LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 306 users in the forums

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

I think that Harbaugh is opening up the passing game a little bit at a time as the season goes on, with Smith getting more in sync with his WRs every week. As a result, I'm hoping that we get up to 200 - 225 yards passing per game by season's end, while maintaining efficiency.

A good goal would be to finish the season with at least a 200 yards passing per game average, or 3200 yards. Smith would have to up his passing yards by about 20% a game from here on out to meet that goal.

I bring it up because I'm worried we may find ourselves in a shootout with the Packers, Saints, or Eagles in the playoffs and we'll be ill-equipped to keep up.
I think that we were on the verge against Tampa Bay, but then we lost who I believe our main target in Morgan, and that probably caused us to scrap a lot of plays that we had been rehearsing and set us back a couple weeks.
We have 9 weeks to do so.

I think we will.
Look at the 2nd half of these highlights, and tell me what you think.

Smith is not going to get alot of passing yards. Harbaugh wants to run the ball, control the clock, and minimize mistakes. The difference between this year and years past is that Harbaugh actually schemes the run game to give opposing defenses different looks and thus keeping them guessing at what is coming. I dont want Alex to have alot of yards because that means we are losing by alot and have to give up on the run game which is the teams strength.
With Gore going over 125 and scoring every game why would it?

-We need to get VD involved more.
  • Veteran
I voted no. I hope I am wrong, but Alex Smith's accuracy is concerning. He was missing wide open receivers all day yesterday. Every throw is either behind or way high. I don't know if you can teach accuracy.
Originally posted by 190836:
I voted no. I hope I am wrong, but Alex Smith's accuracy is concerning. He was missing wide open receivers all day yesterday. Every throw is either behind or way high. I don't know if you can teach accuracy.

he managed a 62.5% accuracy nonetheless.
I don't think it will get better with the receivers they are using now. I think Kyle Williams is a better receiver than Ginn and they should try using him more.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
With Gore going over 125 and scoring every game why would it?

-We need to get VD involved more.

Agreed... Strange that Vernon and Delanie weren't involved much against the Browns.....

Clearly we need to throw to the tackles more...100% accuracy

Seriously though, I think we will get a little better in the passing game, but I dont expect to see Peytonesque performances out of Alex. He just isnt that guy and we do not have the depth at reciever to spread teams out the way the bigtime passing offenses do. I think 200 to 250 yards passing and 100+ rushing will get it done with this defense and the high turnover differential. I would love it if they prove me wrong though...Edwards and Crabtree have real potential as a 1-2 punch, they arent speedsters, but they are nice big targets.
The passing game is a work in progress, we have had receivers in and out of the lineup all year, so timing is off. Morgan being hurt is bigger than some realize, he was our best receiver up until he was injured. I don't see us in a shootout with any teams, I don't think that there is a team with the defense to force us to abandon our run game, that has a qb that can light it up. All of the high powered passing teams are astonishingly weak on defense, so the gameplan against them is to do what we do best, pound the rock, hit a little play action and eat up clock. On defense we just have to keep the opposing offense from getting into a rhythm and we will do fine. Did I forget to mention we are one of the top special team units? This is a team built to beat teams like the Saints, Packers and Patriots, ball control offense, stingy defense and stellar special teams. We do not have to get into shootouts, we just have to execute what we do well. Some of you younger guys might think it is cliche, but defense and a stout running game wins championships. If Trent muthereffin Dilfer can be a Superbowl winning qb, there is no reason Alex Smith can't be.
Why no one seems to get this baffles me. The passing game is just fine. If you want to minimize mistakes, you don't throw more than you need to in order to WIN THE GAME. This isn't fantasy football. We don't get extra points for going over 200 yards passing. Sometimes I wonder if Fantasy football has rotted out peoples brains. We are owning the time of posession. We are owning the ground game. Why should we concern ourselves with passing yard totals? Joe Montana went over 4000 yards ZERO times in his career, and has one of the best winning percentages in history. Passing yards are WAY overrated by you kids these days. lol
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by thojess:
Why no one seems to get this baffles me. The passing game is just fine. If you want to minimize mistakes, you don't throw more than you need to in order to WIN THE GAME. This isn't fantasy football. We don't get extra points for going over 200 yards passing. Sometimes I wonder if Fantasy football has rotted out peoples brains. We are owning the time of posession. We are owning the ground game. Why should we concern ourselves with passing yard totals? Joe Montana went over 4000 yards ZERO times in his career, and has one of the best winning percentages in history. Passing yards are WAY overrated by you kids these days. lol

Actually I think the passing game took a step back, with Morgan Smith had tons of chemistry, with Edwards and Crabtree not so much. But I think if they both stay healthy, this passing game will start to heat up.
Originally posted by thojess:

This x INFINITY
Share 49ersWebzone