LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by thojess:
Why no one seems to get this baffles me. The passing game is just fine. If you want to minimize mistakes, you don't throw more than you need to in order to WIN THE GAME. This isn't fantasy football. We don't get extra points for going over 200 yards passing. Sometimes I wonder if Fantasy football has rotted out peoples brains. We are owning the time of posession. We are owning the ground game. Why should we concern ourselves with passing yard totals? Joe Montana went over 4000 yards ZERO times in his career, and has one of the best winning percentages in history. Passing yards are WAY overrated by you kids these days. lol

This x INFINITY

+1! (although I think we miss Josh, he really is better than most zoners give him credit for)
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by 190836:
I voted no. I hope I am wrong, but Alex Smith's accuracy is concerning. He was missing wide open receivers all day yesterday. Every throw is either behind or way high. I don't know if you can teach accuracy.

I just don't find that to be true. A few does not equate to "all day."
He missed three just to Crabtree!

Crabtree is a mystery. Smith does not miss other receivers like he misses MC. It may be a mental thing or it just may be the lack of practice time together, or it may be both. Still, the fact that we are beginning to see an attempt made to stretch the field in this manner tells me that Harbaugh has seen enough progress in practice that he believes it can happen in the game.

Stay tuned...

You know I'm beginning to think Smith only tend to throw high to the left side. Seems like all the high ones are to Crabtree to the left. If he throws to the right like to Walker or Crabtree on the right, it's a little lower, with the exception of a quick out route which may be on purpose to lessen the chance of a pick 6.

Going to start watching for that next time See if the theory is true.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
this is incredible. These Alex bashers need to find anyway they can to put him down..

I think the entire webzone agrees.. Alex Smith is never going to be Tom Brady but god damn he is playing as effective as any of OUR starting QB's have within the last 9 years.

The man is completing 63% of his passes, 1250 yards, 9TDs to only 2 picks.. The ground game is amazing and he does not need to throw the ball right now..

Look at the Cowboys for example..

Against the Rams - Homo has 166 yards passing with 2 TD's and completes 59% of his passes
Murray has 253 yards rushing and they dominate
Against the Pats - Homo has 317 yards passing with 1 TD and 1 pick complete about 59% of his passes
The running game SUCKED ass and had about 58 yards rushing from their RB's and they LOST
Run the football, win the TOP, play good defense = Championship

Just because you cant talk about outragesous numbers that Alex put up to your friends when they say how much their awesome fantasy QB put up doesnt mean he sucks. we are 6-1 and he is having a fantastic year.

I think we are playing well right now, the issue is the playoffs. We run the ball well but we don't pass very well. Running the ball in the playoffs doen't mean what it used to. Look at the top playoff teams last year, they ran the ball just ok but they all threw the ball great. This isn't a Alex bash, this is a reality about our teams offense come playoff time. If we don't start to hit those deep passes and become more of a threat passing the ball we are cooked.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Oct 31, 2011 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
You know I'm beginning to think Smith only tend to throw high to the left side. Seems like all the high ones are to Crabtree to the left. If he throws to the right like to Walker or Crabtree on the right, it's a little lower, with the exception of a quick out route which may be on purpose to lessen the chance of a pick 6.

Going to start watching for that next time See if the theory is true.

Passes to the left go across the QB's body and involve a longer throw motion.

Typically, these types of throws are more forgiving because they're easier to mask from the defense. It's much easier for a right-handed QB to fake like they're looking right and throw left than vice-versa.
this is incredible. These Alex bashers need to find anyway they can to put him down..

I think the entire webzone agrees.. Alex Smith is never going to be Tom Brady but god damn he is playing as effective as any of OUR starting QB's have within the last 9 years.

The man is completing 63% of his passes, 1250 yards, 9TDs to only 2 picks.. The ground game is amazing and he does not need to throw the ball right now..

Against the Rams - Homo has 166 yards passing with 2 TD's and completes 59% of his passes
Against the Pats - Homo has 317 yards passing with 1 TD and 1 pick complete about 59% of his passes
The running game SUCKED ass and had about 58 yards rushing from their RB's and they LOST

Just because you cant talk about outragesous numbers that Alex put up to your friends when they say how much their awesome fantasy QB put up doesnt mean he sucks. we are 6-1 and he is having a fantastic year.

The motivation for this post is the discernible match-up problem we have with the Packers and Saints, and to a lesser extent the Eagles
Originally posted by nickbradley:

The motivation for this post is the discernible match-up problem we have with the Packers and Saints, and to a lesser extent the Eagles

what match up problem? Those teams have great offenses, but we have a great defense. All of those teams have shaky defenses. If we can run the ball, convert 3rd downs, and not turn the ball over, i think we match up well against all of those teams.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This is probably as good as its gonna get with Alex at QB. We have to keep running the ball to hide his impact on the game.

Running the ball and defense is whats gonna carry this team, not the play of the QB.
I think harbaugh is hiding alot of stuff. Also Alex is much better when you get him in a rythem. As is any QB. Look at the first half where we were pass heavy and often and he was putting balls in there. The second half he had big play opportunities but they were all on obvious passing downs (mostly) and came after long periods of just handing the ball off so you get a little tight I think. Plus Smith wasn't going to force any throws in there with a lead. I liked that SMith didn't throw anything that could have been picked at all. He could get it in there a little better but all in all he played a good game. You just know we have some more stuff in there for Vernon somewhere. Also I think the revolving door at wideout is slowing things a bit. Look how much better Alex to crabs was this week. WE had to get Braylon Edwards back up to speed too. I think there is plenty of ceiling left in our passing attack and that we will get better as the season goes on.
whats incredible is that you're comparing the rams to the pats
Originally posted by susweel:
This is probably as good as its gonna get with Alex at QB. We have to keep running the ball to hide his impact on the game.

Running the ball and defense is whats gonna carry this team, not the play of the QB.

No way, Alex has improved dramatically since being taken under the wing, I expect Alex to get even better over the years under Harbaugh's tutelage.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by laughsatyou:

No way, Alex has improved dramatically since being taken under the wing, I expect Alex to get even better over the years under Harbaugh's tutelage.

Not sure if you can fix inaccuracy issues but who knows.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Why do you guys keep posting 'Chemistry"?? Its not that! Alex has done a pretty good job managing the team but when you consistantly over throw guys its not chemistry its accuracy.

The only guy he has accuracy issues with is Crabtree

Yesterday he missed Edwards and threw behind him.
...when he had an unblocked rusher in his face.

sure you can, put sticky gloves on the recievers and his accuracy will shoot way up.
we won't find ourselves in a shootout with anybody. FACT.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by laughsatyou:

sure you can, put sticky gloves on the recievers and his accuracy will shoot way up.

And we can also give them ten foot stilts to make them taller and give them Stretch Armstrong arms.
Share 49ersWebzone