LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Can the Niners attain No. 1 seed in NFC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Yes.

In fact, I just have a feeling deep down that the Packers might fall this week to San Diego. I also think they may drop one to Detroit.

If the Packers lost to the Chargers, they'd still have a leg up on the 49ers as the loss would be against a non-conference team. The 49ers will need help from the Lions to rack up a win or two against the Packers to even things out. Packers do have some tougher games toward the end of the season when they face the Giants, the Chiefs in their respective turfs. And who knows what the Raiders would do when they visit Lambeau Field later this year, as they have been the spoiler team this season, managing to pull out improbable victories.

LOL....read my post just above.

I was just saying that I don't think they are going undefeated.
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Happs:
Dunno, but Divisional record comes before Conference record....so lsoing to Detroit could REALLY hurt them.

From my understanding of the tie breaking procedures, divisional record only applies to break ties between teams within the same division.

Nope.

I'm pretty sure Divisional Record is the second tie-breaker (after head-to-head) regardless of wether the teams are in the same division or not. Then Conference Record.

If the Niners win this weekend and the Packers lose, the Pack will still hold the #1 seed because the Chargers are in the AFC.

Not according to NFL's web page regarding Tie Breaking Procedures:

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

The relevant portions:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
etc...

To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.

Which in order are:

Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.Strength of schedule.
etc...

As you can see, according to the NFL, division records are only used to BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION. There is no Tie Breaker to determine home field between division titlists that involves each team's division record.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
LETS GO CHARGERS!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
LETS GO CHARGERS!

You owe us this one, Norv!
Originally posted by valrod33:
Packers are going undefeated

That will absolutely not happen. I'm laying wagers with any takers from all the Packer homers I interact with all day every day. My pockets are gonna be heavy come the 1st loss.
[ Edited by WINiner on Nov 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WINiner:

That will absolutely not happen. I'm laying wagers with any takers.....

Bet Valrod

That will absolutely not happen. I'm laying wagers with any takers.....

Dunno, but Divisional record comes before Conference record....so lsoing to Detroit could REALLY hurt them.

From my understanding of the tie breaking procedures, divisional record only applies to break ties between teams within the same division.

Nope.

I'm pretty sure Divisional Record is the second tie-breaker (after head-to-head) regardless of wether the teams are in the same division or not. Then Conference Record.

If the Niners win this weekend and the Packers lose, the Pack will still hold the #1 seed because the Chargers are in the AFC.
Divisional record, then Conference, then SoS if memory serves, though It could be the division and conference swapped.
[ Edited by WINiner on Nov 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We are the best team in the NFC, Green Bay only has the best QB in the NFC. We have a much better defense, much better special teams and our running game blows theirs out of the water. In this day of teams being measured solely on their passing games, I cannot wait to see our complete team put the smackdown on the Packers, not many will have seen it coming.

Crack kills, bro.
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Divisional record, then Conference, then SoS if memory serves, though It could be the division and conference swapped.

See my post above and/or the NFL web page that explains this:

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We are the best team in the NFC, Green Bay only has the best QB in the NFC. We have a much better defense, much better special teams and our running game blows theirs out of the water. In this day of teams being measured solely on their passing games, I cannot wait to see our complete team put the smackdown on the Packers, not many will have seen it coming.

I am with you brother. If we play our game, I dont think anybody stands a chance against us. even in Lambeau

Nope.

The relevant portions:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
etc...

To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.

Which in order are:

etc...

As you can see, according to the NFL, division records are only used to BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION. There is no Tie Breaker to determine home field between division titlists that involves each team's division record.

I stand corrected.
  • Happs
  • Veteran

Nope.

The relevant portions:

etc...

Which in order are:

etc...

I stand corrected.

What I'm interested in is if GB splits the games with Detroit, which result will they use in the calculation, the win or the loss? Can't find an answer to that anywhere.

I've tweeted to Mike Pereira, former head of nfl officiating, and asked him. Probably won't reply though.

Any thoughts on this?
I'm pretty much to the point that if you play the Packers, I'm pulling for you.

Go Chargers!!

Nope.

The relevant portions:

etc...

Which in order are:

etc...

I stand corrected.

What I'm interested in is if GB splits the games with Detroit, which result will they use in the calculation, the win or the loss? Can't find an answer to that anywhere.

I've tweeted to Mike Pereira, former head of nfl officiating, and asked him. Probably won't reply though.

Any thoughts on this?

It may go by win% against common opponents. In that case, they'd have to win both games to get the same 100%.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Right now I'm only thinking one game at a time.

this, this and this.
Share 49ersWebzone