LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Calling Out Players That Need to be Called Out

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Walker....come on guy catch the ball lean for the first down....not lean for the first down and miss the catch.....c'mon man.....
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
My call out is to all the pass catching positions...WR, TE, RB...Catch the damn ball!

How many passes bounce of chests, helmets and hands a game. We have to lead the league in drops. This doesnt even mention the ones that are a little off target that all the quality recievers in the league go get anyway. No your not Megatron but damn man at least try and go after it you never know you might make your QB look good for a change.

There have been quite a few days when Alex made our recievers look bad, but can we truely say there has ever been a day when the recievers made him look good?
Excellent question.

^

Ironically I thought of one in the Cards game. It was Ginn making a fabulous catch for a 1st down conversion near the goal-line. It's one of the reason I don't hate Ginn as much despite of he drops.

haha yeah the WRs make nice catches on overthrows all the time. See Detroit and Crabtree. See Vernon Davis 2009.

Sometimes better throws would lead to less drops. Imagine if i threw 100 passes that were perfect spirals and on target. And now image i threw 100 passes that were slightly off target, wobbly, or not with the correct velocity.

Of the perfect 100 balls, more will be caught then the off target balls.

I think Smith needs to be more precise in his deep to middle range passing. Also, getting the ball out has not just been an issue this past game. It has been an issue all year but its been hidden due to Defense, ST and the running game. Defense and running game hit a lul and the QB is getting exposed. Its not like we were lighting it up with Alex before this past game. We squeeked by our victories with good ST, D and running the ball. Getting the ball out has always been Alex's problem. That combined with poor pocket awareness, which are two in the same, has led to an average season on a very good team.

Dude, don't over do it. I'm still a Smith supporter Receivers are paid to make tough catches too. Just like QB are suppose to make good accurate throws.

Got me thinking since Ginn is a returner, maybe he's good with high floaters but not so good with medium to low zingers....

I think the problem right now is that the drops compared to the great catches is a horrifically one sided ratio. We see maybe one good catch a game, while witnessing a minimum of three to six dropped passes every game. The thing is, I just don't know how we fix such a consistent issue (the drops), aside from forcing them to practice more.. or upgrading pass-catching talent. Crabs has a drop every now and then, BUT they're pretty few and far between these days. Walker, VD and Ginn on the other hand are almost locks to drop one each game. Crabs has made more plays lately than any of these guys and it's no wonder he's become Smith's favorite target. He's one of the only people Alex can trust at the moment.

Nevermind the drops. I don't see the fight for the ball. Jump over your guy to get at it. Don't nonchalantly let it go because it ain't near you or the defender ended up in front of it so jump over their back to get at it.

The last one I've seen a GB receiver made.
I'd also like to add:

S Dashon Goldson - what were you thinking trying to go for the pick instead of going to the sure tackle? You're not a ball-hawking safety and don't kid yourself into thinking you can out-fight Fitz for the ball. When it's a jump-ball, Fitz wins 9/10 times. Play smart and get the tackle.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
My call out is to all the pass catching positions...WR, TE, RB...Catch the damn ball!

How many passes bounce of chests, helmets and hands a game. We have to lead the league in drops. This doesnt even mention the ones that are a little off target that all the quality recievers in the league go get anyway. No your not Megatron but damn man at least try and go after it you never know you might make your QB look good for a change.

There have been quite a few days when Alex made our recievers look bad, but can we truely say there has ever been a day when the recievers made him look good?
Excellent question.

^

Ironically I thought of one in the Cards game. It was Ginn making a fabulous catch for a 1st down conversion near the goal-line. It's one of the reason I don't hate Ginn as much despite of he drops.

haha yeah the WRs make nice catches on overthrows all the time. See Detroit and Crabtree. See Vernon Davis 2009.

Sometimes better throws would lead to less drops. Imagine if i threw 100 passes that were perfect spirals and on target. And now image i threw 100 passes that were slightly off target, wobbly, or not with the correct velocity.

Of the perfect 100 balls, more will be caught then the off target balls.

I think Smith needs to be more precise in his deep to middle range passing. Also, getting the ball out has not just been an issue this past game. It has been an issue all year but its been hidden due to Defense, ST and the running game. Defense and running game hit a lul and the QB is getting exposed. Its not like we were lighting it up with Alex before this past game. We squeeked by our victories with good ST, D and running the ball. Getting the ball out has always been Alex's problem. That combined with poor pocket awareness, which are two in the same, has led to an average season on a very good team.

This has been an issue with Alex since he's been in the league. It isn't a coincidence that most of his completions this year have been wide open due to excellent play design. I just don't think he has the throwing ability to make the instantaneous "looky what I found" or "Oh s**t" throws.
Originally posted by FacePalm:
I believe the correct term would be "dad gum". "Like a dad gum fairy...."

I like that he typed out got dang. Cracked me up but I was thinking the same thing about VD while reading it. And whats up with the way Davis has been carrying the ball lately. He fumbled last week and yet on that 32 yard catch and run he looked like Vick carrying the ball down the field. Our entire offense needs to be b***h slapped this week.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by FacePalm:
I believe the correct term would be "dad gum". "Like a dad gum fairy...."

I like that he typed out got dang. Cracked me up but I was thinking the same thing about VD while reading it. And whats up with the way Davis has been carrying the ball lately. He fumbled last week and yet on that 32 yard catch and run he looked like Vick carrying the ball down the field. Our entire offense needs to be b***h slapped this week.

He looks like he has a banana up his ass the way he stands straight up when he carries the ball.
Originally posted by boqi:

...And for fun:

Kendall Hunter - GROW! And why do you have a girl's first name?!? Who do you think you are Dana Stubblefield minus 400 lbs?!?

Andy Lee - You look white, you kick like a Mexican soccer player, but your last name is Chinese. WTF?!?!

lol, love the rant! Spot on IMO.
TE Davis - I'm sorry, I thought you one of the strongest players in the NFL? Apparently you think you're Barry Sanders or Dante Hall trying to juke out multiple defenders. While you dance around like a got dang fairy, players like Kyle Williams are BLOWING UP corners with stiff arms. You're practically twice as big and strong as him so how about knocking the ever-lovin' daylights out of a DB or throwing them aside like you did in college?

Dude, don't over do it. I'm still a Smith supporter Receivers are paid to make tough catches too. Just like QB are suppose to make good accurate throws.

Got me thinking since Ginn is a returner, maybe he's good with high floaters but not so good with medium to low zingers....

That's what common sense would lead you to believe about Ted Ginn. But Smith's long pass to Ginn was exactly that--a high wobbly floater that practically hit him right on the helmet. How can a punt/kick returner lose sight of a long high wobbly pass for an EASY TD??? I don't get this one at all

Originally posted by wrongway9erfan:
That's what common sense would lead you to believe about Ted Ginn. But Smith's long pass to Ginn was exactly that--a high wobbly floater that practically hit him right on the helmet. How can a punt/kick returner lose sight of a long high wobbly pass for an EASY TD??? I don't get this one at all

I don't know-sun maybe , someone with a laser pointer? Conspiracy I say!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WildBill:

I don't know-sun maybe , someone with a laser pointer? Conspiracy I say!

obviously, he thought it was a duck.

Yeah, Ginn was too busy shake'n bake to noticed the ball was already in the air to run underneath for it.
I think the problem right now is that the drops compared to the great catches is a horrifically one sided ratio. We see maybe one good catch a game, while witnessing a minimum of three to six dropped passes every game. The thing is, I just don't know how we fix such a consistent issue (the drops), aside from forcing them to practice more.. or upgrading pass-catching talent. Crabs has a drop every now and then, BUT they're pretty few and far between these days. Walker, VD and Ginn on the other hand are almost locks to drop one each game. Crabs has made more plays lately than any of these guys and it's no wonder he's become Smith's favorite target. He's one of the only people Alex can trust at the moment.

I think the drop argument has been overblown. the league average for drops is 22. We have 26. Not great but it is right about average...

Plus there are multiple players making the drops so each should be singled out. Crabtree is the highest is drops at 6 which is tied for 14th in the league with about 8 other guys. Then you have guys like Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Dwayne Bowe, Jermichael Finley, Desean Jackson, Dallas Clark, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith all have more drops the Crabs. Yes, some of these guys are targeted more, but most not significantly higher then Crabs, who is our clear #1.

Yeah the drops are there, but its not like 26 drops is an astronomical amount.

I know I know, you ahve to consider that somes teams pass more. Well, the team that passes most, Green Bay, WR drop the ball about 5% of the time. This is also the team which everyone claims has elite WRs all around...

Our WR drop the ball 7% of the times. Not that much higher then GB. If we throw 100 passes we drop 7. If they throw 100 passes they drop 5.

Now what about the other 93-95 passes? GB moves the ball while we dump it down, throw short, overthrow, or whatever.

And our WRs get ripped for drops? Its not like we are anywhere near last in the league in this category.

We have other problems on this team bigger then the drops.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM ]
I feel like a lot of guys have not been playing up to the levels that they're capable of lately. The following guys are players I feel need to be called out for good reason. The issues present with each of these players is hurting the team, and we need these things corrected if we expect to win in the playoffs. So without further ado, here we go.

QB Alex Smith - Alex, throw the ball quicker. Not faster -- quicker. Against Arizona you took too long between the time you decided to throw and the time your guy should be getting open. This issue was pretty nonexistent for most of the games prior to Sunday. Sunday there was a noticeable difference and I could tell everything was happening way too slow. Even the completed out routes looked slower than usual. We need plays like the bomb to VD against STL with two players in your face crushing you when you throw, or beating the blitz with a quick pass to K.W. -- Most of us understand that not every play will be able to beat what the defense's scheme is, but that internal clock needs work. (Coaches should try and help with this. Make him practice throwing within 4, 3, 2, and 1 seconds).

WR Braylon Edwards - For the love of God, show some effort. I know you're not happy with your role right now but at least TRY. What the EFF is wrong with you? It's like you either don't know what to do on the field or you just don't care. The only good thing I've seen you do lately is block. But your route running and field awareness are absolutely horrendous right now.

WR Ted Ginn - You are a receiver in the NFL. It should occur to your to get your got dang head around and look for the ball, especially when running deep in one-on-one coverage.

TE Delanie Walker - Your play has been disgraceful for the second half of the season. You miss blocks when you're brought in the backfield to pass protect, and I'm absolutely SICK of seeing you drop wide open passes either for TDs or first downs on plays where there is NO ONE within 5-10 yards of you. Get your head out of your freaking rear and help your team.

TE Davis - I'm sorry, I thought you one of the strongest players in the NFL? Apparently you think you're Barry Sanders or Dante Hall trying to juke out multiple defenders. While you dance around like a got dang fairy, players like Kyle Williams are BLOWING UP corners with stiff arms. You're practically twice as big and strong as him so how about knocking the ever-lovin' daylights out of a DB or throwing them aside like you did in college? Also, I understand you're being double and triple teamed, but the lack of effort at times is INEXCUSABLE. I saw exactly what you did on that deep pass Sunday. You said, "Welp. I'm triple covered. Not getting the ball." And rounded off your route instead of continuing to run and it fell incomplete. It may not have gotten there anyway, but YOUR effort in the play was disgusting.

C Goodwin - No wonder the Saints let you go. You're a smart player, but against any decent DL you need help constantly. You also barely get any push in the run game. Jay Ratliff blew you up last year, and he blew you up again this year. As soon as we find a more powerful center, you will likely be relegated to back-up / swing-guard duty.

I'll stop there.

I agree with you, except for the part about ASmith throwing it quicker -- this is from another thread I did.

44 called pass plays (2 negated by penalty, and 5 sacks = 37 throws -- I might be slightly off here)
26 (59%) of those plays had pressure (including sacks) affect the play
5 (11%) plays were truly clean pockets where the QB could hit his back foot, decide, and throw -- that is ridiculous!!
11 had pressure occurring in under 2 seconds
11 plays the throw was so quick, it was hard to tell if pressure would have had an affect
3 screens thrown -- 1 RB, 1 TE, and 1 WR bubble screen
2 planned roll outs 4 scrambles away from pressure, 2 escaped sacks.

Compare that to AZ
35 pass plays
17 (48%) had pressure occur to affect the play
13 (39%) had clean pockets where the QB had time to survey, decide, and throw
3 quick throws
5 screens (mainly at the end of the game)
7 times AZ threw the ball in under 2 seconds, mostly on quick throws and screens, only twice due to pressure at 1.5 seconds
Skelton avoided 2-3 "in the grasp" sacks by escaping up the middle of an open field

#1 It was clear re-watching the game that after the disasterous second series that had 3 sacks, the 49ers went to quick 1 read throws and shotgun, even some screens to try and adjust for the OL being so poor. And even then, AZ got pressure.
#2 On the deeper drops and deeper routes, which you have to run occassionally to keep the defense honest, there is pressure literally in Smith's face or draped on him on his releases occuring at 2.8 - 3.0 seconds.

If you go back and review EVERY deep throw by Smith this season, I challenge you to find a single one where he a.) is not getting hit as he throws or pressure right in his face, or b.) where he scrambled to buy time to make the deep throw.
Share 49ersWebzone