressure, escape, keep looking down field, and make an accuracte throw. It is part of being a QB.

Smith actually had more room to maneuver. The DT, as you can see, is within 2 yards of Joe. In the Smith slide, he has about 3 yards to maneuver. Also, Ginn was open over the middle. If Smith can make the DT miss, its a clear pass to the slot for a big gain.

Love it! But there is a big difference here...Montana is already looking and leaning to throw to his right and therefore, was easily able to move roll right (best in the game...ever). Had the pressure come from the same side as he was trying to throw (like Alex), he probably would have been sacked. He also had a short throw compared to Alex's sack AND had two options to pass too! Looks like the WR made one hell of a catch too.

Plus its Montana...come on. Be fair at least. LOL. I guess he did totally miss the wide open WR on the first strike to the same spot. THAT GUY SUCKS!!!!!

Even though he was leaning and looking to the right, he saw the instant pressure and was able to escape it and make the throw. Some have posted here that it is laughable to expect a QB to beat instant pressure, escape, keep looking down field, and make an accuracte throw. It is part of being a QB.

Smith actually had more room to maneuver. The DT, as you can see, is within 2 yards of Joe. In the Smith slide, he has about 3 yards to maneuver. Also, Ginn was open over the middle. If Smith can make the DT miss, its a clear pass to the slot for a big gain.

Totally hear what you are saying and can see your perspective. No worries...was just pointing out it's much easier to escape pressure when your momentum is already leaning to the safe side and was pointing out how that was different than Alex's scenario. Montana was one of the very best QB of all times re: "anticipating" pressure and routes by WR's. He, to this day, had one of the best pocket presence I've ever seen; the guy had a "feel" you don't see very often and eyes in the back of his head. That said, he was one of the most beat up QB's of all times as well d/t the fact that we leaned on smaller, quicker OL. Many of his best plays were where he was running for his life. But in looking at the issues with Montana, his lines were generally very consistent over time. This year, I have seen horrible OL play, then good play and now back to horrible play. Until Alex can get ANY consistency from the OL, the WR, the play-calling, the RZ philosophy, etc. I just don't see Alex developing the confidence that is needed to play at a consistently high level in the NFL...beyond what he has done this year.

BEAST.
Man where are you guys getting all this great content ?

Totally hear what you are saying and can see your perspective. No worries...was just pointing out it's much easier to escape pressure when your momentum is already leaning to the safe side and was pointing out how that was different than Alex's scenario. Montana was one of the very best QB of all times re: "anticipating" pressure and routes by WR's. He, to this day, had one of the best pocket presence I've ever seen; the guy had a "feel" you don't see very often and eyes in the back of his head. That said, he was one of the most beat up QB's of all times as well d/t the fact that we leaned on smaller, quicker OL. Many of his best plays were where he was running for his life. But in looking at the issues with Montana, his lines were generally very consistent over time. This year, I have seen horrible OL play, then good play and now back to horrible play. Until Alex can get ANY consistency from the OL, the WR, the play-calling, the RZ philosophy, etc. I just don't see Alex developing the confidence that is needed to play at a consistently high level in the NFL...beyond what he has done this year.

I can dig it.