There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who on the current team will not be on the 2012 49ers?

Swain
Norris
Rachal ......
Tolzien
Ginn
Edwards
Goldson
Spencer
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think there will be some surprises. If Alex finishes the season as a top 5-10 QB, then he will want $$. Goldson will want $$ and so will Rogers. One of these guys, maybe two of them since we have Spencer, Culliver, and Brown will no longer be on our team.

Personally, seeing how our team was with Reggie Smith at FS, I would rather take Goldson over Rogers.

No way Joe, if Goldson wants bigtime money he seriously needs to work on his coverage skills and not giving up on plays that he can make a difference on.

He hasn't really been burned this year.

Goldson is a MONSTER out there, and hits VERY hard. We need players like him out there to scare the daylights out of the oppostion.

Safeties like Goldson are much easier to come by than a good cover corner. We should try to keep him, but until he makes a pro-bowl he shouldn't be paid much more than average starter money... maybe $2 mil / season + incentives.
Originally posted by blm7754:
B. Edwards will probably not be back. The team will extend J. Morgan (cause he is just as good and cheaper) and will probably add a WR in the draft (I'd say round 2).

S. Spencer will probably get cut or traded. He is too expensive to keep.

P. Haralson is another guy that could get the boot. Not that he hasn't played well. But with Aldon Smith and A. Brooks playing so well, I think Haralson is the odd man out. He gets paid too much to be the 3rd OLB.

A. Smith will be resigned. It remains to be seen how good Alex can really be. In any case though, it is VERY unlikely that we can get a better QB for 2012. I want any QB we draft to EARN the starting spot. They must prove that they are better than Alex. Until that time, we should keep Alex Smith as our QB.

The entire secondary will likely get shuffled (except for D. Whitner). Rogers will most likely be resigned with a big contract. That means Goldson could be on the fence since he will probably want a big contract too. If the coaches are happy with Culliver as the other CB, they may draft Goldson's replacement. If they aren't happy with Culliver, then a CB will get drafted and Goldson may be safe. Personally I would like to see Rogers and Goldson extended and a CB drafted in round 1. Downside to that is that would make for a very expensive secondary.

I'm sorry, but that (bolded part above) almost made me lose my lunch. Edwards has his issues, but he is much better than Morgan.

Come on man!
[ Edited by tulliman on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM ]
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think there will be some surprises. If Alex finishes the season as a top 5-10 QB, then he will want $$. Goldson will want $$ and so will Rogers. One of these guys, maybe two of them since we have Spencer, Culliver, and Brown will no longer be on our team.

Personally, seeing how our team was with Reggie Smith at FS, I would rather take Goldson over Rogers.

No way Joe, if Goldson wants bigtime money he seriously needs to work on his coverage skills and not giving up on plays that he can make a difference on.

He hasn't really been burned this year.

Goldson is a MONSTER out there, and hits VERY hard. We need players like him out there to scare the daylights out of the oppostion.

Safeties like Goldson are much easier to come by than a good cover corner. We should try to keep him, but until he makes a pro-bowl he shouldn't be paid much more than average starter money... maybe $2 mil / season + incentives.

I don't know, the great safeties can make a lot of CB look good. Not saying Goldson is great but we acquired 2 starting Safeties from other teams and it also looked as if one of ours was going to be better, but Goldson came in late in camp with less time and has outplayed them all.

I would also like to note that last year, he had a lot of injuries that kept him from playing full speed.
In terms of our secondary, you will see Goldson resigned for sure to be paired with Whitner.

Everyone seems to think that Spencer will be gone but if he can be retained for a cheap price, he will be starting at CB. He is still our 2nd best cover corner after Carlos Rogers.

So what does that mean? If Carlos Rogers is asking for a ton of $, he will be gone but I think he is willing to stay for a discount b/c he loves the Bay Area. And the player you will see gone is Tarrell Brown, who has not played that well this year but somehow continues to start.

As for wideout, Ginn stays as a special teams player only for cheap, otherwise he is gone.
Braylon stays for relatively cheap if he willing to do so.

UNLESS WE FIND A BETTER PLAYER VIA FA/DRAFT, most of the folks mentioned are not leaving. Why people think players need to go, will go, is beyond me. We don't need Norris for sure, but even Rachal is a solid backup o-lineman. Unless he is replaced by a better rookie, he's going to stay as well.
Originally posted by ritchie:
Alex Smith. He'll sign a 6 year, $90 million contract with Green Bay to be Aaron Rodgers' backup.

Hahahaha!!!!
Originally posted by tulliman:
Originally posted by blm7754:
B. Edwards will probably not be back. The team will extend J. Morgan (cause he is just as good and cheaper) and will probably add a WR in the draft (I'd say round 2).

S. Spencer will probably get cut or traded. He is too expensive to keep.

P. Haralson is another guy that could get the boot. Not that he hasn't played well. But with Aldon Smith and A. Brooks playing so well, I think Haralson is the odd man out. He gets paid too much to be the 3rd OLB.

A. Smith will be resigned. It remains to be seen how good Alex can really be. In any case though, it is VERY unlikely that we can get a better QB for 2012. I want any QB we draft to EARN the starting spot. They must prove that they are better than Alex. Until that time, we should keep Alex Smith as our QB.

The entire secondary will likely get shuffled (except for D. Whitner). Rogers will most likely be resigned with a big contract. That means Goldson could be on the fence since he will probably want a big contract too. If the coaches are happy with Culliver as the other CB, they may draft Goldson's replacement. If they aren't happy with Culliver, then a CB will get drafted and Goldson may be safe. Personally I would like to see Rogers and Goldson extended and a CB drafted in round 1. Downside to that is that would make for a very expensive secondary.

I'm sorry, but that (bolded part above) almost made me lose my lunch. Edwards has his issues, but he is much better than Morgan.

Come on man!

That's the truth!
i say ginn and edwards will be gone for sure. both players get replaced with wr/kr jackson from the eagles.
Originally posted by superniner:
i say ginn and edwards will be gone for sure. both players get replaced with wr/kr jackson from the eagles.

You read my mind... i would love it but it's not gonna happen............... and i'm not knocking alex smith but i don't think he has the arm for a guy like D Jackson.
Originally posted by gtowns:
Our offense and defensive coordinators will be gone. They will be head coaches of the Dolphins and Colts. (I hope I'm wrong)

Roman may want an opp to be Captain, but I think Fangio has no interest, just show him the money
spencer
norris
harralson
rachael
edwards
ginn
williams
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think there will be some surprises. If Alex finishes the season as a top 5-10 QB, then he will want $$. Goldson will want $$ and so will Rogers. One of these guys, maybe two of them since we have Spencer, Culliver, and Brown will no longer be on our team.

Personally, seeing how our team was with Reggie Smith at FS, I would rather take Goldson over Rogers.

More likely Spencer gets cut and we free up the money from his deal to secure Goldson and Rogers. Goldson will more than likely not be super expensive. It sounds like Rogers wants a lot of money, but there is plenty of film where he gives up plays (he is older and not super fast) - I think we'll be able to get a discount, especially if we go far in the playoffs.

Anyway my list -

Definite goners

Chilo Rachal - I don't see why he'd be back. He has looked better in recent weeks in spot duty and could be a serviceable backup possibly, but I'm not sure that's really what he wants and I am sure he'll never be starting for us ever again unless forced into action so probably the team will cut ties and look to the draft once again.

Moran Norris - Miller is superior and Norris doesn't do anything well but block. We'll draft a replacement if we feel it's necessary to carry a backup FB.

Spencer - For what he's done his contract doesn't fit. I like the idea of him still being with the team, but Goldson and/or Rogers is going to get his money and more. Maybe he'll turn it around as he gets healthy late in the year and the team will rethink what to do with him in the off season. He's a goner for sure as of now though.

Brett Swain - he is young and you never know, but I think the team looks to the draft for receiving talent and probably finds something more interesting.

Braylon Edwards - hasn't done a lot. The knee is a concern for me if I'm the GM. I don't like Meniscus issues - they are often lingering long term issues. It depends on the severity, but it's never a good thing to have to get a piece of your meniscus sliced off. He hasn't done much for us while he's been here as a result. He has plenty of time to change the teams mind but I think they will look elsewhere to upgrade the position in the off season as things stand right now because of the health and production so far.

Might be gone next year:

Ahmad Brooks - he's playing well, no question, but he might command huge dollars. He's not worth huge dollars. Often sells out to go after the QB, isn't exactly a supreme passrushing terror although he's good, he isn't consistent. He's no Aldon Smith. The team has a lot of FA and only so much money to spend so it will be interesting to see where they spend it. Quite possible we are drafting another young guy though. Brooks tends to commit encroachment and offsides penalties quite a bit more often than you would like as well. It's unlikely the team will cut Parys as his contract isn't very big and he's a solid player (if not a particularly good passrusher).

Delanie Walker - at this point it's hard to imagine the team letting him walk, but I'm putting him in this category because I think it's possible some team will watch the film on him this year and salivate trying to copy some of the things we do with our multiple TE sets and the running game. Really good blocker. Dangerous receiver who can run all the routes. Excellent special teams player. If he finishes the year strong and ends up with 800+ yards receiving (possible for sure IMO) and a bunch of TDs and then plays well in the post season he could get pretty damn expensive to sign. We have a lot of money tied up in Vernon. It's hard to say how it will play out exactly, and I think of the guys I have listed here he's the most likely to return.

Carlos Rogers - I think both sides want to find a workable deal. I think the team will cut Spencer to free up some money for him, but I don't think they want to break the bank. He's having a great year, but he gives up plays and I have a feeling he won't be able to maintain his level of play (which has been good-great but not outstanding). The sides might be far apart. I feel pretty sure that Goldson is coming back to us so I won't be listing him.

I forget who all of our FA's are, but this covers a few. It's conceivable that this could all change pretty quickly (obviously), but so far this is how I feel about our potential FAs and roster next season. I expect us to lean more heavily on the draft than maybe some fans would like to see, but the team wants to be competitive long term it's what has to be done. You pretty much just have to keep hitting in the draft. Baalke's past draft was a big time success, you don't need to have as many hits as he appeared to have in that one to maintain a successful franchise once the key pieces are in place (QB in particular) though.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM ]
Originally posted by tulliman:
I'm sorry, but that (bolded part above) almost made me lose my lunch. Edwards has his issues, but he is much better than Morgan.

Come on man!

I strongly disagree. Morgan looked like he was in for a big year until he got hurt. Morgan has always had the physical tools (4.46 40, size, suddeness and the ability to go up and get the ball) and now the team was finally putting him in situations that were well suited to his skill set. His top end isn't the best, but he has nice burst off the line and out of his cuts and good power which is why he was so dangerous RAC. His hands are solid too, better than Edwards certainly. Edwards has been a league leader in drops since he's entered the league. His hands are in fact why I don't like him all that much. I don't want to judge his speed or anything currently, but it's decent when healthy, but no better than Morgan's. He's just a bit taller and longer. I'd rather have Morgan.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,245
Position by position....

QB: Tolzien - we'll draft a better prospect to compete against Kaepernick.

FB: Norris - Miller is amazing and with how frequently we use Delanie or any of the lineman as blockers it is completely pointless to carry to fullbacks

WR: I'm so tempted to say Ginn but other then his completely inept, almost norris like screwup at the goal line he is finally excelling when they target him and he is directly responsible for 2 of our wins, seattle and Detroit, so their is just no way they let him go unless he gets greedy. Edwards is saying all the right things so we could resign him but unless we ink all of our WRs by the draft it's almost a given that we'll be taking a WR by round 3. I really hope we keep every WR on our roster.

TE: Peele - unless Byham just nose dives and can't get it done, hell maybe both Byham and Peele will be gone if we put Konrad on the active roster next year.

OL: Rachal - could land big money from someone willing to over pay him and we've got enough depth to replace him and could afford drafting a guard in the early rounds.

LB: Brooks - could get a big money deal on the open market so unless Harbaugh is going to slide Aldon over to take his place and keep Haralson on the opposite side it would be wise to consider locking him up now (or franchising him) before free agency starts.

CB: Spencer hasn't seen the field since the Detroit game and has barely contributed when active. Brown should be gone as well, he's played horrible and we've got Culliver emerging as a definite #3 maybe even a legit #2 corner and Brock could handle #3 duties. Bottom line, Spencer will get cut just like Clements if he doesn't restructure his deal and Brown is at an acceptable salary to maybe have a shot to be back next year.

S: Reggie smith could be gone if we resign goldson, i bet someone would give him a shot. Goldson will get franchised or a new deal.
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM ]
1. Moran Norris
2. Shawntae Spencer
3. Brett Swain
4. Braylon Edwards
5. Dashon Goldson
6. Madeu Williams
7. Chilo Rachal
8. Reggie Smith
9. Justin Peele

I'm not s**tting, we're gonna have a 1981 Bill Walsh style draft, we'll be drafting nothing but DBs!!! -But I also see a high likeliness of a WR being taken in rounds 1-2 (unless Baalke goes mega balls and goes after DeSean Jackson).