There are 227 users in the forums

Why are we not using Vernon Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
lol i have Vernon on my squad too and id gladly take 0 points if the niners win. but getting Vernon involved is beneficial to the niners and my team because the dude is a beast and nearly impossible to bring down with less than 3 guys

Why do you guys continue to say it takes 3 guys to bring him down? 3 cheerleaders maybe.
He was used alot to block in the Detroit and Dallas games. When you're facing a front 4 like those 2 have you can't blame Harbaugh for beefing up the line. Walker is a good receiving option as well, but isn't the blocker that Vernon that is.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
5-1, lol

but really, maybe he doesn't like the fact Vernon is so huge but plays like the Kevin Barlow of TEs when he has the ball in this hands

This, he should be lowering his shoulder and running over fools, or stiffarming them to the ground.
It would take five guys to bring down Michael huff
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
It would take five guys to bring down Michael huff

I think he has a big game against the Browns as they have nobody that can cover him, and their only real threat rushing the passer at the DE spot is Jabaal Sheard.

Rubin and Taylor should create a little bit of pressure up the middle, so I expect a lot of quick throws to Davis early
Forget which artical but vernon said himself during lions game pretty much everytime he ran a route he was either double or trople covered! Normally this could be bad for the defense but with the front 4 they have the collaps the pocket very quick. So by his blocking, and coverage that is needed to protect him he did very well. As a poster stated as well thus wont happen every game vernon will get his. With braylon coming back and the use of delanie they wont be able to just double n triple vernon especially since not many teams posses the d line of the lions! Bring on the browns go niners im ready for some f**king football! N loving crabs being healthy our line and d play and gore owns! Alex keep up the good job and harbaugh n co ghas this team in the right direction. Our sp teams are just sick as hell
I think it's a combination of things. The opponents are making efforts to take VD away. Couple that with occasional blocking duty for VD to help out the offensive line. And since VD gets double teamed, I think the coaches would like to established D. Walker as another weapon that the opponents have to cover. I would think that takes away plays that would usually go to VD.

I think VD needs to be patient as they try to establish other player makers on the team. Then teams can't just double team VD any more and have to pick their poison on every play.
Originally posted by saniner:
I think he has a big game against the Browns as they have nobody that can cover him, and their only real threat rushing the passer at the DE spot is Jabaal Sheard.

Rubin and Taylor should create a little bit of pressure up the middle, so I expect a lot of quick throws to Davis early

He will get 3 catches for 67 yards against the browns. I'm starting to hope we feature D-lay more.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by saniner:

He will get 3 catches for 67 yards against the browns. I'm starting to hope we feature D-lay more.

4 for 105 n a td would be sweet also

I'm not much of a stats guy, as long as we keep winning I'm ok with whatever the game plan is for each player. I'm sure VD would rather get some bling bling rather than some numbers on his stat line. But as far as why he's not getting his due...I take it the opposing D is keeping extra eyes on him.
Originally posted by tcniners559:
I'm not much of a stats guy, as long as we keep winning I'm ok with whatever the game plan is for each player. I'm sure VD would rather get some bling bling rather than some numbers on his stat line. But as far as why he's not getting his due...I take it the opposing D is keeping extra eyes on him.

That with Braylon and Morgan out. And Alex although improved isn't the top tier guy either. He could put up bigger #'s with Rivers, Rogers, Brady, Manning.
He'll be making long distance catches, starting very soon.
Harbaugh has to take attention away from VD because the WRs are all injured. Using Walker and the backs does that and VD will be used more in some games. The fact that we don't know what Harbaugh is going to do is great!

If Edwards come back the O should be able to spread the D a bit more and open opportunities for the other receivers.
  • carl
  • Veteran
He's got what, 3 touch downs? That's hardly ignoring him.

We also know that he's capable of being a very dominating player, a recent trip to the pro bowl comes to mind. Opposing defenses are very aware of what he brings to the 49ers and he's definitely a playmaker that they are putting focus on. That helps the other players on the 49ers get open and make plays themselves. With other guys on the team making plays, he'll have some of the defenses backing off of him and he'll be there to exploit opportunities. I'm confident that Harbaugh hasn't forgotten him and will be working to get him the ball if there's an opportunity.

It's a team sport. They're spreading it around. They're winning.

Go Niners!
Share 49ersWebzone