LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

I would have to say WR
We don't have a big play, position receiver.
SD: Vincent Jackson
GB: Greg Gennings
MIA: BRANDON MARSHALL: Yes even a 1-7 team has a legit WR
HOU: Andre Johnson
PHI: Desean Jackson
NO: The whole WR corps
BAL: Anquan Boldin
IND: Reggie Wayne
Atl: Rody White & Julio Jones
KC: Dwayne Bowe
And many others
We don't have any of those, I'm not even sure if we've had a 100 yard WR in a game this season.
[ Edited by montereyjack415 on Nov 7, 2011 at 6:57 PM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Had nightmares when imagining Staley trying to block James Harrison...

Wouldn't mind seeing Alex Boone on the field ALL game long as an extra OL spy for wherever Harrison lines up.

More and more please...yeah, can we keep four TE's in along with Sopoaga, Gore and Miller? LOL
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Alex Smith is the "Wes Welker" of quarterbacks, a good, efficient player who does all the right things when fit into the right system.

Uh...I like Alex Smith a lot, but the Wes Welker of quarterbacks would basically be on pace to beat Dan Marino's passing yardage record given that Wes Welker was (or is) on pace to beat Jerry Rice's single season yards record.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by ady2glude707:
I voted for QB and I've also been a supporter of Alex in down years, putting blame on play calling, different OCs and avg WRs. Reason has already been mentioned that he is just an avg QB that is being coached to make smart simple plays. We've already seen how he plays when he is asked to do too much and make things happen. Look at what Brady has to work with and his less than elite WRs, look at what Rodgers does with his less than speedy WRs.

Who are the elite WRs in the case of Smith? V. Davis is fast, but his hands aren't as reliable as the elite WRs. Crabtree may be good, but still far from being one. Edwards will be an asset, but he has hardly played until last week.

The Packers WRs have very good hands, and it helps that Rodgers has played in that system for years.

When I defended Alex in during down years, not having weapons was part of the problem This is the best group of offensive weapons Smith has had and the passing game is still one of the leagues worst (regarding yardage, attempts, etc). I think our weapons are just as good or even better than GBs, NOs, SDs and NEs, but with Harbaugh keeping it simple with Smith, it limits our offense and is holding the team back. Also drops (V.Davis) dont come in bunches so its not like it drastically brings Smiths inability down. Imagine if we had a elite QB, this team would be a monster, comparable to the teams of the 80s and 90s.
i think the options could've been more specific. i would have to go with our deep passing game.
Originally posted by YungAce:
i think the options could've been more specific. i would have to go with our deep passing game.

I didn't want to water down the poll with too many options. This was more of a player or unit "issue" thread. Will make another at the end of the year and see where the numbers are at and use that for draft predictions.
qb wr connection
I agree with those who voted CB and WR to a point, but we should'nt forget QB. I know we are winning and Alex is not making many mistakes as well as a good play here and there, however I feel that we are winning in spite of Alex. Winning this way may give us winning seasons and playoff seasons, but will ultimately lead to us falling short against teams like the Packers, Saints, and Patriots more often than not. I feel that our focus should be in working toward a Super Bowl. To do that we need a QB who can get the ball to the Wr's outside of the numbers. This is one thing that continues to be a limitation of Alex despite of the improvements that he has made. Can this be something he develops? I am not sure, maybe. Either way I don't know if we can count on this happening. I'm not sure that it is a good idea give Alex an overly long contract extention either. Maybe give him a mid range contract and hope CK comes around. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying this season and hope we take it as long as we can, but I want us to evolve to a state where we can compete with the top 3-5 teams for Super Bowls.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
MLB
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I agree with those who voted CB and WR to a point, but we should'nt forget QB. I know we are winning and Alex is not making many mistakes as well as a good play here and there, however I feel that we are winning in spite of Alex. Winning this way may give us winning seasons and playoff seasons, but will ultimately lead to us falling short against teams like the Packers, Saints, and Patriots more often than not. I feel that our focus should be in working toward a Super Bowl. To do that we need a QB who can get the ball to the Wr's outside of the numbers. This is one thing that continues to be a limitation of Alex despite of the improvements that he has made. Can this be something he develops? I am not sure, maybe. Either way I don't know if we can count on this happening. I'm not sure that it is a good idea give Alex an overly long contract extention either. Maybe give him a mid range contract and hope CK comes around. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying this season and hope we take it as long as we can, but I want us to evolve to a state where we can compete with the top 3-5 teams for Super Bowls.
Don't misunderstand, I don't hate Alex. I love what he's doing, but the passing game is not where it needs to be. I want to feel like our QB can hang with Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, E. Manning ect. Right now, I just don't know if Alex has that in him.

Originally posted by Chief:
MLB

Don't misunderstand, I don't hate Alex. I love what he's doing, but the passing game is not where it needs to be. I want to feel like our QB can hang with Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, E. Manning ect. Right now, I just don't know if Alex has that in him.

People calling for a better qb, do you guys realize we haven't had our top 3 wrs healthy for the whole season, we don't have a deep threat like Steve Smith who can jump with the best of them, and we are in a new system (yea yea so is Newton, but like I said Steve Smith). The guys you have on your list have been in the same system for as long as they've been with their teams and so have most of their wrs. Look at ochocinco him and Brady aren't exactly doing to well. I expect our offense to start clicking once our receivers get a better feel for this offense, but with all the injuries they are unable to put in the work to get to that level.
Needs:
Another good young corner back
A big long wide recover
A big strong defensive end
A good young #3 running back
An OLB that plays special teams
An interior line man
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Aaron Rodgers also throws more passes than Alex Smith, has better receivers than Alex Smith and the Packers have to rely on the passing game because their running game isn't that great. If we play the Packers our running game keeps Aaron Rodgers off of the field and we give our selves a chances to win.
Share 49ersWebzone