There are 144 users in the forums

Not tryin to jinx but what if Alex Smith goes down for the count?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Im still not sold even though i see a difference. I just want to continue the consistancy. Doing as well as Alex is doing, can 2nd and 3rd string come through in an emergency? Just been wondering this thought for a few days now. Lets say the Niners are 6-1, 7-1 or even 7-2, Alex gets hurt. Kap is still a bit pre mature and 3rd stringer is impressive but pre mature as well. I realize option are really small, but im wondering do they "just let it go" or "go for it all"? Go for it all i mean maybe dip into free agency for a Vet. Reason why im wondering is because this a team that shouldve been playing at this level a long time ago. I dont want Alex to get hurt and let a good situation go to waste.
Tolzien pulls a brady and takes us to the superbowl
Re-sign Garcia
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for boogie.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

And thats what i would be hoping for too. I think he can. He was great in pre season. Poised, smart with the ball, accurate. Dont know about the arm strength that much yet but i think he has a long pass. I dont think hes that tall though, then again either is Brees (6ft.).
Harbaugh knows how to manage quarterbacks and give them enough to be productive, but not let them sling the ball around. I like both Kaepernick and the steal is Tolzien. Two young guns that are going quickly. I think we would be okay.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Question: Would Harbaugh start Tolzien over Kaep? Doubt it.
Tolzien would start himself

Alex smith goes down

JH: "ah sh!t what are we gonna do???"
Kaep: "im not ready!"
Tolzien: "dont worry, i got this!"
  • fryet
  • Veteran
It is a good sign that Kap was 3 for 3 in relief duty (although his hand-offs were poor). Alex going down is the most likely way that the 49ers don't make the playoffs, however there is enough glimmer of hope with Kap that it may be possible even if Alex was injured. I would think with Kap starting, and 5 games against NFC West, I think defense plus Kap plus running game would be enough to win at least 3 of them, which would take us to at least an 8-8 record, which is probably enough to win the West.
The PRODIGAL SON WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 21, 2011 at 10:10 PM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
"We will rally around Colin Kaepernick, and we WILL play good football."

Whoever Harbaugh chooses I have a feeling they will just be fine. I think Harbaugh got his collective s**t togeather.
Originally posted by Janitor:

LOL! the look on Vermeil's face when he said that....
Alex Smith has gone through an entire season never missing a snap before. He's a pretty tough kid. But, I'm pretty sure that if he does get injured, it will be Colin Kaepernick taking the snaps. He threw some pretty tight spirals in cleanup during that Bucs game and he can really move around if he gets rushed.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Question: Would Harbaugh start Tolzien over Kaep? Doubt it.

That's the feeling I get. I suppose it comes down to reps with the scout squad and the fact that we've seen Kaep in an actual game suggests that Coach is being aggressive with the kid.

Ideally you want to keep Kaep on the bench, but given the sometimes shaky but overall workmanlike performance of our O-line, that seems to be on the reasonable side of aggressive to me.

Put differently, you have a pretty good idea of Tolzien's ceiling. You have no clue where Kaep's is at this point. The closer we get to the end of November, the more Kaep makes sense.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by Janitor:

LOL! the look on Vermeil's face when he said that....

We will rally...

I've watched enough NFL network to immediately read that sentence in Vermiels voice
Share 49ersWebzone