Originally posted by HearstFan:
In each game this season, we have seen the 49ers introduce more offense (and even some new defense). Given the bye week gave the 49ers time to iron out previous plays and improve, AND extra time to add to the scheme, what new wrinkles in either offense or defense do you think will emerge this week?
THIS WEEK, maybe we see:
1. See the passing game attacking the deep middle of the field more (most passes have been called to the outside so far)
2. Soap running the ball? Or even throwing a pass? He has been lobbying for a chance to throw a pass, apparently he can throw the ball really well.
3. What do you think?
Here is what we have seen so far:
1. Three tight ends aligned on a side on line of scrimmage
2. Three tight ends in a tight bunch formation
3. Soap at fullback in 2 fullback set
4. Ginn on end around, and also on sprint flat sweep plays
5. Wham block run from several formations against (Detroit)
6. Anthing else?
1. Aldon Smith has evolved from DE to OLB, and flopping sides to rush from different angles
2. Culliver has become a good nickle DB playing on the outside receiver with Rogers moving inside. (Amazing how much they had him on Calvin Johnson!)
3. They seemed to have more ILB blitzes early in the season, but now they are leaving it to the "front 4"
4. Anything else?
I think this week, we will see more slant patterns and for the first time, a post pattern. Perhaps more screens. The aforementioned are two staples of the WCO and now that Alex is comfortable with both Moss/Crabtree, we might start to see more of these!
Take one to the house!
I think on defense, we'll see more straight-up defense. Both Brooks/Aldon should be playing together every snap this game and hopefully, rack up some sacks/hits/pressures while containing the edge well.