LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

Calling Out Players That Need to be Called Out

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My callout goes to Alex Smith. How do you get a delay of game call coming off a timeout???
When I say "comeback" the second time, I'm trying to use simple language that your reptilian brain can understand. With a hitch route, you're timing your break (as in coming back to where you're trying to catch the ball) to be where the ball is supposed to be.
Originally posted by Quarterbacking101:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Actually, yes, it was a comeback to the corner of the pylon. They tried to run the same route to Ted Ginn after realizing Edwards wasn't agile enough to do it.

I'm not defending the throw. I'm saying you can't criticize him for throwing a bad fade when the play wasn't designed to be a fade.

A comeback is when the receiver runs straight and and then turns his shoulder in the opposite direction of what braylon did. It's a timing pattern. That is the definition of a fade because Braylon contorted his body in mid air for the backshoulder. Unless you are saying Braylon ran the wrong route. Which i guess is possible, but sounds like another alexcuse.

a timing pattern...hmmmmm...do ya think maybe braylon's injuries effect his ability to practice, and to deevelop timing with his qb....nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Yeah, most receivers don't...because most receivers have some semblance of agility. If this wasn't a designed hitch, then why does Braylon twist his body before even seeing the ball? His eyes are straight ahead the whole time until he bumps the defender.

His eyes were straight ahead on the Jets one too until he stopped, contorted his body mid air to catch the backshoulder fade.

Come back when you know what you're talking about
Originally posted by hofer36:
a timing pattern...hmmmmm...do ya think maybe braylon's injuries effect his ability to practice, and to deevelop timing with his qb....nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Settle down. I said a comeback route was a timing pattern, not a fade, which is what the route was, despite what wannabe football expert 126demurrer will tell you.

A fade isnt hard to throw. If Mark Sanchez can do it...Most QB's should be able to.
His eyes were straight ahead on the Jets one too until he stopped, contorted his body mid air to catch the backshoulder fade.

Come back when you know what you're talking about

Of course his eyes were straight ahead on his Jets fade route, he knows where the ball is going and stopped to look for it. By the same token, he tried to look for the ball at the pylon in the 49ers play.

If this were the same type of route as the first video, he wouldn't have stopped to look for it until he beat his defender in the corner of the endzone.
Originally posted by lifer49erfan:
My callout goes to Alex Smith. How do you get a delay of game call coming off a timeout???

Because any time teams show the blitz, Alex has to call a timeout because he's confused. I don't see this happen with any other QB. Of course, I'm sure it was the coaches fault for that one...Just like it was Raye's fault last year...yet there is a common denominator.....Too bad people can't accept the common denominator.
Of course his eyes were straight ahead on his Jets fade route, he knows where the ball is going and stopped to look for it. By the same token, he tried to look for the ball at the pylon in the 49ers play.

If this were the same type of route as the first video, he wouldn't have stopped to look for it until he beat his defender in the corner of the endzone.

Answer me this, how come this looks like the same route as the one in the opener vs Seattle where Braylon got the PI? Cause I remember watching sound FX on 49ers.com and you hear harbaugh saying "Alex, take Braylon on the fade"....It looked exactly the same, and that means the throw too. He threw a poor fade in the opener on that one, and we lucked out with a PI call.

So....Do you know more about our routes than jim harbaugh?
And even assuming this was a back shoulder fade (and not a regular fade), they're thrown closer to the pylon, you saw Rodgers throw it really close to the Pylon to Jennings in the last game.
And if that WAS a hitch(which its not) ....You dont throw a hitch to the backshoulder. Cause that's where Alex was aiming for, even though he sailed it anyways. A hitch is where you start, then stop and comeback to the ball planting your left foot and sweeping your right foot in position to catch it facing the ball. You really are clueless, lmfao. Throwing to the backshoulder on a HITCH. Jesus. Football knowledge is really lacking on this site, but what else is new.
[ Edited by Quarterbacking101 on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM ]

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Funny thing! The Smith supporters are accused of never saying anything against him and yet almost every post from the anti-Smith folks is about how bad he is. Your comment "isn't a coincidence that most of his completions this year have been wide open due to excellent play design" is bogus. Smith has thrown very good outs to covered WRs where they were the only ones who had a chance to get to the ball. He has also thrown receivers open and placed the ball perfectly to win games. But his throws to wide open receivers are usually dropped...VD in the end zone, Ginn for a sure TD.

Drops per pass is quite a different story. Since the 9er offense is predicated on efficiency, not bombs away, every drop is magnified in importance. That goes for every penalty as well.

It isn't possible to quantify exceptional catches per pass but it seems unlikely that any viewer could dispute that most teams with 10 wins have a better rate than the 9ers. There are few catches that have had any wow factor for SF this year. Watching GB and other good teams you see several of these great catches per game.

Green Bay? Funny you mention that. In the superbowl, Jordy nelson dropped 4 passes, James Jones dropped 1, and Driver had one. Every team deals with drops. Only teams with bad QB's (Denver fans and Niner fans) whine about drops to support their QB

Nice try! GB passes more and Rodgers makes riskier throws than SF and Smith. GB receivers drop as many passes as SF, they just have a third again as many chances to make the drops. They also defend against interceptions, which the SF receivers do not do effectively (Smith just doesn't throw into tight coverage). You seem intent on taking over the thread to speak against Smith at any opportunity, it would be interesting to know if you think the rest of the team are all probowlers or do they deserve some criticism?

Edit: Your comment regarding Smith calling time out every time teams blitz demonstrates you bias and leaves one to wonder how serious you are about reasonable discussion. Not very would be my guess.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM ]
And if that WAS a hitch(which its not) ....You dont throw a hitch to the backshoulder. Cause that's where Alex was aiming for, even though he sailed it anyways. A hitch is where you start, then stop and comeback to the ball planting your left foot and sweeping your right foot in position to catch it facing the ball. You really are clueless, lmfao.

What exactly is your contention? You post a video showing the difference between a standard corner fade route with Braylon as a NYJ and either a blown hitch route or a back shoulder fade.

If your contention is that this is a fade route, as your video would suggest, you are wrong.

I can accept that this was supposed to be a BACK SHOULDER fade which you seem to have shifted to after the fact, but that's a VERY different throw from a regular fade.
To be clear: I think it was a bad throw either way. But I don't think it was a designed fade route.
What exactly is your contention? You post a video showing the difference between a standard corner fade route with Braylon as a NYJ and either a blown hitch route or a back shoulder fade.

If your contention is that this is a fade route, as your video would suggest, you are wrong.

I can accept that this was supposed to be a BACK SHOULDER fade which you seem to have shifted to after the fact, but that's a VERY different throw from a regular fade.

this is a hitch.

That's not at all what braylon ran. You talked out of your ass. No big deal. Just try better next time to sound smart.
this whole page is just
Share 49ersWebzone