There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why are we not using Vernon Davis?

• titan
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for titan.
We are using him! We would've gotten flagged for only having 10 players on the field! JK. It doesn't seem like it but we are. The big difference is he bought into the system and is doing all the necessary to win the game and not being disruptive when he isn't on the highlights.
It's pretty easy to answer why, since Morgan got injured. Put up the names of our receivers and ask yourself who would you doubled.

Crabtree, Williams, Walker and VD

Pretty clear they are taking away VD and let the other guys try to beat them.
Yeah, I don't get it either. Harbs supposedly runs a "very TE oriented" offense, yet our most talented receiving weapon is almost invisible this year. Even against a team like the Browns. Meanwhile their big "weapons" like Cribbs and today, Ogbonnaya got plenty of targets/catches.

I get trying to spread it around, and it was fun seeing Staley and Soap catch a couple. But why the hell aren't we making VD a bigger part of the O? Especially when we are trying to run, being shut down and a play action pass to him would be the perfect response?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It's pretty easy to answer why, since Morgan got injured. Put up the names of our receivers and ask yourself who would you doubled.

this
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

this

BS.

A. Morgan is not that good. His loss shouldn't affect VD's production significantly. Especially with Edwards back.

B. If it's at all true, it speaks to our problems at QB and play calling. Otherwise every top WR/TE or other receiving target would never catch a pass because they get "doubled".
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Yeah, I don't get it either. Harbs supposedly runs a "very TE oriented" offense, yet our most talented receiving weapon is almost invisible this year. Even against a team like the Browns. Meanwhile their big "weapons" like Cribbs and today, Ogbonnaya got plenty of targets/catches.

I get trying to spread it around, and it was fun seeing Staley and Soap catch a couple. But why the hell aren't we making VD a bigger part of the O? Especially when we are trying to run, being shut down and a play action pass to him would be the perfect response?

Makes sense to me. Made sense the last 2 years. But not now?....
Sopoago has better hands.
I bet VD is quietly frustrated, he can't say s**t cuz we are winning.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Not QB bashing here but because he's being covered tight almost every game I don't think Alex is even looking at him due to not wanting TO. There just isn't anything we can do about coverage
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

this

BS.

A. Morgan is not that good. His loss shouldn't affect VD's production significantly. Especially with Edwards back.

B. If it's at all true, it speaks to our problems at QB and play calling. Otherwise every top WR/TE or other receiving target would never catch a pass because they get "doubled".

i stopped at morgan is not that good. you obviously have no idea what your talking about
We don't pass enough to utilize all of our weapons.
Need to keep in mind, we have Crabtree, Edwards, Ginn, Walker, Davis, Had Morgan before the Injury, and we are even throwing to linemen.

I feel we can definitely open up the pass a little more in our games, especially today when the browns completely shut down our run game in the 2nd half.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Not QB bashing here but because he's being covered tight almost every game I don't think Alex is even looking at him due to not wanting TO. There just isn't anything we can do about coverage

Alex is SO CAREFUL with the ball. LOL. You could argue he is almost too careful. But it's better than the old Alex who used to turn it over 3 times and lose the game. I guess this is better. I just feel bad for VD because we are wasting him. He can do so much more.
We used him one game when he complained. The Bengals game. And he had over 100 yards and was hugely productive. Now we keep him in to block like Singletary used to... What's the point of a talent like that if you don't even use him? This is a guy who had 965 yards and 13 TD's with sub par QB's and sub par O Lines. I don't get that we don't use him more. Screw Crabtree and Braylon when he gets back and Delanie. Get the ball to VD!

This league and the Super Bowl are won with WRs not TEs. Who gives a hoot if VD catches 1 pass the next 5 games so long as we win every single game.
Originally posted by susweel:
I bet VD is quietly frustrated, he can't say s**t cuz we are winning.

I'm sure that Davis would prefer that he has 0 catches with a win rather than the opposite.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
We used him one game when he complained. The Bengals game. And he had over 100 yards and was hugely productive. Now we keep him in to block like Singletary used to... What's the point of a talent like that if you don't even use him? This is a guy who had 965 yards and 13 TD's with sub par QB's and sub par O Lines. I don't get that we don't use him more. Screw Crabtree and Braylon when he gets back and Delanie. Get the ball to VD!

This league and the Super Bowl are won with WRs not TEs. Who gives a hoot if VD catches 1 pass the next 5 games so long as we win every single game.

I care. He can be more productive. And so can our offense.