LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 457 users in the forums

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
uhh.....what passing problem?

I think peeps don't really understand what is happening here.

Can Alex play better? Sure he can. Did he miss some open player? Of course.

....but the Niners aren't going to be a 50 pass a game team. Thats by design.

While the NFL has moved to wide open offenses, defenses have changed to compensate. Teams go heavy in the draft for CBs, Safeties who can cover, and Pass Rushers. Its all about smaller, faster players who can fly off the edge and DBs who can cover alot of ground.

This is the NFL tho. EVERYTHING is cyclical. To COUNTER teams moving in that direction, the Niners are built to crush people. The Niners Will put 7 linemen, 2 TEs a QB and a RB on the field. Outside of the RB, the smallest guy out there is 250 LBs. Thos Edge rushers out outflanked because the line extends past them and the DBs all of the sudden are getting hit by 250 to 350 pound players.

The running game here is INNOVATIVE. If you can't be marveled by what you are seeing right now, you don't know what you're looking at. This is one of the most innovative running games I've ever seen. While everyone else is saying "you need a franchise QB to succeed", the Niners are Runing for 174 yards and passing for 174 yards and saying "watch us".

People need to start getting used to the idea that this is ALWAYS going to be unconventional. They were down by 23 points to the Eagles, never stopped running the ball, never got out of their base offense....and still came all the way back to win.

One of the best posts in a while.

Agreed, and considering the source I am not at all surprised. These aren't your daddy's niners.

These aren't your daddy's Niners

Precisely. The WCO was SOOO innovative in its time because nobody had ever thought like that before. They were UNCONVENTIONAL. People never thought that dinking and dunking the ball could equate to a winning team. They were wrong.

Fast forward 3 decades. Its a passing league. You have to have a franchise passer to win. You have to STOP franchise passers to win. The running game is devalued. RUNNING BACKS are devalued.

Enter a truly innovative run game that can gash to teams geared to stop the pass. Get those Under-valued RBs in the draft pretty late in the process (Kendall Hunter),

The Niners aren't following the pack...they are LEADING the pack in a new direction.

Precisely. The WCO was SOOO innovative in its time because nobody had ever thought like that before. They were UNCONVENTIONAL. People never thought that dinking and dunking the ball could equate to a winning team. They were wrong.

Fast forward 3 decades. Its a passing league. You have to have a franchise passer to win. You have to STOP franchise passers to win. The running game is devalued. RUNNING BACKS are devalued.

Enter a truly innovative run game that can gash to teams geared to stop the pass. Get those Under-valued RBs in the draft pretty late in the process (Kendall Hunter),

The Niners aren't following the pack...they are LEADING the pack in a new direction.

I think they are going to shock the world when they run into one of these passing teams that can't play defense. (Like they did the Eagles)
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:59 PM ]
Originally posted by 190836:
I voted no. I hope I am wrong, but Alex Smith's accuracy is concerning. He was missing wide open receivers all day yesterday. Every throw is either behind or way high. I don't know if you can teach accuracy.

I think he's only out of sync with Crabtree, and with the time he missed with pre-season games, they will get better as the
season goes forward
I love what the niners have been able to accomplish, but teams like the Steelers and Ravens are built to stop both the run and the pass. As the Browns showed we can be stopped-luckily we got off on the right foot before they adjusted. Plus remember, it was because of our defense.

Not saying has to be Brees or Brady or even Ben, but by deing able to throw for 250 yards in the playoff will be big. Why? because though Gore may get his 100+ yards, He will be better for it if teams need to worry about the pass. Smith needs to stop overthrowing his receivers and hit on those at least 50 %. I am not talking about the 7-8 yard dinks, but the 20 + yards (not talking about the ones that go 7-10 yards and the receiver does another 10+ yards from yac, but a ball thrown 20= yards in the air). The niners have been throwing but missing.

Do that and Gore will rip off bigger runs and more often to. JH and our OC are doing a great job schemeing, this offense although run centered, can without much more adjustment can be 250+ yard/game if Alex hits on those longer ones at the right time. He got 170+ yards so 3 passes of 20+ is doable. Right now teams loosen up on the play after when we just throw the ball and not connect. Imagine if the niners hit it and not just attempt it. Plus sooner of later teams are just gonna say screw it lets see you beat us with the pass.

Lots of fine posts in here, I enjoyed reading through... especially yours.

I think we'll be fine. Harbaugh's not stupid. He sees the issues with Crabtree and Alex, and will get on top of this. Alex can throw the 9 routes, but let's face it... they are much lower % passes, and we don't exactly have blazers that know how to adjust or snatch a ball wonderfully over the shoulder a la Kyle Williams early in the season.

Things will get ironed out... stop worrying and exaggerating the problems. 6-1 baby!!!
[ Edited by oldman9er on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM ]
Originally posted by A9R4Life:
I think he's only out of sync with Crabtree, and with the time he missed with pre-season games, they will get better as the
season goes forward

This is not true, although he has connected BETTER with some of the other receivers, if you watch the games- he has overthrown many of them through out the game and throughout the season. Many I began noticing is when he must hold onto the ball and go thru his progessions. When he goes to his first or second reads quickly he is less likely to overthrow. Its like when he has to think or wait for something to happen then react, he tends to, for lack of a better way to describe it, push his ball, thus it sails over the receivers head. Maybe that will be the key get bigger receivers so that he has harder time missing them.

Quick get Lebron James-can't miss him, plus James played TE in HS and Lebron ain't doing anything right now?
Originally posted by WildBill:
This is not true, although he has connected BETTER with some of the other receivers, if you watch the games- he has overthrown many of them through out the game and throughout the season. Many I began noticing is when he must hold onto the ball and go thru his progessions. When he goes to his first or second reads quickly he is less likely to overthrow. Its like when he has to think or wait for something to happen then react, he tends to, for lack of a better way to describe it, push his ball, thus it sails over the receivers head. Maybe that will be the key get bigger receivers so that he has harder time missing them.

Quick get Lebron James-can't miss him, plus James played TE in HS and Lebron ain't doing anything right now?

No more guys that refer to themselves in third person anymore,lol.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by A9R4Life:
season goes forward

Labron would get knocked the fck out. What he did in HS has no bearing on this matter.
First drive 3rd quarter.

1. pass to Braylon at sideline... all by himself... catches it but was standing out of bounds. Perfectly easy, catchable pass, and Braylon forgets his feet?
2. Gore runs weak-side for 6 yds
3. pass to Crabtree dropped on a drag route

4. punt

stupid Alex Smiff...
Originally posted by oldman9er:
First drive 3rd quarter.

1. pass to Braylon at sideline... all by himself... catches it but was standing out of bounds. Perfectly easy, catchable pass, and Braylon forgets his feet?
2. Gore runs weak-side for 6 yds
3. pass to Crabtree dropped on a drag route

4. punt

stupid Aleckz Smiff...

Amen.

Every time Alex throws a long ball, I am scared and waiting for an interception. I guess I am still a little effected by the years of abuse. It will take time for me to heal.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I think that Harbaugh is opening up the passing game a little bit at a time as the season goes on, with Smith getting more in sync with his WRs every week. As a result, I'm hoping that we get up to 200 - 225 yards passing per game by season's end, while maintaining efficiency.

A good goal would be to finish the season with at least a 200 yards passing per game average, or 3200 yards. Smith would have to up his passing yards by about 20% a game from here on out to meet that goal.

I bring it up because I'm worried we may find ourselves in a shootout with the Packers, Saints, or Eagles in the playoffs and we'll be ill-equipped to keep up.

There isnt going to be any shootout when teams play against our D. Harbaugh dictates the kind of game going to be played.
It's a passing league! It's a quarterback's league!

Except when the 49ers run over nearly every opponent and the s**ttastic Rams run over Drew Brees and the Saints with physical football.

It's a good direction. Many teams have spent time buying into the notion of being a passing league and built fast, but small secondaries to counter the proliferation of receivers. What happens when you have power football to counter that?
2nd drive 3rd quarter

1. Peelle lets Sheard slip off for run stuff
2. designed quick screen to VD... who can't break a tackle and actually just fell down like a tard
3. 3rd and 9 - big time 30 + yard 9 route to Crabtree complete !
4. 2 yd run Gore weak-side
5. stripped ball, Alex recovers... minimal loss
6. 3rd and 11 - designed Crabtree screen... he can't break a tackle...

7. punt

stupid Alex Smiff...
Originally posted by oldman9er:
2nd drive 3rd quarter

1. Peelle lets Sheard slip off for run stuff
2. designed quick screen to VD... who can't break a tackle and actually just fell down like a tard
3. 3rd and 9 - big time 30 + yard 9 route to Crabtree complete !
4. 2 yd run Gore weak-side
5. stripped ball, Alex recovers... minimal loss
6. 3rd and 11 - designed Crabtree screen... he can't break a tackle...

7. punt

stupid Alex Smiff...
He should be ostracized immediately and cast out from civilization. Maybe we should cut off both of his hands so he can no longer offend the fantasy football stat geeks while we are at it. How dare a guy that has been playing for seven years with the great honor of being coached by the likes of Nolan and Singletary do what other quarterbacks with inferior coaching and stagnant unchanging offensive systems do all the time? Man I hope we can win one game this year...oh...wait.
Share 49ersWebzone