There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Originally posted by paulk205:
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
Seifert was handed a great team in the Niners.

One more time: Siefert helped build that great team along with Walsh. He didn't just walk in the team in 89 from somewhere else. He kept up the talent level for 8 years, both by drafting (e.g. Floyd) and by attracting top quality FAs (most famously in 94). Not everything worked of course (JJ Stokes for instance). But who is perfect?

I will repeat The man came within one fumble and one BS holding call from bringing us to 4 SBs. Even so he won 2 rings and left the team in as good a shape as when he took it. He did screw up now and then: the 93 NFC champ loss was particularly painful. But so did Walsh: most people here are too young to remember the embarrassment of the Vikings loss at home, or the humiliation of the 86 Giants butt-kicking. They forger that we were rubbish the year after the first SB. Even the best coach ever can't be perfect. The NFL is a tough league. Why is Siefert specifically getting all this contempt?

He helped build that D as the DC. Thats correct.

That wasn't the question tho. We are talking about his time as a HC.

BTW...they guy responsible for drafting and signing those players was Carmen Policy, not George Seifert. Yes, George was a part of it, and I give him his due, but I'll take Harbaugh right now over any Niner coach not named Bill Walsh. Call it hyperbole if you want...thats just my opinion.
Originally posted by zozell:
I was at the game yesterday and I was having this discussion with my cousin and a few other fans in our section and most all of us agreed that the answer to this question is yes. While it's a given that he is better than Nolan and Singletary, this is basically a question of, do we think Harbaugh is a better coach than Mooch..

I think he will have a better coaching career than the Mooch and but do we think he is now at this level, better than the Mooch ever was?

if we win the superbowl this year he will be the best coach we've had since bill walsh...
No, he is better than Seifert.
Let's wait until after the season at least.

Seifert's career is complete whereas Harbaugh only coached 7 games.
I'll say one thing for Harbaugh, he is taking a losing culture of 8 years and getting his players to believe in themselves and the team. He is getting the fan base to believe in the team. Do you think it is any small coincidence that he built up Alex Smith, Michael Crabtree, and Carlos Rogers to the media. He is building their confidence and they are responding. It's happening in his first year and he didn't even have a full preseason to work with his team. It is early in his career, but that is the only reason I will suspend judgement when it comes to comparing him to Seifert.
This may be the best staff we have had since the Walsh era. Our coordinators on all three units have done a fantastic job in light of the obstacles placed in their way in this unusual off-season. The position coaches across the board have done a fine job.
I love JH and one day I think the answer will be yes. In fact one day I think we may pass GS in the opinion of most fans. However, Mooch took us to the playoffs multiple years and George won two Super Bowls, so again I think it is still premature to make that claim. Hopefully that won't be the case for much longer.
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
Seifert was handed a great team in the Niners.

One more time: Siefert helped build that great team along with Walsh. He didn't just walk in the team in 89 from somewhere else. He kept up the talent level for 8 years, both by drafting (e.g. Floyd) and by attracting top quality FAs (most famously in 94). Not everything worked of course (JJ Stokes for instance). But who is perfect?

I will repeat The man came within one fumble and one BS holding call from bringing us to 4 SBs. Even so he won 2 rings and left the team in as good a shape as when he took it. He did screw up now and then: the 93 NFC champ loss was particularly painful. But so did Walsh: most people here are too young to remember the embarrassment of the Vikings loss at home, or the humiliation of the 86 Giants butt-kicking. They forger that we were rubbish the year after the first SB. Even the best coach ever can't be perfect. The NFL is a tough league. Why is Siefert specifically getting all this contempt?

I remember that Vikings loss like it was yesterday, god.. I sat in my buddy's camper in the dirt lot while it continued to rain with my head in my hands. We even through an unopened bottle of real good champagne we brought in anticipation of celebrating a another playoff win out in the mud so we could beat on a Viking fan if they picked it up.

The Burt hits on Joe in that game you speak of, I'll never forget, it felt like I was getting hit almost..

I think JH has got to show lots more to be included in the conversation with Seifert. I clearly recall Seifert showing emotion on big TDs, he was great at the clenched teeth fist pump with a stomp, if any can remember.

The thing that has us all going, is we are winning again finally and the entire staff is just so good. It is "only 7 games", but it feels like 17 wins after what we have gone through the last 8 years...

Skins are GOING DOWN!!!!

NINERS!!!
Harbaugh is the best Head Coach the 49ers have had since Bill Walsh!
Originally posted by WINiner:
This may be the best staff we have had since the Walsh era. Our coordinators on all three units have done a fantastic job in light of the obstacles placed in their way in this unusual off-season. The position coaches across the board have done a fine job.

That is also a credit to Harbaugh. Remember when Singletary couldn't even fill the offensive coordinator position with anybody with real credability? That is an excellent point though. There is no way we have this season without those guys.

What contempt?
Originally posted by thedude:
Too soon to tell, but could be the best coach we've had since Walsh. I know I'll get lit up for this, but I was never a huge Siefert fan and felt he was mostly the recipient of Walsh's hand-me-downs and very aggressive free agent signings. I really liked Mariucci but think Harbaugh does have the ability to surpass him.

Ah-La Mooch... He inherited Seifert's team, and made them progressively worse...
Yes
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Too soon to tell, but could be the best coach we've had since Walsh. I know I'll get lit up for this, but I was never a huge Siefert fan and felt he was mostly the recipient of Walsh's hand-me-downs and very aggressive free agent signings. I really liked Mariucci but think Harbaugh does have the ability to surpass him.

Ah-La Mooch... He inherited Seifert's team, and made them progressively worse...

Let's see the year on year record:

13-3
12-4
4-12
6-10
12-4
10-6

And post season:

1-1
1-1
0-1
1-1

I don't know how that can be described in any way as getting progressively worse. You might wish for just a little more, but progressively worse it certainly isn't.

And I can't even face typing out the records of the next three.

Mooch did ok with us.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

Let's see the year on year record:

13-3
12-4
4-12
6-10
12-4
10-6

And post season:

1-1
1-1
0-1
1-1

I don't know how that can be described in any way as getting progressively worse. You might wish for just a little more, but progressively worse it certainly isn't.

And I can't even face typing out the records of the next three.

Mooch did ok with us.

Unfortunately, over the last 10 years the standards for the 49ers have dropped significantly. For the people who were around and remember the winning ways of the 49ers, he was a complete decline. Not a completely horrible coach but, I was glad when he was gone. Too bad it only went downhill from there. At least, UNTIL NOW!!!