LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

Why are we not using Vernon Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We used him one game when he complained. The Bengals game. And he had over 100 yards and was hugely productive. Now we keep him in to block like Singletary used to... What's the point of a talent like that if you don't even use him? This is a guy who had 965 yards and 13 TD's with sub par QB's and sub par O Lines. I don't get that we don't use him more. Screw Crabtree and Braylon when he gets back and Delanie. Get the ball to VD!
Agreed. He could still become one of the best TE's to ever play the game IMO.
Originally posted by MILFS:

I love Harbaugh but this is one area I got to disagree with him. The absolute best talent and athlete on the team and he doesn't even use him. Even SingleBrainCell knew you get the ball to VD and his football IQ was not real high...
when we're going up against stout defensive fronts, he needs to block. It's part of the nature of the TE position, not to mention he's a good blocker. Not every team has D-lines like the cowboys or the Lions, so I expect him to be a target for Smith against the Brownies.
because the 49ers only attempt around 25 passes a game and when vd goes out he is usually double teamed
[ Edited by schmons on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:59 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I love Harbaugh but this is one area I got to disagree with him. The absolute best talent and athlete on the team and he doesn't even use him. Even SingleBrainCell knew you get the ball to VD and his football IQ was not real high...
It seems like Delanie has been getting a lot more action lately than Vernon.

They use Delanie as a receiver, full back, etc. I think VD could play all those positions but even better.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
when we're going up against stout defensive fronts, he needs to block. It's part of the nature of the TE position, not to mention he's a good blocker. Not every team has D-lines like the cowboys or the Lions, so I expect him to be a target for Smith against the Brownies.

I understand against the Lions because they have a beastly line. So keeping an extra guy in probably kept Alex alive. But in some other games throwing to him 2 times or 3 times or even 5 is rediculous. We need to get him the ball 10 times. He's incredible explosive. It makes not sense not to use what he has.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Be patient, he'll get his. Had to use him more blocking. He should break out this Sunday at the Stick.
Originally posted by schmons:
because the 49ers only attempt around 25 passes a game and when vd goes out he is usually double teamed

The lack of passes overall plus the double teams with Braylon injured and now Morgan too. The other teams don't respect much else that we have. Even Crabtree who is good is not fast. So you can cover Crab with one guy only. VD really just need Braylon to get his rear healthy and get out there. That would draw some attention away.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

This.

The lack of passes overall plus the double teams with Braylon injured and now Morgan too. The other teams don't respect much else that we have. Even Crabtree who is good is not fast. So you can cover Crab with one guy only. VD really just need Braylon to get his rear healthy and get out there. That would draw some attention away.

you might have just answered your own question.

It seems like Delanie has been getting a lot more action lately than Vernon.

They use Delanie as a receiver, full back, etc. I think VD could play all those positions but even better.

VD is definitely the better receiver overall. But I wouldn't put him at FB. DW is less covered. A lot of attention goes to VD.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Be patient, he'll get his. Had to use him more blocking. He should break out this Sunday at the Stick.

I hope you are right. I would just like to see us utilize the awesome talent.
He is the teams leading reciever. I don't think they are deliberately not giving him looks. Everyone is stepping up on all sides of the ball. Look at Bowman for instance leading
the team in tackles. Our "Team" is killing people. Efficiancy trumps everything. We are the most effiecient team in the league and he is our leading reciever, so i would say he is the most effiecient reciever in the league.
Our offense is fine. Why fix something that's not broken. You're questioning a coach who is 5-1. Maybe he's not getting touches because this is his role.
Share 49ersWebzone