LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 436 users in the forums

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't care about rankings but this IMO is a good discussion and I think we are a bit overrated as well. No question we could hang with any team in the NFL but we have yet to face a team like the Patriots, Steelers or Green Bay. If we beat the Ravens in Baltimore AND the Steelers, no doubt in my mind we should be considered as one of the best in the NFL.

this.
I don't care about rankings but this IMO is a good discussion and I think we are a bit overrated as well. No question we could hang with any team in the NFL but we have yet to face a team like the Patriots, Steelers or Green Bay. If we beat the Ravens in Baltimore AND the Steelers, no doubt in my mind we should be considered as one of the best in the NFL.

Amen brutha.

The best thing is, this team is only going to get better. Not saying record-wise (they might have a tougher schedule next year, who knows), but the players themselves will keep getting better in these systems, key free agents will want to sign here and Baalke has proved he can add key rookie talent up and down the draft. Harbaugh could be building a power house here...we just need to settle on who the QB will be long-term. Once that's in place, watch out NFL because the 49ers could be set to dominate the league once again.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nfl/

They're Canadian... What do you expect?
I would expect this thread on the Redskins message board this week...
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Agreed.

I think if Roman and Harbaugh wanted to, they could pad Alex's istats more and call plays to get him more passing yards and eventually more Td's. I look at it and say why do we need to. No one is stopping our power run game, and it creates good clock management and a flow for the game. We are putting the ball in the hands of our best offensive player (Gore). That formula is a great way to beat those elite QBs in the playoffs... Control the clock and keep the elite QB on the sideline...They can't score 42 points if they don't have the ball as much and they get out of rhythm as well. When teams have hung in there with us and we needed Alex and the passing game, he has stepped up...Detroit and Philly...that's all that matters. When the teams with elite QBs need a play, all they can do is keep slinging the ball because they have no run game and no clock left to work with. One Dimensional!
The rankings are based on how the teams are playing right now. Why shouldn't we be ranked #2. We have only lost to Dallas in overtime and it was the beginning of the season.

I get the. Same feeling.....reminds me of aikman.

Would not shock me if Alex exploded if/when needed.

I am not an Alex guy.....but I think the offense is holding back
no, we're underrated. Best team in the league.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

I agree completely. Kolohe, what you're really saying is that we haven't seen an elite QB, playing with a full compliment of capable receivers. The last one we saw was in the pre-season (Schaub). Power Rankings isn't worth the paper it's printed on. It's match-ups. Our Achilles is against a fast group of WRs playing with an elite QB. I'd like to see how we do facing that type of competition again.

I think we made a statement in the eagles games
I think the 9er's are deserving of the #2 ranking based on the standings right. It goes without saying they need to keep winning to maintain that position. The loss of Joshua Morgan set the offense back a little because of the chemistry he and Alex had developed. If Crabtree, Edwards and Ginn get in sinc with Alex, and the running attack maintains, I think the 9er's are serious SB contenders......
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. The D. is pretty awesome. The special teams is awesome. The O Line is really good. The RB's are really good. Alex is plaing very good football and we have one of the best HC's in the leauge. How is that overrated? It's functioning on all cylinders.

Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nfl/

They're Canadian... What do you expect?

Hosers

I think power rankings are meaningless. I think if you look at who would be favored in games on a neutral field.. then I think the #2 rating is high. RIght now 5th seems about right to me.

These teams would be favored over the Niners (in my opinion) if they played on a neutral field:
Green Bay
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
New England

These teams would be about even:
Baltimore
Philly
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
New England has the dead last ranked defense in football, they shouldn't even be ranked in the top 5. We are the most balanced of the top teams, I am not convinced that any team in the NFL has a more complete TEAM than we do. Now does that mean we will win out, not at all, but I am sure we can beat any other team out there if we play our game. We are born again hard in an age of pansy asses in the NFL, no one looks at the Niners as an easy win anymore. If I am not mistaken, we have put every starting halfback we have faced on the bench hurt, not sure if that has ever happened in the league before. We are what Singletary envisioned come to be, and God help anyone that has the misfortune of becoming an obstacle to our inevitable victory.

I wanna tattoo that last line on my chest. except I'd change Singletary's name to something else. I don't want that dude's name on me. Thanks for this, guy. I'm gonna read this right before kickoff every sunday from now on to help with my game face.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
We are the most well-rounded team in the entire NFL. Teams like the Packers will have great difficulty beating us in a playoff type game.

- We are the best defense in the NFL
- We have a top rushing attack
- We have an amazingly efficient QB
- We may have the best coaching staff this season
- Our special teams are in the top 5

Packers? Amazing passing game. Absolutely nothing else.
Saints? Amazing passing game at home. Not much else to fear.
Ravens? Has anyone seen their past two games against opponents with a combined 2 wins?
Patriots? Amazing passing game. Absolutely nothing else.
in terms of our efficiency overall i do not see very many mistakes being made. could alex hit some big throws that were missed, yes. could we have not given up some big plays on defense, yes. have we had some dumb penalties or too many penalties, yes. overall though i think there is not much more room to grow in terms of efficiency. we are playing at a very high level which has been a problem for us in prior years. we have made big plays when needed on both sides of the ball. if we can keep that up then we deserve to be up there with everyone else. if we start to make a sloppy play here and there then i think we drop a bit.
Hell nah we have earned everything we have been handed this season...........its a blessing
Share 49ersWebzone