LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

What a difference a season makes: The QB Position suddenly looks bright.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Luck is so overrated to me, if he's so NFL ready and there's other College QBs putting up way better numbers(QB rating, TDs, INTs & Yards) than he is, what does that make them???

Standford runs a pro style offence. Others run a type of the college spread, the read option. Offences that are there to inflate numbers.
Numbers do not tell everything.

back on topic, it's not just the QB position, the wholw offence looks more in sync, playcalling and execution are greatley improved, much more creative, now it shows how much damage Singletary's stubborness made last year.
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Dec 8, 2011 at 6:06 AM ]
The QB positon as a whole could be better. Two rookies for back ups is a scary proposiiton. It will be a nonissue if Smith stays healthy but the same can be said for most teams in the NFL. Very few teams have a legitimate backup...ask Chicago fans. Almost every other position on this team has some legitimate depth. CB-Spencer, LB-Grant, RG-OK...maybe not all! Though I would like to know why Kilgore has not been given a chance when Snyder is out.
Just think , we'll go into next season with the 3 same QB's who will know the system and be able to execute the entire playbook , no more playing catch up for our QB's, they can hit the ground running and speed up the process of perfecting the playbook....things are looking up
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Just think , we'll go into next season with the 3 same QB's who will know the system and be able to execute the entire playbook , no more playing catch up for our QB's, they can hit the ground running and speed up the process of perfecting the playbook....things are looking up

Good point!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Good point!

Which is why I expect our passing attack to be much more effective next season, all we gotta do is add a couple more playmakers
Frankly, we can be more effective next season with the exact same people we have now by simply improving timing, rhythm, and chemistry.

The offensive production can improve by 20% or more simply by executing more plays with the existing playmakers.
The QB situation is in great shape. Alex is playing good for this year and we can only assume that he will get better. 2nd year under a system and he should at least play just as well and more than likely he will get even more efficient and comfortable enough to take even greater risks. Kaep and Tolzien have also been learning for a year which is also what we wanted. Either way, we should mess with it. Why would you want to change a winning formula. If Alex isn't executing next year ten you bench him for Kaep or Tolzien. If he is excecuting, why would we not want to repeat what we are doing this year. We might not be 10-2, but if we are playing the same way, than we will have a winning record for sure and easily take this division again.
Originally posted by Next9erDynasty:
Frankly, we can be more effective next season with the exact same people we have now by simply improving timing, rhythm, and chemistry.

The offensive production can improve by 20% or more simply by executing more plays with the existing playmakers.

This.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Luck is so overrated to me, if he's so NFL ready and there's other College QBs putting up way better numbers(QB rating, TDs, INTs & Yards) than he is, what does that make them???

Standford runs a pro style offence. Others run a type of the college spread, the read option. Offences that are there to inflate numbers.
Numbers do not tell everything.

back on topic, it's not just the QB position, the wholw offence looks more in sync, playcalling and execution are greatley improved, much more creative, now it shows how much damage Singletary's stubborness made last year.

haha. dammit. I told this same thing to somebody else and then turned around asked the same question, i feel dumb now. Thanks for reminding me.
Matt Maiocco says that Scott Tolzien takes ZERO snaps in the niner offense. I noticed that he doesnt even suit up on gamedays..or at least he wasnt on Sunday. Tolzien one the rookie vs rookie battle when we played San Diego in preseason and Baalke and JH said they that he was one of the guys they wanted to pick up. I like both Kap anmd Tolzien, I think we should sign a Vet to the practice squad just for a little safety net..then again, Harbaugh was an NFL QB at one point in time and he takes that hands-on approach with his team so thats kinda like being a Coach/Vet at the same time, right? Im too juiced to see how they look, hopefully we run up the score in the first three quarters soo Kap gets some playing time

Originally posted by GNielsen:
There is no way they get rid of Alex Smith. He's even starting to hit those nice rainbows. If Davis catches that one in the end zone last Sunday, Alex Smith ends up with 335 yards, 3 TD's and no interceptions. What more do you want in a QB. It's the only thing that has been missing from his game and he's just starting to dial it in. Prediction: by the end of this season, no sane person will be even entertaining the idea of trading away Alex Smith to get Andrew Luck. Norv Turner said it years ago: Alex Smith can make every throw. He's like a faster, quicker Troy Aikman. He may not look tough, but think about it - he's tough as nails. He absorbs 9 sacks in a game and never so much as glares at his O-linemen. He never yells at a receiver. He never complains. He just keeps on coming. He's smart and careful. He takes care of the ball. He moves around and scrambles for first downs. He's getting a lot more accurate. He's always thrown a beautiful looking long pass and now he's beginning to tune that part of his game with this playbook. He now has the continuity and the coaching he's always needed. I'm pretty sure the Niners brass didn't expect this level of growth in Smith working with Harbaugh, but now that they've got it, there is no way they let him go.

Alex is like Jason of Friday the 13th-Can't kill it no what matter how bad, he keeps coming back to haunt you for better or worse-haha.

As for what Turner said, coaches are gonna be like politicians, they gotta work with you and no sane or person is gonna burn bridges with the exception of Nolan and Singletary. You try to build a player up then if he doesn't work out you shake his hand and say sorry it didn't work out.
  • dj43
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by ninerfan29:
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
The 9er QB situation is average at best.

End your name.

Our QB situation is solid and top 10 material if not top 5.

Again I really hate your name and it holds no place in this type of forum. IMO.

I was thinking the same thing... lol. I read his name and it just pissed me off. and to top it off I very much disagree with his post.

that's it mods we all agree, just ban this guy.

Come on guys, you know better than this.

He had the right to choose his username, and as it isn't offensive, you have to lump it.

I have no idea why the previous poster considers it has no place in this type of forum. Last time I checked this was a football and other sports forum. It isn't limited to US citizens and politically it has no stance. It therefore has as much of a place here as anyone else's.

I assume you are joking about the banning.

my sarcasm detector was going off... I'm not for banning the guy... I was just in agreement that I didnt like the username and his post.

His username and that specific post were equally deficient. But then I might be better as dj21 instead of 43. Who knows.
  • dj43
Matt Maiocco says that Scott Tolzien takes ZERO snaps in the niner offense. I noticed that he doesnt even suit up on gamedays..or at least he wasnt on Sunday. Tolzien one the rookie vs rookie battle when we played San Diego in preseason and Baalke and JH said they that he was one of the guys they wanted to pick up. I like both Kap anmd Tolzien, I think we should sign a Vet to the practice squad just for a little safety net..then again, Harbaugh was an NFL QB at one point in time and he takes that hands-on approach with his team so thats kinda like being a Coach/Vet at the same time, right? Im too juiced to see how they look, hopefully we run up the score in the first three quarters soo Kap gets some playing time

He does get snaps with the scout team.
Originally posted by dj43:

Not in the niner offense. "takes ZERO snaps in the niner offense"
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:

Not in the niner offense. "takes ZERO snaps in the niner offense"
He does, however, have the Niner playbook, does he not? And presumably sits in the Niner QB meetings?

And he goes to practice, goes thru QB drills, and gets to participate in live action with the scout team.
Share 49ersWebzone