LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Make no mistake about it, Fangio was thoroughly out-coached

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The game was lost because the O'line didn't pass protect. You don't win with 9 sacks. Fangio kept it close. I have no complaints with the D.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
How could we not complain. When your down and need points you look for ways to change it up. Yeah we slowed them down, but geez we needed points. We needed turnovers. Let's get a little more aggressive, we started the season that way?? Where has our pressure gone?
Our offense didn't score a touchdown. Our defense played stout against the run as usual and contained the pass only allowing one TD pass. Kind of hard to play defense when your offense can't score more than 6 points.
6 offensive points won't win you a lot of games. Holding opponents to 16 should win you games
It was more of him being outcoached in the sense that Flacco had all day to throw the ball, we played very VERY good on that side of the ball barring a PI penalty and missed tackle by Whitner, but yes the constant 3-4 man lines resulted in Flacco having ALL DAY to throw, we had zero sacks, seriously probably like 3 pressures all game and that's being nice.
Most of my complaint comes down to OL failures. That said, our D did play rather soft and conservative.... allowing critical 3rd downs to be converted.

Have to know that pressuring Flacco into mistakes is the way to go... but we didn't. We just played off and let Flacco get comfy back there. So it was an odd strategy from Fangio, and one that I don't approve of.

... but we lost this game mostly because our OL failed in every way possible.
There is one main difference between 49ers offense and Ravens offense - Flacco to T.Smith (and Bolden). With that real threat of the deep ball, Fangio played it smart and didn't get creative. And he held them to 16 points. I think Fangio's plan was fine. IF there Oline was playing like ours, then Fangio could have turned up the heat also!!
d wasnt the problem but what pisses me off is how they kept letting them covert 3rd after 3rd down and whitner couldnt f**king cover their te
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Most of my complaint comes down to OL failures. That said, our D did play rather soft and conservative.... allowing critical 3rd downs to be converted.

Have to know that pressuring Flacco into mistakes is the way to go... but we didn't. We just played off and let Flacco get comfy back there. So it was an odd strategy from Fangio, and one that I don't approve of.

... but we lost this game mostly because our OL failed in every way possible.

My thoughts as well, just better conveyed by you sir.

We just needed to push the issue more and make Flacco uncomfortable.
Originally posted by Thrash88:
It was more of him being outcoached in the sense that Flacco had all day to throw the ball, we played very VERY good on that side of the ball barring a PI penalty and missed tackle by Whitner, but yes the constant 3-4 man lines resulted in Flacco having ALL DAY to throw, we had zero sacks, seriously probably like 3 pressures all game and that's being nice.

Considering that Flaco threw for 161 yds only and having all day our coverage was not that bad. it was a FG game until that BS PI call.

Point blank the chop block was bull, this would of been a completely different game had they not called back our TD to ginn. everyone on post game described the rule for the "chop block", and that was not one.m If your engaged high and a team mate comes and chops him low, that's a chop block. Its b******t what the refs did their. But it was still up to us to make plays and the O-Line (Chilo i'm looking at you) BLEW IT
Fangio's game plan: F
DBackfield execution F
Letting Ravens have everything between 5-12 yds with NO pressure on Flacco is a Raven win, guaranteed , every time.

What really amazes me, is how Coach H got so badly outcoached. When it became obvious that we couldn't protect alex, he should have immediately gone to 1 steppers, or "snap it and sling it" . He didn't

On D, Coach obviously signed off on loose coverage, but when you are getting beat like a drum, he should have changed D coverage, and blitzed "with intent to kill" type blitzes. He didn't . This game was a coaching loss, pure and simple. Horrible game plan going in, horrible to worse "corrections" at end of half. We actually had the Ravens on their heels at end of first half in two minute offense, so they couldn't substitute their D packages. Why didn't coach come out with the 2 minute drill for 2nd half of game, and just keep it there. Ravens has no answer for that. Why Coach didn't change strategy, is a hard to guess. The one person hurt worst by the short week was...
yup, Coach H. Good news is , now he has plenty to work on both D and O, and we can definitely improve both, prior to playoffs. I had been worried about having the road to SB going thru GB. With good reason, it now turns out. Our OL was NOT ready for intricate pickups on DL passrush. The two guys over Snyder and AD cross rushed all nite long and beat our rt side of OL bad. On the left, Ngati beat up on Iupati and Suggs or DE whipped Staley to outside all nite. That is coaching technique, non recognition of who to block, and in some cases they just beat us head to head.

On balance, we got beaten badly in coaching, a surprise. Now we know what some of us had feared. OL, as much as it has improved, needs to learn to pick up DL blitzes and rushing patterns. Coach needs to recognize if they are wiping out our OL we need to throw quick short routes. This game was a good one to show our decificiencies, and how to improve. Fangio needs to review loose coverage with no QB pressure. It is a guaranteed loser against a team like Baltimore.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Fangio didn't get thoroughly out coached this thread is the suxorz like the Oline play..as stated before if you hold the opponent to 16 points that's a recipie for winning..was wondering when the real NINER TALK nonsense thread would show up
he wasn't creating pressure last night, if you give any QB time to throw they will exploit you

why we aren't playing Aldon more I don't understand
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Ravens dont lose at home very often, and we're a young team that has traveled to that eastern time zone plenty this year. Tough game on a short week, first time playing under the lights etc all might be seen as just excuses, but the ravens were focused and ready. They knew this was a huge game, Ray Rice said we were the best team they've played all season. This was a 6-6 game going into the 4th quarter. That chop block call was a big play, as was Donte Whitner's missed third down tackle that led to the only touchdown of the game.

I think this post really sums up the game well. Despite the short week, long travel day, jetlag, hostile crowd, "poor" coaching (as some of you have suggested), a few questionable calls (which a road team playing on national TV is always going to have to overcome), and poor play by the O line, the game was tied going into the fourth quarter. If the two plays highlighted above went differently, the Niners probably win that game.

In other words, it was an extremely competitive game and it came down to 2 plays. That is it.

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone