LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Can the Niners attain No. 1 seed in NFC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Happs:
Dunno, but Divisional record comes before Conference record....so lsoing to Detroit could REALLY hurt them.

From my understanding of the tie breaking procedures, divisional record only applies to break ties between teams within the same division.

Nope.

I'm pretty sure Divisional Record is the second tie-breaker (after head-to-head) regardless of wether the teams are in the same division or not. Then Conference Record.

If the Niners win this weekend and the Packers lose, the Pack will still hold the #1 seed because the Chargers are in the AFC.

Not according to NFL's web page regarding Tie Breaking Procedures:

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

The relevant portions:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
etc...

To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.

Which in order are:

Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.Strength of schedule.
etc...

As you can see, according to the NFL, division records are only used to BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION. There is no Tie Breaker to determine home field between division titlists that involves each team's division record.

I stand corrected.

What I'm interested in is if GB splits the games with Detroit, which result will they use in the calculation, the win or the loss? Can't find an answer to that anywhere.

I've tweeted to Mike Pereira, former head of nfl officiating, and asked him. Probably won't reply though.

Any thoughts on this?

It may go by win% against common opponents. In that case, they'd have to win both games to get the same 100%.

Good point!

I hope that's the case.
I want us to be like the Cards a few years ago. Where no one was giving them a chance in the playoff. They ended up beating 2-3 good teams on the road to reach the SB. Maybe we can be #1seed home field advantage but with an asterisk.

* they can't win with Alex Smith
They can get the #1 seed. It's real possible. They have to probably just about win out. The Packers won't lose many. I still think GB will lose 1 or 2. So Figure 14 - 2 for them at least. I think you might have to run the table and go 15 - 1 to beat them out for the #1 seed. Theoretically possible. But not very likely.
i dont think so

but i think were pretty much a clinch for the #2 seed

GB may be playing 5 teams with winning records but none of them are "elite teams" where we play 2 in ravens and steelers
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i dont think so

but i think were pretty much a clinch for the #2 seed

GB may be playing 5 teams with winning records but none of them are "elite teams" where we play 2 in ravens and steelers

GB plays 8 more teams with winning records, that's 8/9 of their remaining opponents. It's talked about in the article.
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We are the best team in the NFC, Green Bay only has the best QB in the NFC. We have a much better defense, much better special teams and our running game blows theirs out of the water. In this day of teams being measured solely on their passing games, I cannot wait to see our complete team put the smackdown on the Packers, not many will have seen it coming.

Crack kills, bro.

Name one other aspect of Green Bays team that is better than ours? They have a great passing game, but hey play terrible pass defense and don't have the special teams we do. We are better at running the ball, stopping the run, stopping the pass, in the field position game we have the best punter in the game, not to mention Ted Ginn and our place kicker is a match for theirs. They are the media darlings and like I said they have a beast passing game, but they are not as good a team as we are, I guess we will find out if we meet in the playoffs. Oh, did I mention they have offensive line problems?
We ARE the #1 seed.
Usually not a fan of BleacherReport, but this is awesome!
We are the best team in the NFC, Green Bay only has the best QB in the NFC. We have a much better defense, much better special teams and our running game blows theirs out of the water. In this day of teams being measured solely on their passing games, I cannot wait to see our complete team put the smackdown on the Packers, not many will have seen it coming.

Crack kills, bro.

Name one other aspect of Green Bays team that is better than ours? They have a great passing game, but hey play terrible pass defense and don't have the special teams we do. We are better at running the ball, stopping the run, stopping the pass, in the field position game we have the best punter in the game, not to mention Ted Ginn and our place kicker is a match for theirs. They are the media darlings and like I said they have a beast passing game, but they are not as good a team as we are, I guess we will find out if we meet in the playoffs. Oh, did I mention they have offensive line problems?

This.

• kray28
  • Veteran
Delusional homers are delusional.

The over the top overrating of this team is a bit sad. I think a lot of the younger fans are really too young to have experienced even a little bit of winning, and are just overwhelmed by its' intoxicating allure. Under that high, the delusions of grandeur and false hope are sure to follow.

But the reality is that Niners are just learning to win, there are both more talented and more experienced team than the 49ers, and when push comes to shove, they will beat the 49ers.....the ascent to the top is going to take longer than this.

There's plenty of reason to be happy....I finally see what looks like sustainable progress, after years of regress, I see competent coaching and quality play. But what I don't see is championship quality ball. Sorry, we're not there yet. No matter what the inner homer tells you. I think that if they keep building from this, there are championships in the future, but that time is not here yet. And the reason we know that spelled out in the style and quality of play we see from the team on the field. It really speaks for itself. Large numbers of penalties, poor or mediocre execution, overly conservative, play not to lose philosophy. Now there are other parts of the Niners overall game (defense and special teams) which are covering for these things, but that is simply not always going to be the case.
[ Edited by kray28 on Nov 3, 2011 at 12:20 AM ]

Not a young fan at all...and this is my 24 season following this team, to include 3 of the 5 Championship seasons. This group of guys are easily capable of beating anyone in this League and I believe they'll go deep in the postseason. This may be a delusional opinion of mine but I think your "analysis" of this team is incorrect. Then again that's just my opinion.
i think we are a lock for the #2 seed, GB's schedule just isn't hard enough
Originally posted by thechamber52:
Usually not a fan of BleacherReport, but this is awesome!

Thanks, man!

I wrote it
Delusional homers are delusional.

The over the top overrating of this team is a bit sad. I think a lot of the younger fans are really too young to have experienced even a little bit of winning, and are just overwhelmed by its' intoxicating allure. Under that high, the delusions of grandeur and false hope are sure to follow.

But the reality is that Niners are just learning to win, there are both more talented and more experienced team than the 49ers, and when push comes to shove, they will beat the 49ers.....the ascent to the top is going to take longer than this.

There's plenty of reason to be happy....I finally see what looks like sustainable progress, after years of regress, I see competent coaching and quality play. But what I don't see is championship quality ball. Sorry, we'r g for these things, but that is simply not always going to be the case.

As a fan and follower of this team since I was eight years old, I maintain my point that this is the most well rounded team in the league. I am not one of the younger fans as you will see if you check my profile, I just think that we have a better all around team than the Packers. Why do you think they are better? You gotta have more than a passing game to be a great team. In my experience a great team effort trumps a great individual effort most of the time. But I digress, time will tell if my faith is misplaced.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Nov 3, 2011 at 2:55 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Gonna be hard with the GB is playing but you never know. Im starting to get very excited about this team I think we might have a serious chance to do some real damage in the playoffs.

Why not us, why not now
NO BODDDDYYS, Got it better than us!!! That's why!!!
Share 49ersWebzone