There are 239 users in the forums

Why are we so bad in the Red Zone??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why are we so bad in the Red Zone??

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Speaking of Tight Ends, could our TE's be too fast to the point where they run themselves into coverage? Gronk ran a 4.68 forty which is slightly faster than Joe Staley. These guys' most important attribute is to find the zone and sit after it clears out.

Does a super fast TE allow for things to get cleared out?

Maybe not, which is honestly why I feel like they are being misused there now. Vernon has scored a multitude of TDs on the drag route. Short drag over the middle, or a deeper one across the back of the end zone to the corner on a roll out would work well. Protection would have to hold for the latter, but seriously, this new quote by Walker does make things make a lot more sense now as far as some of the issues.

I mean frick, Vernon is the same size as Braylon only BIGGER at 250, and he runs the fade better than Edwards. The personnel use, Ginn, Walker and Braylon instead of Vernon, Williams, and Crabtree .. is just plain idiotic. And the wildcat with Hunter on third downs? WTFRICK? No wonder we aren't scoring more TDs.

We REALLY need to get Vernon running some slants more. That big of a body and he can kind of run cut it so he won't lose speed would be a nice target, especially in the red zone. If Defenses wanna double it, then you just run a double slant or a TE out underneath.

Vernon Davis leaps in to the air on slant routes, for no apparent f**kin reason

Perfect because Alex loves throwing them high and that would make for an almost impossible interception. Let's use the weaknesses in our favor.

Lol! Still don't know why he can't catch while moving on the ground. Maybe he thinks he's Barry Sanders and can do a drop step cut after he lands.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Speaking of Tight Ends, could our TE's be too fast to the point where they run themselves into coverage? Gronk ran a 4.68 forty which is slightly faster than Joe Staley. These guys' most important attribute is to find the zone and sit after it clears out.

Does a super fast TE allow for things to get cleared out?

Maybe not, which is honestly why I feel like they are being misused there now. Vernon has scored a multitude of TDs on the drag route. Short drag over the middle, or a deeper one across the back of the end zone to the corner on a roll out would work well. Protection would have to hold for the latter, but seriously, this new quote by Walker does make things make a lot more sense now as far as some of the issues.

I mean frick, Vernon is the same size as Braylon only BIGGER at 250, and he runs the fade better than Edwards. The personnel use, Ginn, Walker and Braylon instead of Vernon, Williams, and Crabtree .. is just plain idiotic. And the wildcat with Hunter on third downs? WTFRICK? No wonder we aren't scoring more TDs.

We REALLY need to get Vernon running some slants more. That big of a body and he can kind of run cut it so he won't lose speed would be a nice target, especially in the red zone. If Defenses wanna double it, then you just run a double slant or a TE out underneath.

Vernon Davis leaps in to the air on slant routes, for no apparent f**kin reason

Perfect because Alex loves throwing them high and that would make for an almost impossible interception. Let's use the weaknesses in our favor.

Lol! Still don't know why he can't catch while moving on the ground. Maybe he thinks he's Barry Sanders and can do a drop step cut after he lands.

i can think of 2 times where he jumped on the screen and it hit his knees causing an incopmpletition
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Or VD didn't give himself enough room to the outside at the beginning of the route. Receivers sometimes make that mistake, especially lazy route runners or inexperience one. DB will try to force him towards the sideline also for this reason.

i'm sure that happens, but i'm talking about where VD is as wide open as hes' gonna get early and smith holds onto the ball until the last second. Only thing I can think of is that he's looking down field for something else instead.

It could be Smith being too careful, checking for defenders. Remember that INT in the preseason where he got confident, threw an sideline out to a receiver but got INT by a leaping defender underneath ... Kinda like that... so now he's looking around before he throws. Maybe
" "
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:10 PM ]
One simple reason Alex Smith will not fit the ball in a tight window plain and simple if the receiver is not wide open we won't throw it he d rather not risk it and live to fight another series!!
Anybody have the stat on our penalty in the rz? Niners is actually in the top ten in offense penalty!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/totalPenaltyYards

I remember a few false starts/timeout to avoid delay of game in the RZ that kills momentum and/or move us back. For a team that's passing-challenged on offense, it's got to hurt. Also, I don't buy the coach is hiding the big play argument. Big plays only work if you practice them well and there's no better way to do that than in regular season. Plus, most coaches have seen most of the play in football, the only way to surprise them is the timing of calling those plays (e.g. the onside kick in Giants game).
Originally posted by Niner915:
One simple reason Alex Smith will not fit the ball in a tight window plain and simple if the receiver is not wide open we won't throw it he d rather not risk it and live to fight another series!!

i dont know why people keep saying this

ive seen him make numerout tight throws
Is Jeff Garcia open to a playoff contract ?

Don't get me wrong, I really love Smith's moxy and dedication to being a 9er, he's taken more crap than is humane, and with one of the worst teams from his first days any of us have ever seen. And you must be stupid if you can't realize that messed him up.

That said, he isn't as "quick" or "artistic" as a is necessary at this level.
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Is Jeff Garcia open to a playoff contract ?

Don't get me wrong, I really love Smith's moxy and dedication to being a 9er, he's taken more crap than is humane, and with one of the worst teams from his first days any of us have ever seen. And you must be stupid if you can't realize that messed him up.

That said, he isn't as "quick" or "artistic" as a is necessary at this level.

Are you serious? Last I heard he was signed as the Texans third stringer when Leinart went down.
Originally posted by niner88:
Anybody have the stat on our penalty in the rz? Niners is actually in the top ten in offense penalty!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/totalPenaltyYards

I remember a few false starts/timeout to avoid delay of game in the RZ that kills momentum and/or move us back. For a team that's passing-challenged on offense, it's got to hurt. Also, I don't buy the coach is hiding the big play argument. Big plays only work if you practice them well and there's no better way to do that than in regular season. Plus, most coaches have seen most of the play in football, the only way to surprise them is the timing of calling those plays (e.g. the onside kick in Giants game).

A lot of our negative yardage plays(penalties) seem to come on 2nd and 3rd down. Especially when the defense looks like it's going to blitz.

it comes down to play calling. We either run 3 straight run plays or we have our no hands team on the field being Edwards and Ginn where we decide to throw a fade route to Ginn.
Originally posted by backontop:
it comes down to play calling. We either run 3 straight run plays or we have our no hands team on the field being Edwards and Ginn where we decide to throw a fade route to Ginn.

Ok that.

So the coaches understand they are the only ones with a shot at separation unless its Ginn on a return.

Pathetic.

Clean house in the WR position and get some John Taylors !
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Originally posted by backontop:

Ok that.

So the coaches understand they are the only ones with a shot at separation unless its Ginn on a return.

Pathetic.

Clean house in the WR position and get some John Taylors !

You're in the redzone, you don't exactly need a speed guy. You need a guy that is going to catch the ball. Keep Crabtree and Williams on the field. They give us the best shot at actually coming down with the ball in the endzone.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Niner915:

i dont know why people keep saying this

ive seen him make numerout tight throws

People who don't like Alex Smith read other people's criticisms of him and repeat them as if they were their own opinions. One writer says he's a game manager and everyone starts calling him that. Or can't throw into tight windows.
VD, Williams, Crabby (...Miller?). Those are my targets (in that order) if I am attempting a slant/bootleg into the end zone. Get some practice in there with with Alex and you guys should see some improvement (even though I'd really like to see Braylon use his height to our advantage, so he needs to work with Alex to turn around faster to compensate for our less than stellar OLine).

Seriously, wasn't Alex one of the best (or at least decent) in the red zone last year?!?

If I were Harbaugh I would check to see how he did it the red zone last year and try to set things up for Alex that way to get 'er done and get us 7 instead of settling for 3 miserable points.

The offensive line still confounds most of us on here (I don't know if anyone said anything poignant in the past couple of pages or a OLine thread, haven't been on as much as I should be on here), but I hope Solari does something QUICK or we might just have to start looking for someone that can mold these men into an elite championship line.
Share 49ersWebzone