LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

• Jd925
  • Veteran
I think yes.

I start to get concerned when people start talking about 13 to 15 wins and Superbowls etc. and listen to and read all the glowing remarks on everything the 49er's do. Sure the schedule looks favorable so we should get a bunch more wins, but how good is this team really?

I think I would probably rate them top 5 right now, but I think Pittsburg, New England, and the Ravens are still more proven. I also think the 49ers seem to have had a favorable schedule (catching the Eagles early before they got hot and catching teams like Washington when they are hurt and going down etc..) There are other good teams that aren't far behind such as the Saints, Bills, Giants, Lions, Jets, Atlanta...

Hey no doubt the 49ers look really strong these days, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.

Freddie P
[ Edited by Jd925 on Nov 4, 2011 at 2:24 AM ]
No. The D. is pretty awesome. The special teams is awesome. The O Line is really good. The RB's are really good. Alex is plaing very good football and we have one of the best HC's in the leauge. How is that overrated? It's functioning on all cylinders.
New England has the dead last ranked defense in football, they shouldn't even be ranked in the top 5. We are the most balanced of the top teams, I am not convinced that any team in the NFL has a more complete TEAM than we do. Now does that mean we will win out, not at all, but I am sure we can beat any other team out there if we play our game. We are born again hard in an age of pansy asses in the NFL, no one looks at the Niners as an easy win anymore. If I am not mistaken, we have put every starting halfback we have faced on the bench hurt, not sure if that has ever happened in the league before. We are what Singletary envisioned come to be, and God help anyone that has the misfortune of becoming an obstacle to our inevitable victory.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
New England has the dead last ranked defense in football, they shouldn't even be ranked in the top 5. We are the most balanced of the top teams, I am not convinced that any team in the NFL has a more complete TEAM than we do. Now does that mean we will win out, not at all, but I am sure we can beat any other team out there if we play our game. We are born again hard in an age of pansy asses in the NFL, no one looks at the Niners as an easy win anymore. If I am not mistaken, we have put every starting halfback we have faced on the bench hurt, not sure if that has ever happened in the league before. We are what Singletary envisioned come to be, and God help anyone that has the misfortune of becoming an obstacle to our inevitable victory.

We are pretty physical on both sides of the ball now...
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Yes, balanced. But developing and getting better.

Pansy asses?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. The D. is pretty awesome. The special teams is awesome. The O Line is really good. The RB's are really good. Alex is plaing very good football and we have one of the best HC's in the league. How is that overrated? It's functioning on all cylinders.

Gotta agree. The root of all this is ofcourse the coaching change. The talent speaks for itself. Harbaugh & his staff has single handedly brought more life back into the franchise in less than half of a season. That is an accomplishment in it's own right. The team in general has responded well to their own chemistry & the coaching. Super pumped to be sitting at 6-1 going in DC to play the 'Skins.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Maybe a little high, but we can only compares our selves to the current 31 teams.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
at this point, it's right on. There are teams with more talent and potential out there that can turn it on in the second half of the season.
You could argue for the 49ers to be the best at everything but throwing the ball.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. The D. is pretty awesome. The special teams is awesome. The O Line is really good. The RB's are really good. Alex is plaing very good football and we have one of the best HC's in the leauge. How is that overrated? It's functioning on all cylinders.

this.

I dont care about power rankings?
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I don't think we're overrated. All our wins were against opponents outside the division, except one. We lost to the Cowboys by 3. I'm a Patriots fan as well but they probably wouldn't even be ranked in the top 10 if it wasn't for Brady. Without Brady they are probably a 3-4 team. The Ravens I think is the only team that comes close to how we are playing......great defense, special teams, and "getting by" enough on offense.

Green Bay - Yes they are undefeated, but have they played any of the top defenses in the league? They will be playing a good charger defense this weekend and at the same time the Chargers have a pretty good offense, if Rivers doesn't make a mistake. You might not be able to stop the GB offense but their defense isn't top notch either. Key to beating Green Bay is run, run, run....keep their O off the field which we do really really well. I for one am rooting for the Chargers this weekend because if they can somehow give GB their first loss and we beat Washington...we are tied for 1st in the NFL.

Yes you can say we won our games against teams that were down, but that was out of our control. A win is a win. Detroit was a test for us and we passed. The next test for us are the Giants in 2 weeks, then the Ravens, then the Steelers.

The game I am worried about is the Ravens game. We are playing the Ravens on a VERY short week. I just hope Harbaugh can get them prepared and focused. Coming off a hopeful AZ win, we should be. That game is going to be focused on Harbaugh vs Harbaugh.
No, 6-1. /Thread.
Originally posted by Baldie:
I don't think we're overrated. All our wins were against opponents outside the division, except one. We lost to the Cowboys by 3. I'm a Patriots fan as well but they probably wouldn't even be ranked in the top 10 if it wasn't for Brady. Without Brady they are probably a 3-4 team. The Ravens I think is the only team that comes close to how we are playing......great defense, special teams, and "getting by" enough on offense.

Green Bay - Yes they are undefeated, but have they played any of the top defenses in the league? They will be playing a good charger defense this weekend and at the same time the Chargers have a pretty good offense, if Rivers doesn't make a mistake. You might not be able to stop the GB offense but their defense isn't top notch either. Key to beating Green Bay is run, run, run....keep their O off the field which we do really really well. I for one am rooting for the Chargers this weekend because if they can somehow give GB their first loss and we beat Washington...we are tied for 1st in the NFL.

Yes you can say we won our games against teams that were down, but that was out of our control. A win is a win. Detroit was a test for us and we passed. The next test for us are the Giants in 2 weeks, then the Ravens, then the Steelers.

The game I am worried about is the Ravens game. We are playing the Ravens on a VERY short week. I just hope Harbaugh can get them prepared and focused. Coming off a hopeful AZ win, we should be. That game is going to be focused on Harbaugh vs Harbaugh.

GTFO
Originally posted by English:
Yes, balanced. But developing and getting better.

Pansy asses?

Yes, we are a tough team that is physical in an era of soft teams. Seems like the talking heads want pass happy teams that play suspect defense, too bad for them Harbaugh missed that memo.
Share 49ersWebzone