There are 251 users in the forums

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Harbaugh is the best Head Coach the 49ers have had since Bill Walsh!

+1
Not sure if this has been pointed out but Seifert had a higher winning percentage as a 49er head coach than Walsh did. To say he inherited everything that Walsh did is a bit of a reach. He was the number 2 guy behind Walsh the whole time and certainly deserves credit for his contribution. We weren't blowing people out in the early years we started having success. It was Seifert's defense as much as it was Montana's passing. Granted, Walsh probably would have won the next Super Bowl had he not retired but 94 was all Seifert.

What type of success have we had since he left? Two miraculous post season wins against New York and Green Bay but not one Super Bowl appearance. People never gave Seifert his due because of his personality. He didn't love the limelight, he loved football, the San francisco 49ers and fishing.

Peole saying Harbaugh is a better coach than Seifert after 7 games is ridiculous. Is harbaugh better than Mooch? Yes, 100%. Didn't Mooch go 6 and 6 as the head coach at Cal the year before he came here?
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Jim Dandy!
I am much more impressed with the job Harbaugh has done after 7 games than anything George ever did. I know. That sounds stupid given the fact that the Niners won 2 SB's under Seifert. BUT, he had 2 Hall of Fame QBs, the greatest WR that ever played the game, and a lot of stars. How many current 49ers would have even started on the 89 team? I will go with Willis , Gore, and Justin Smith. ( I think Jones was more reliable than VD personally but I'm sure the young fans in here wont think that).

Seifert took over an amazing team and never had to rebuild anything. When he tried with a lousy team in Carolina he failed miserably. Harbaugh has already shown in a short amount of time that he has the ability to do that. He did it at Stanford and is doing it with the Niners. Now, it is still early but I really believe that Harbaugh is the better head coach.
It's the difference between a good coach and a great coach. I love Seifert but his only Championship team I swear coulda coached themselves. They'd put the rapeage on every single Champ since.
If everyone is going to point to Seifert's lack of success in Carolina please remember that Walsh was even less successful in his second sting at Stanford. Bill built the offense but George built the defense. How many coahes have 2 super bowl victories? Harbaugh hasn't even won a playoff game. Coaches, QB's, and teams are immortalized based upon their success in the post season. I don't care if Harbaugh goes 16-0 in the regular season if he gets bounced in the first round of the playoffs.
Originally posted by RayWersching:
Not sure if this has been pointed out but Seifert had a higher winning percentage as a 49er head coach than Walsh did. To say he inherited everything that Walsh did is a bit of a reach. He was the number 2 guy behind Walsh the whole time and certainly deserves credit for his contribution. We weren't blowing people out in the early years we started having success. It was Seifert's defense as much as it was Montana's passing. Granted, Walsh probably would have won the next Super Bowl had he not retired but 94 was all Seifert.

What type of success have we had since he left? Two miraculous post season wins against New York and Green Bay but not one Super Bowl appearance. People never gave Seifert his due because of his personality. He didn't love the limelight, he loved football, the San francisco 49ers and fishing.

Peole saying Harbaugh is a better coach than Seifert after 7 games is ridiculous. Is harbaugh better than Mooch? Yes, 100%. Didn't Mooch go 6 and 6 as the head coach at Cal the year before he came here?

+1. Is Harbaugh better than Mooch? It's looking like it but it's still too early even to compare it to Mooch. Who knows, we might be a one year/hit wonder. I'll get back to you guys after 2 seasons. Better than Seifert? I'll get back to you guys when we have championship trophies....Until then everything is measured in Superbowl wins as far as I'm concern and at this moment, we are just half way through the season.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by thedude:
Too soon to tell, but could be the best coach we've had since Walsh. I know I'll get lit up for this, but I was never a huge Siefert fan and felt he was mostly the recipient of Walsh's hand-me-downs and very aggressive free agent signings. I really liked Mariucci but think Harbaugh does have the ability to surpass him.

Ah-La Mooch... He inherited Seifert's team, and made them progressively worse...

Let's see the year on year record:

13-3
12-4
4-12
6-10
12-4
10-6

And post season:

1-1
1-1
0-1
1-1

I don't know how that can be described in any way as getting progressively worse. You might wish for just a little more, but progressively worse it certainly isn't.

And I can't even face typing out the records of the next three.

Mooch did ok with us.

Unfortunately, over the last 10 years the standards for the 49ers have dropped significantly. For the people who were around and remember the winning ways of the 49ers, he was a complete decline. Not a completely horrible coach but, I was glad when he was gone. Too bad it only went downhill from there. At least, UNTIL NOW!!!

Thats nuts.

I am old enough to remember the glory days and firing Mooch was one of the worst mistakes this team ever made.

As for Moochs record....the record fell dramatically because Jerry was getting old and Steve got his last concussion. Mooch rode out that storm and then rebooted the team with Garcia.

Mooch never gets the credit here that he deserved.

Everyone loved Siefert, but that team really coached themselves. There is a reason the team forgot about him when he was announced before his first Super Bowl and why they never lifted him on their shoulders after either win. They didn't view him that way.

He was a good coach and a good guy to continue the legacy, but he never had to rebuild.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM ]
Humm one of them is a historic coach who changed the way defense is played in the nfl.....his line rotations and gap blitzing with "tweeners" is still being used in the NFL.

One of them has 5 Superbowl rings.

One of them owns the two most lopsided Superbowl wins in NFL history as a head coach.

One of them has the best winning percentage of any coach in the history of the NFL.

Not debatable
At this point I honestly doubt Seifert nor Mooch would never go 7-1 in their respective eras with Alex Smith starting within even 'their' present WC-systems (aka adopted Holmgren hybrids).

The way this season is going, and if it continues throughout the next 5-years/decade, Harbaugh will probably be the best/most-consistent coach we've had since Walsh.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
We're in the middle of witnessing one of the best single season coaching performances in NFL history.
Originally posted by okdkid:
We're in the middle of witnessing one of the best single season coaching performances in NFL history.

i agree
Harbaugh is a god.

This, and it upsets me more when you have a bunch of young pukes hating on Seifert like they hate on Alex Smith. They weren't even out of diapers when Seifert was coach.
Friends like that who needs enemies?
[ Edited by laughsatyou on Nov 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM ]
If everyone is going to point to Seifert's lack of success in Carolina please remember that Walsh was even less successful in his second sting at Stanford. Bill built the offense but George built the defense. How many coahes have 2 super bowl victories? Harbaugh hasn't even won a playoff game. Coaches, QB's, and teams are immortalized based upon their success in the post season. I don't care if Harbaugh goes 16-0 in the regular season if he gets bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

I doubt you'd get bounced in the first round going 16-0
Share 49ersWebzone