There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Did you know?

Originally posted by VaNiner540:
I just vividly remember reading it from a Troy Aikman/Jerry Rice "get to know the stars" book in elementary school. Thought it was interesting.

Brings back memories.... good ole book fair. I had the Jerry Rice/Steve Young one. Also, had a poster from there of 5 time super bowl champions 49ers with Rice and Young. Had both for probably a decade plus. P.S. I have heard that tale about Rice before as well.
Here are some Candlestick Park trivia tidbits:

-Candlestick Park opened on April 12, 1960 for the San Francisco Giants. Then Vice President Richard Nixon threw out the first pitch.
-Original Cost of Construction - $24.6
-Architect John Bolles' boomerang / shell baffle design was intended to protect the park from wind and cold. It did not work, as the stadium's swirling winds and cold are infamous.
-The 49ers first played in the stadium in 1971.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:
John Brodie's #12 jersey has been retired by the 49ers, although it was worn during the 2006 and 2007 seasons by Trent Dilfer who is Brodie's son-in-law

I knew Chris Chandler was his son-in-law. I didn't know Dilfer was.
Dilfer's not, Chandler is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2533021
Dilfer and Brodie met through former NFL quarterback Chris Chandler, who is Dilfer's friend and Brodie's son-in-law. The quarterbacks soon struck up a friendship through golf and common football experiences.
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:
John Brodie's #12 jersey has been retired by the 49ers, although it was worn during the 2006 and 2007 seasons by Trent Dilfer who is Brodie's son-in-law

Didnt know that about Dilfer, Brodie was a class act.
Originally posted by RayWersching:
Dave Baker shares the record for most interceptions in a single game (4)which he accomplished in 1960. He shares this record with 17 other players.
Didn't we get 6 picks against cutler?
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Dave Baker shares the record for most interceptions in a single game (4)which he accomplished in 1960. He shares this record with 17 other players.
4 INTs for a single player. 17 other players have had 4 INTs in a game.
Originally posted by MSteitz468:

Here's something I did not know:

Lance Alworth was originally drafted by the 49ers, but instead chose to join the San Diego Chargers of the fledlging American Football League
49ers running back Joe Perry was the first NFL player to have consecutive thousand yard rushing seasons.

edit: in 1953-1954
[ Edited by nannite on Oct 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM ]
Can't remember where I read this but...

Alex Smith's 35 TDs and 1 INT in the redzone in his first 6 seasons is the best out of any Niner QB (in that time frame).

As far as the other 80 yards....
The California Gold Rush (1848–1855) began on January 24, 1848, when gold was found by James W. Marshall at Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California.
Glad we are not the San Francisco 48ers.
[ Edited by highway49 on Oct 26, 2011 at 2:24 PM ]
49er Linebacker Frank Nunly was known as the "Fudge Hammer."

Thank goodness it wasn't Fudge Packer. Whew!
Not entirely accurate.

As the story goes, the Niners wanted Mooch to be the OC, BUT HE TURNED THEM DOWN. He didn't want to leave Cal's HC position to be a coordinator. When he did so, the 49ers essentially pushed Seifert out the front door and offered Mooch the HC position.
Originally posted by highway49:
The California Gold Rush (1848–1855) began on January 24, 1848, when gold was found by James W. Marshall at Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California.
Glad we are not the San Francisco 48ers.

So why is it 49 then huh huh
The gold seekers who came in 1849 referred to them selves as '49'ers tho I am sure if one came later the name was still used. They often wore red shirts and they sought gold...49'er colors.

Coincidentally, the city of San Francisco is also 49 square miles.