There are 151 users in the forums

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

I think we have the 2nd best record in football, and have gotten 4 of our 6 wins against tough teams.

however, you kind of have to look at power rankings and say "would the 49ers beat the Saints in NO in a playoff game?" Im not sure we would. are we better than the Patriots, Steelers, or Ravens? we will find out 2 of those 3. Were probably the 2nd best NFC team. were better than any NFC East team, were obviously better than any NFC West team, were better than the Bears, Vikings, and we beat the Lions on the road to prove were better. and we beat down TB, and are better than CAR and ATL. With the way the Saints played against the Rams, I think we could take them. we almost beat them last year on MNF as a crappy team.

The Packers are clearly better, but the flaw I see with GB, is they rely so heavily on Aaron Rodgers. their D isnt scary, and their running game is weak. We kept up with them in GB last year with the same crappy team that almost beat the Saints. I dont think theyre unbeatable. itll just be hard knowing wed have to win at Lambeau to get by them.
Originally posted by okdkid:
We are the most well-rounded team in the entire NFL. Teams like the Packers will have great difficulty beating us in a playoff type game.

- We are the best defense in the NFL
- We have a top rushing attack
- We have an amazingly efficient QB
- We may have the best coaching staff this season
- Our special teams are in the top 5

Packers? Amazing passing game. Absolutely nothing else.
Saints? Amazing passing game at home. Not much else to fear.
Ravens? Has anyone seen their past two games against opponents with a combined 2 wins?
Patriots? Amazing passing game. Absolutely nothing else.

We're going to find out if the old "defense wins championships' mantra holds up in today's NFL.
f**k being overrated, i rather be underrated.
they're not necessarily overrated, but their record affects these power rankings a lot.

They're not the 2nd best team in the league, I'm not sure they're even top 5 although you can definitely make a strong argument for it (this is just off the top of my head)

but they're for sure one of the top teams in the league this season and all you have to do is beat the teams on your schedule, and so far they've been pretty good at that
Originally posted by vrabbit:
they're not necessarily overrated, but their record affects these power rankings a lot.

They're not the 2nd best team in the league, I'm not sure they're even top 5 although you can definitely make a strong argument for it (this is just off the top of my head)

but they're for sure one of the top teams in the league this season and all you have to do is beat the teams on your schedule, and so far they've been pretty good at that

right now I think we're the 3rd best team in the league, behind GB and PITT. I don't think there's any other team I would put above us.

that doesn't mean that we would necessarily and always beat every other team in the league. but based on record, schedule, manner of victory, and what has happened to other teams (who they've lost to, etc), I don't see how there are 5 teams better than. Even Pitt has only beaten a New England (at home) which fields a very bad defense.
Overrated till we win a playoff game. Can't count out the saints/packers etc. they have all been there recently.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I think so. This team reminds me of the Bears team some years back that came out of nowhere to go 12-4.
Originally posted by Shaj:
I think so. This team reminds me of the Bears team some years back that came out of nowhere to go 12-4.

i think you're thinking of the 2001 Bears that went 13-3 and were one and done in the playoffs.

its certainly possible. but that team was led by Jim Miller (passer rating in the mid 70s, 13 tds to 10 picks) and Anthony Thomas (1100 yards rushing) on offense.

Not to say that our fate won't be the same--who knows?--but I think if you compare the two the defenses are probably a wash but our offense is for real.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
New England has the dead last ranked defense in football, they shouldn't even be ranked in the top 5. We are the most balanced of the top teams, I am not convinced that any team in the NFL has a more complete TEAM than we do. Now does that mean we will win out, not at all, but I am sure we can beat any other team out there if we play our game. We are born again hard in an age of pansy asses in the NFL, no one looks at the Niners as an easy win anymore. If I am not mistaken, we have put every starting halfback we have faced on the bench hurt, not sure if that has ever happened in the league before. We are what Singletary envisioned come to be, and God help anyone that has the misfortune of becoming an obstacle to our inevitable victory.

good post and I agree especially with the bolded.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think power rankings are meaningless. I think if you look at who would be favored in games on a neutral field.. then I think the #2 rating is high. RIght now 5th seems about right to me.

These teams would be favored over the Niners (in my opinion) if they played on a neutral field:
Green Bay
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
New England

These teams would be about even:
Baltimore
Philly

No way NO is gonna beat us on a neutral feild, they have serious d problems and both their OTs suck balls. New England has the 32nd ranked defense, you don't think we'd let them have the ball too often do you? Green Bay has the 31st ranked passing d and oline injuries. We have a more balanced team than any of the teams on your lists. You do know the best team usually wins right?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. The D. is pretty awesome. The special teams is awesome. The O Line is really good. The RB's are really good. Alex is plaing very good football and we have one of the best HC's in the leauge. How is that overrated? It's functioning on all cylinders.

This. I don't always agree with SanDiego but I do here.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
No. The D. is pretty awesome. The special teams is awesome. The O Line is really good. The RB's are really good. Alex is plaing very good football and we have one of the best HC's in the leauge. How is that overrated? It's functioning on all cylinders.

I don't always agree with SanDiego, but when I do I prefer
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

I don't always agree with SanDiego, but when I do I prefer

I'd say yes...definitely top 5 though.
Share 49ersWebzone