LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

What a difference a season makes: The QB Position suddenly looks bright.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Prior to the start of the regular season, we really only had Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick as our QBs. People weren't really expecting much from these two. Alex Smith was pretty much considered a bust and only a stop-gap solution at QB. Colin Kaepernick was considered an immensely talented athlete, but would need another 2 years for him to be NFL-ready.

Then we signed Scott Tolzien, who looked pretty good in the game we had against the Chargers... but still... he's another rookie.

Now... 14 weeks into the season, things suddenly look very bright. People are already speculating on re-signing Alex Smith. He's had a very good season, and the thought of a full off-season with Harbaugh/Roman has got to make 49er fans feel very good about next season. Colin Kaepernick looked good in the Buccaneers game and is continuing to develop. He's been able to get some reps in this season, so I'm sure that's helping. Haven't heard anything from Tolzien, but I imagine he's progressing along as well.

It's just a huge contrast from the beginning of the season, when we thought we were in real trouble at this position. Sure, there's still a lot of big questions to answer. Like... "can Alex Smith succeed in the playoffs?" or "How quickly can Kaepernick develop?" etc. etc. But for the first time in awhile... I don't really worry about who we have at QB. (It's the offensive line I worry about now)
And people were willing to trade Patrick Willis for Andrew Luck.

Nice to have a very good quarterback situation now and moving forward.
so nice to have a real coaching staff
  • Huego
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:

I'd still do that
Originally posted by Huego:
I'd still do that

Why? One of the best (if not the best) in his position for a unproven player?
Originally posted by Sinsation:
so nice to have a real coaching staff

I'd still do that

This.
There is no way they get rid of Alex Smith. He's even starting to hit those nice rainbows. If Davis catches that one in the end zone last Sunday, Alex Smith ends up with 335 yards, 3 TD's and no interceptions. What more do you want in a QB. It's the only thing that has been missing from his game and he's just starting to dial it in. Prediction: by the end of this season, no sane person will be even entertaining the idea of trading away Alex Smith to get Andrew Luck. Norv Turner said it years ago: Alex Smith can make every throw. He's like a faster, quicker Troy Aikman. He may not look tough, but think about it - he's tough as nails. He absorbs 9 sacks in a game and never so much as glares at his O-linemen. He never yells at a receiver. He never complains. He just keeps on coming. He's smart and careful. He takes care of the ball. He moves around and scrambles for first downs. He's getting a lot more accurate. He's always thrown a beautiful looking long pass and now he's beginning to tune that part of his game with this playbook. He now has the continuity and the coaching he's always needed. I'm pretty sure the Niners brass didn't expect this level of growth in Smith working with Harbaugh, but now that they've got it, there is no way they let him go.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I'd still do that

This.

Future HoFer for untried and untested rook who is not apparently as well thought of now as he was at the start of the season?

No.

That was some crazy guy at the tailgates.
We need a WR and a better pass catching fluid TEd like a Witten or Graham. Vernon should lower his should
er more if not. 9ers!
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Prior to the start of the regular season, we really only had Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick as our QBs. People weren't really expecting much from these two. Alex Smith was pretty much considered a bust and only a stop-gap solution at QB. Colin Kaepernick was considered an immensely talented athlete, but would need another 2 years for him to be NFL-ready.

Then we signed Scott Tolzien, who looked pretty good in the game we had against the Chargers... but still... he's another rookie.

Now... 14 weeks into the season, things suddenly look very bright. People are already speculating on re-signing Alex Smith. He's had a very good season, and the thought of a full off-season with Harbaugh/Roman has got to make 49er fans feel very good about next season. Colin Kaepernick looked good in the Buccaneers game and is continuing to develop. He's been able to get some reps in this season, so I'm sure that's helping. Haven't heard anything from Tolzien, but I imagine he's progressing along as well.

It's just a huge contrast from the beginning of the season, when we thought we were in real trouble at this position. Sure, there's still a lot of big questions to answer. Like... "can Alex Smith succeed in the playoffs?" or "How quickly can Kaepernick develop?" etc. etc. But for the first time in awhile... I don't really worry about who we have at QB. (It's the offensive line I worry about now)

Think of it this way, if Alex has a great game, so will the O-line, if the O-line is having a great game, so will Alex.

I think it's obvious our play-calling is pretty damn good and creative, so there should be no question, when the O-line is giving Alex time he's gonna succeed.
That's the main change I look at this season, the play-calling, just think about the plays...

ehm.. ehm

PLAY* we ran last year, the classic hb gut up the middle and what we have now. This team could be undefeated and compete with the best (GB) no doubt in my mind.

It's ALL about team chemistry(which JB has strengthened) and EXECUTION (which our team as a whole has improved on)
The 9er QB situation is average at best.
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
The 9er QB situation is average at best.

top 10 is average at best?
Share 49ersWebzone