There are 175 users in the forums

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
New England has the dead last ranked defense in football, they shouldn't even be ranked in the top 5. We are the most balanced of the top teams, I am not convinced that any team in the NFL has a more complete TEAM than we do. Now does that mean we will win out, not at all, but I am sure we can beat any other team out there if we play our game. We are born again hard in an age of pansy asses in the NFL, no one looks at the Niners as an easy win anymore. If I am not mistaken, we have put every starting halfback we have faced on the bench hurt, not sure if that has ever happened in the league before. We are what Singletary envisioned come to be, and God help anyone that has the misfortune of becoming an obstacle to our inevitable victory.

For the sake of argument, remove the quarterback position from the NFL.

We have the most talent in the league overall. Defense is top 3, special teams is top 3, rushing game will quickly become top 3 if it isn't already.
Our passing game can pick up 3rd downs, protect ball and score in the red-zone. Smith might not be elite, but he is certainly playing above average this year and still has room to grow in the offense.

The only thing that is debatable about this team is the quarterback position. However, likely due to Harbaugh, Smith's style of play is complementing our team very well this season.
Originally posted by walker807:
You could argue for the 49ers to be the best at everything but throwing the ball.

This.

The media has created the thought process of elite QB = elite team, which isn't true. It definitly helps but when it comes to the playoffs, complete teams usually stop those elite QB's. Look at how the Jets continually shut down Brady/Manning in the playoffs by playing strong D and running the ball. How far did Manning ever get in the playoffs before the colts established a running game and their defense stepped up to the plate for that super bowl run? How many quality playoff games has Brady won since New Englands defense has fallen apart? How has Vick done in the playoffs lately?

A great QB can get you in the playoffs, but its take a complete team to make noise once they are there. When every team is on equal footing in terms of prep time and game planning (ie: no shortened weeks or looking ahead to the next opponent), this team is much more complete and built to win in january than most teams.
[ Edited by 5280High on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:11 AM ]
I don't think so. If you look at some key statistical numbers. The most important numbers in any sport. Points scored versus points given up. We are in the top five for points scored and are number 1 in points allowed. Our scoring differential is +11.42 points per game, only third behind Green Bay(+12.72) and detroit (+11.50) and we beat Detroit. This is why I think we are where we should be in power rankings. The last time I checked if a team can score more points than there opponent can, they win 100% of the time.
short n sweet. we are the most complete team. we dont win cuz of one player. Green bay and the pats heavily depend on their qbs
Originally posted by AmpLee:
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nfl/

The whole power ranking stuff is overrated. Why do we have to have a different thread every week on power ranking...
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nfl/

haha what kind of running game will the lions have without javid best. lol they never had one. this guy is so full of s**t
Hard to say. Steelers are playing tough right now. Ravens, Saints, Chargers, Jets, are up and down. Patriots no defense. Eagles and Cowboys still could be tough. Detroit is tough. Raiders, Chiefs, Bengals, Bucs, Bears are okay. Not sure what to think about the Bills. I would say right now 2nd or 3rd is about right. Rankings are fun to talk about but dont really mean anything.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

What you talk'n about, Willis?

Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by walker807:
You could argue for the 49ers to be the best at everything but throwing the ball.

This.

The media has created the thought process of elite QB = elite team, which isn't true. It definitly helps but when it comes to the playoffs, complete teams usually stop those elite QB's. Look at how the Jets continually shut down Brady/Manning in the playoffs by playing strong D and running the ball. How far did Manning ever get in the playoffs before the colts established a running game and their defense stepped up to the plate for that super bowl run? How many quality playoff games has Brady won since New Englands defense has fallen apart? How has Vick done in the playoffs lately?

A great QB can get you in the playoffs, but its take a complete team to make noise once they are there. When every team is on equal footing in terms of prep time and game planning (ie: no shortened weeks or looking ahead to the next opponent), this team is much more complete and built to win in january than most teams.
Agreed.

I think if Roman and Harbaugh wanted to, they could pad Alex's stats more and call plays to get him more passing yards and eventually more Td's. I look at it and say why do we need to. No one is stopping our power run game, and it creates good clock management and a flow for the game. We are putting the ball in the hands of our best offensive player (Gore). That formula is a great way to beat those elite QBs in the playoffs... Control the clock and keep the elite QB on the sideline...They can't score 42 points if they don't have the ball as much and they get out of rhythm as well. When teams have hung in there with us and we needed Alex and the passing game, he has stepped up...Detroit and Philly...that's all that matters. When the teams with elite QBs need a play, all they can do is keep slinging the ball because they have no run game and no clock left to work with. One Dimensional!
The rankings are based on how the teams are playing right now. Why shouldn't we be ranked #2. We have only lost to Dallas in overtime and it was the beginning of the season.
Rankings are horsepoop for the media to talk about.

After being on the bottom for so long, it's great to so highly considered. To your point, Yes - we are probably rated a liitle high BUT we are definitely in te top 5.

The Ravens offense is NOT better than ours. The two defenses is a wash. That game will come down to coaching and turnovers. Flacco is SOOO over-rated.

The Pats are a very well coached team and have been for a long time/ Our D is WAY better than theirs. Their offense is Tom Brady and Welker. Head to head we are better than they are.

The Steelers are a solid team on both sides of the ball. They would play us tough and again it would come down to coaching. Our D schemes against their Offense. Their D has lost a step but are still very good. I think we are about even with them. We are faster. Their QB is better and can make the tough throws.

The Packers are the best team in football. Can we beat them? Sure and we can beat any other team we play. We have to play almost mistake free football like we have been. Rarely giving up a big play and few if any turnovers.
Pretty soon Packers and Niners will have a tied record, and the #2 spot will surely be vindicated.
If so not by much. It's all splitting hairs at this point. BLUF. There is a real ranking tied to victories and we will get a shot at some good teams and the playoffs. Hopefully we'll get to settle the GB question on the field.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I don't care about rankings but this IMO is a good discussion and I think we are a bit overrated as well. No question we could hang with any team in the NFL but we have yet to face a team like the Patriots, Steelers or Green Bay. If we beat the Ravens in Baltimore AND the Steelers, no doubt in my mind we should be considered as one of the best in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone